+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Income?

Universal Income?

Interesting topic on The One Show tonight.

It’s an idea being trialed in Wales and Scotland and a few areas of England, where everyone receives a £1600 monthly payment irrespective of their work status or income.

Non means tested, just a straight £1600 paid to all adults which negates the complicated benefits system.

Anyone like myself and the majority of people get taxed at the other end to ensure we don’t benefit.

I realise this will see lowlife and scum elements getting a free handout but I think it sounds like a good idea as it should take almost everyone out of immediate poverty.

I’d rather that outcome and suffer the scum element profiteering if I’m honest.

I also listened and thought the idea had promise.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Interesting topic on The One Show tonight.

It’s an idea being trialed in Wales and Scotland and a few areas of England, where everyone receives a £1600 monthly payment irrespective of their work status or income.

Non means tested, just a straight £1600 paid to all adults which negates the complicated benefits system.

Anyone like myself and the majority of people get taxed at the other end to ensure we don’t benefit.

I realise this will see lowlife and scum elements getting a free handout but I think it sounds like a good idea as it should take almost everyone out of immediate poverty.

I’d rather that outcome and suffer the scum element profiteering if I’m honest.

Terrible idea! It’s those with money who fiddle the most - remember the bounce back loans and Victoria Beckham and Branson claiming handouts! What about many of the self employed who declare very little earnings or nothing! So many people working still for cash in hand and don’t believe it’s small firms who pay it - I know some big companies that do it!

Illegal immigrants should get zero so how will this work?

For me business needs to thrive again on the high street and on-line companies like Amazon should pay more tax! The fact Amazon tax dodge is astounding!

After a certain period of time ( illness exempt ) the jobless should be given work or benefits should be withdrawn. Illegal immigrants should earn their food and roof over their heads immediately by fruit picking etc.

Handouts should be reigned in! I would also means test the NHS and State Pensions - if you have assets over X then question why anyone wealthy should get free hand outs. The state pension will soon go to 70 but know many with huge private pensions/shares who rake in thousands but desperate to take their 800 per month pension. The argument is people have paid into the pension pot but then you could say why is a modest million pound flat in London paying the same council tax as a ten bedroom 20
    million pound mansion. Surely council tax should be calculated on the worth of a property with no maximum limit! Fines should have no maximum limit as 10% of 20 grand a year would hurt someone the same on 100 plus grand a year. 10% is 10% so fair regardless of income!!
    Last edited by baggieal; 26-06-2023 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Terrible idea! It’s those with money who fiddle the most - remember the bounce back loans and Victoria Beckham and Branson claiming handouts! What about many of the self employed who declare very little earnings or nothing! So many people working still for cash in hand and don’t believe it’s small firms who pay it - I know some big companies that do it!

Illegal immigrants should get zero so how will this work?

For me business needs to thrive again on the high street and on-line companies like Amazon should pay more tax! The fact Amazon tax dodge is astounding!

After a certain period of time ( illness exempt ) the jobless should be given work or benefits should be withdrawn. Illegal immigrants should earn their food and roof over their heads immediately by fruit picking etc.

Handouts should be reigned in! I would also means test the NHS and State Pensions - if you have assets over X then question why anyone wealthy should get free hand outs. The state pension will soon go to 70 but know many with huge private pensions/shares who rake in thousands but desperate to take their 800 per month pension. The argument is people have paid into the pension pot but then you could say why is a modest million pound flat in London paying the same council tax as a ten bedroom 20
    million pound mansion. Surely council tax should be calculated on the worth of a property with no maximum limit! Fines should have no maximum limit as 10% of 20 grand a year would hurt someone the same on 100 plus grand a year. 10% is 10% so fair regardless of income!!
    This is about making sure the truly poor don’t fall through the cracks rather than feel vitriolic about people getting it who shouldn’t.

The good outweighs the evil.

That’s what should matter.

This is about making sure the truly poor don’t fall through the cracks rather than feel vitriolic about people getting it who shouldn’t.

Totally agree with the sentiments. Can’t blanket pay though as too many thieving t wats who are loaded who would benefit. You should know running a business Mick! We all know if you have a clever accountant he could play with the stock so it could show no profits have been made when they have hence the universal credit would be welcomed by some who milk the system in this case. So what about those who have assets of millions and multiple luxury properties but don’t show they have an income? They would be laughing all the way to the bank!

Robin Hood was right - take from the rich to give to the poor!

PS - when is Spare 2 coming out? Harry must be hard pressed for some cash!

Spot on. Nothing to do with fiddling. You can't fiddle it because EVERYONE gets its whether you earn nothing or are a high earner! The basic premise is the vast majority would still be ambitious enough to want to earn more. £19k would lift everyone out of poverty. More money would be spent giving the economy a boost.What it does do is take away the stigma from those who truly can't work of claiming benefits.Heard it debated many times on R4 in I guess much better detail than the lightweight One Show. Paid for by taxing the rich.

No idea if it's sustainable but an interesting concept that's been around since the 80's
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 26-06-2023 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Spot on. Nothing to do with fiddling. You can't fiddle it because EVERYONE gets its whether you earn nothing or are a high earner! The basic premise is the vast majority would still be ambitious enough to want to earn more. £19k would lift everyone out of poverty. More money would be spent giving the economy a boost.What it does do is take away the stigma from those who truly can't work of claiming benefits.Heard it debated many times on R4 in I guess much better detail than the lightweight One Show. Paid for by taxing the rich.

No idea if it's sustainable but an interesting concept that's been around since the 80's

Everyone gets it! Bit like the energy payments of £67 given to everyone - why would you give these payments to those who are not struggling! I can honestly say - I donated my payments to charity as should many of others if they cared about those struggling.

So someone who is wealthy who has not shown an income for let’s say 2 years - why should they get this universal credit payment?

Sorry - I don’t get it! We all know those usually with money are the meanest of all and only interested in feathering their own nests!

Everyone gets it! Bit like the energy payments of £67 given to everyone - why would you give these payments to those who are not struggling! I can honestly say - I donated my payments to charity as should many of others if they cared about those struggling.

So someone who is wealthy who has not shown an income for let’s say 2 years - why should they get this universal credit payment?

Sorry - I don’t get it! We all know those usually with money are the meanest of all and only interested in feathering their own nests!

There’s probably many people like me who have ended up supporting struggling family members due to the complexity and ineptitude of the benefits system.

It was so complicated that whilst my son was going through years of chaos due to his drug addiction, it was his mum and me who supported him……..trying to access benefits was a nightmare.

My one daughter had a nightmare when her feckless husband left her with a 12 month old baby, the benefits she could access were minimal because she was a house owner…….yep, with a mortgage set up based on the absent husbands income.

We ended up paying the t w a t off to ensure she didn’t lose the house but because she’s “owner” she can’t get any housing benefits.

This £1600 a month would’ve made a huge difference to my two kids and to my wife and I.

We have heavily subsidised a benefits system that was and is supposed to help people in these types of struggling circumstances.

I’m not bleating about our situation, I just know that there’s tens of thousands of people having to support family members due to ineptitude or even worse, people with no safety blanket.

It will also save millions employing inept benefits staff and the associated offices and infrastructure.

Everyone gets it!.......Sorry - I don’t get it!.....
    Fk me Al', that was a quick turnaround even for you 🤣 .

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Fk me Al', that was a quick turnaround even for you 🤣 .

No turnaround but am I missing something! There are thousands of individuals who have millions in assets but don’t declare any salary due to vast savings. So are we happy these people get this universal credit? We all know about the greedy wealthy t wats who tried to claim back bounce back loans!

I bet not many people who didn’t need the £67 per month energy support gave it back! There’s a sense of entitlement to those with money in that - if others get it then they should too! So much for helping those in need!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)