+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EFL Trophy

Yeh I can't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Yet not a single academy side has made the final let alone win it.
    I’m not as convinced as you that this is some underhanded scheme to have premier league academies in the lower leagues.
    Do you know what convinced me?

It was when Greg Dyke openly stated it in 2014!

When the changes to the old Johnstone's Paint Trophy were floated, many fans were up in arms. While they would have been justified to lose their sh!t over its mere rebranding as the Checkatrade Trophy – probably the worst name for a tournament since, well, the Capital One Cup – the real sticking point was the introduction of Premier League B teams to the competition. This has been a controversial topic ever since, in May 2014, then FA chairman Greg Dyke suggested that youth sides should be introduced to the English league pyramid and compete in a newly created 'League 3'. With the professed aim of improving the long-term prospects of the England national team, an FA commission headed by Dyke recommended the formation of a new division incorporating the top half of the Conference and 10 Premier League B teams, a plan which would supposedly provide young English players with more opportunities and competitive games.

There were, naturally, several major pitfalls with this plan, not least the fierce opposition it inevitably inspired among lower-league supporters. While the continental model of competitive B teams might work in the context of a different football culture, England is unique in the sense that there are clubs in the fifth, sixth and even seventh tiers who draw thousands of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Do you know what convinced me?

It was when Greg Dyke openly stated it in 2014!

When the changes to the old Johnstone's Paint Trophy were floated, many fans were up in arms. While they would have been justified to lose their sh!t over its mere rebranding as the Checkatrade Trophy – probably the worst name for a tournament since, well, the Capital One Cup – the real sticking point was the introduction of Premier League B teams to the competition. This has been a controversial topic ever since, in May 2014, then FA chairman Greg Dyke suggested that youth sides should be introduced to the English league pyramid and compete in a newly created 'League 3'. With the professed aim of improving the long-term prospects of the England national team, an FA commission headed by Dyke recommended the formation of a new division incorporating the top half of the Conference and 10 Premier League B teams, a plan which would supposedly provide young English players with more opportunities and competitive games.

There were, naturally, several major pitfalls with this plan, not least the fierce opposition it inevitably inspired among lower-league supporters. While the continental model of competitive B teams might work in the context of a different football culture, England is unique in the sense that there are clubs in the fifth, sixth and even seventh tiers who draw thousands of fans.
    He suggested it. I’m sure there have been lots of suggestions that have not materialised. The biggest being the breakaway european super league. Look at what happened there.
    Football fans across the leagues know what a brilliant set up we have. They recognise the importance of the football pyramid and it works. Until such a time when that fails, B teams or u23 teams won’t be in the EFL.

I don’t mind these sorts of cups if it’s used to give our reserves and youth players minutes on the pitch.

Football fans across the leagues know what a brilliant set up we have. They recognise the importance of the football pyramid and it works.
    Not across the leagues, across the lower leagues. I'm sure most Premiership fans would vote for it instantly out of self-interest. Greg Dyke was taken aback from the avalanche of outrage from fans of lower league clubs, who boycotted the competition in their droves.

Until such a time when that fails, B teams or u23 teams won’t be in the EFL.
    I hope so, and that's why I'll continue my boycott.

Wolves u21 are the fourth team in the group.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123