+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 📝Aidan Stone signs

📝Aidan Stone signs

He's a keeper!

Notts County Football Club have signed goalkeeper Aidan Stone from Port Vale on a two-year deal.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 24-06-2023 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added signature icon to title / fixed name typo

Rock solid signing that. Younger and less experienced than I was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Rock solid signing that. Younger and less experienced than I was expecting.
    On OS:

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...-stone-230623/

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    Don't really know much about the lad, but in Radar we trust.

Welcome Aidan!!!

League Two promotion-winner Aidan Stone believes he can add to the winning mentality at Meadow Lane.

The keeper, who joined us on a free transfer from Port Vale this afternoon, will be hoping to achieve more success this season having helped the Valiants reach League One in 2021-22.

“It was surreal to fulfil every lad’s dream of winning at Wembley and hearing your name being sung there by the fans,” he said.

“That whole season was a rollercoaster and the experience of playing a big part in winning a promotion at such a young age is something that helps me every day.

“There are more experienced promotion-winners than me in this squad but I definitely believe I can have an input and help the team drive forward from here.”

Stone’s ability with the ball at his feet is one of the key reasons we were attracted to him and he’s excited by the prospect of showcasing that side of his game at Meadow Lane.

He said: “Since I was at Burnley as a youngster, it’s something I’ve always worked on.

“I’ve had a good chat with Tom Weal, the goalkeeping coach, and he’s heavily emphasised how well he believes I can perform in the role. It’s something I’m definitely relishing.

“Being entrusted with the ball is something I’ve always wanted as a goalkeeper. That’s not a criticism of how any other team sets up to play, but I think the system in place here will definitely benefit me as an individual.“

At 23, Stone has his peak years well ahead of him and believes this move eclipses any other.

“I’d definitely say this is the most exciting move of my career so far,” he said. “It’s massive for me.

“I’ve already collected a good number of appearances for my age, and I now want to add more and more.

“I’m grateful to this club for giving me the opportunity to grow with them as a player and person, which I know I will given the quality of the goalkeeper department.

“I know I’m going to be challenged here and made better by the people around me.

“I’m already getting to know Tom and have briefly met Sam Slocombe, who was brilliant with me. I’ve got huge respect for him and the number of games he’s played, so I’m really looking forward to working with him – and also meeting Tiernan Brooks who I know is also an excellent goalkeeper.”

Stone is no stranger to working alongside quality team-mates having played understudy to Nick Pope, Tom Heaton and Joe Hart during his time at Burnley.

He said: “I apply what I learned from them in my work every day.

“It’s surreal to think that only a couple of years after finishing school I was training alongside people I’d looked up to.

“It was an unbelievable experience and I made sure I picked out lots of things they did on and off the pitch, the things that stood them out as Premier League goalkeepers.

“I carry that knowledge with me always.”

Now, Stone is focussed on his preparations for 2023-24.

“It was very important for me to get this sorted before pre-season began,” he said.

“I arrived at Port Vale a couple of weeks into pre-season and felt I was playing catch-up, so to get this sorted now is huge.

“I’m looking forward to getting fitter, stronger and sharper over the next few weeks.”

Tom's pleased!

Name:  Aidan.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  18.0 KB

He's growing on me:

He remained in goal for the rest of the season and saved three penalties in the penalty shoot-out victory over Swindon Town in the play-off semi-final.[27] He started in the play-off final at Wembley Stadium as Vale secured promotion with a 3–0 victory over Mansfield Town;
    Last edited by countygump; 23-06-2023 at 03:35 PM.

According to our statement, he has signed on a free, yet according to the Port Vale retained list https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/202...retained-list/ he remained under contract beyond June 2023. Change of heart from Vale maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by deadyoyomagpie View Post
    According to our statement, he has signed on a free, yet according to the Port Vale retained list https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/202...retained-list/ he remained under contract beyond June 2023. Change of heart from Vale maybe?
    I think Port Vale let him leave to seek first team opportunities

It was a free transfer of a contracted player, not a move as a free agent. Notts must have made an approach and the lad asked to leave. Vale could have asked for a fee but probably were just happy to make some room on the wage bill

Recommended by Granit Xhaka.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast