+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Favourite Opposition's Football Song/Chant

O/T:- Favourite Opposition's Football Song/Chant

I've always been a big fan of football songs and chants, not the catchy over done generic ones that become hugely popular at most clubs for a short time before quickly disappearing or the loud, simple but dull one worders like 'Yelllllllooooowwwwwss', I am talking the unique traditional ones that are synonymous with a particular club.

Ever since we redeveloped the San Sirrel and especially when we gave the Kop to away clubs we have always experienced the big boys bringing huge numbers to Meadow Lane and they were usually in great voice until a Draper or McSwegan quickly shut them up and sent them packing with zero points. What I remember most from these glorious days especially in the 1990s were some of the songs you couldn't help to hear. I have my favourites:

Loudest/Most Impressive - Deliah (Stoke)
    Favourite - Keep Right On (Blues)
    Soft Spot - The Lord's My Shepard (Baggies) and No Nay Never (Burnley)

Just wondered if anyone else had some faves from those years that they have heard at the lane when the away fans were in full voice?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 30-06-2023 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I've always been a big fan of football songs and chants, not the catchy over done generic ones that become hugely popular at most clubs for a short time before quickly disappearing or the loud, simple but dull one worders like 'Yelllllllooooowwwwwss', I am talking the unique traditional ones that are synonymous with a particular club.

Ever since we redeveloped the San Sirrel and especially when we gave the Kop to away clubs we have always experienced the big boys bringing huge numbers to Meadow Lane and they were usually in great voice until a Draper or McSwegan quickly shut them up and sent them packing with zero points. What I remember most from these glorious days especially in the 1990s were some of the songs you couldn't help to hear. I have my favourites:

Loudest/Most Impressive - Deliah (Stoke)
    Favourite - Keep Right On (Blues)
    Soft Spot - The Lord's My Shepard (Baggies) and No Nay Never (Burnley)

Just wondered if anyone else had some faves from those years that they have heard at the lane when the away fans were in full voice?
    I thought Delia(h) was connected to Norwich! Is that Alan Shepard the astronaut?

Oooh interesting question. I don't really have a favourite one as any non-Notts chant is hard to love, but I'd definitely say the loudest I can remember is Coventry singing 'Let's all sing together' during the playoff semi final at ML. I was sat in the Pavis and it was like a wall of noise.

Bristol City, drink up thee cider
    Sheff U, greasy chip butty
    Love those two.

Worst probably Millwall, no-one likes us, that hasn't aged well

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    I thought Delia(h) was connected to Norwich! Is that Alan Shepard the astronaut?
    Yes she is.
    No it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Oooh interesting question. I don't really have a favourite one as any non-Notts chant is hard to love, but I'd definitely say the loudest I can remember is Coventry singing 'Let's all sing together' during the playoff semi final at ML. I was sat in the Pavis and it was like a wall of noise.
    Great shout, love that song too fits the category perfectly. And yes it was very loud in the Semi Final whilst sat in the Pavis.

There have always been so many very loud and impressive songs sang to my left hand side during that time. Stoke fans being the loudest I can recall with their club anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah, that probably is the best of the lot and one (like Leeds' Marching on Together) that was designed to be sung on the terraces rather than just some random song that was picked up and run with.
    A lot of them don't sustain too well and there's passages where it always threatens to fall apart and die out, or they've changed the lyrics to a tune that was never meant to convey a sense of aggression or intimidation and it ends up like a jigsaw where you've forced pieces in to fit and the opposition isn't fooled, it just sounds awkward and childish, Fword with "Mull of Kintyre" being the perfect example of a car crash miss-match. A Scottish style folk tune about peace and tranquillity with silly sods in r*d then doing it all shouty about their clunky old 2nd tier standard ground.

Can't think of any better than Cov, which is unfortunate because they've long been a club I don't like.

As you said football I will take it as footie and the AFL. I love the horrible cheesy AFL club songs especially of course Collingwood Magpies which if I press the button on my beer cooler plays the club song. Awful and fantastic all in one.

Club song -> https://youtu.be/-uafSQf-0Kc

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yeah, that probably is the best of the lot and one (like Leeds' Marching on Together) that was designed to be sung on the terraces rather than just some random song that was picked up and run with.
    A lot of them don't sustain too well and there's passages where it always threatens to fall apart and die out, or they've changed the lyrics to a tune that was never meant to convey a sense of aggression or intimidation and it ends up like a jigsaw where you've forced pieces in to fit and the opposition isn't fooled, it just sounds awkward and childish, Fword with "Mull of Kintyre" being the perfect example of a car crash miss-match. A Scottish style folk tune about peace and tranquillity with silly sods in r*d then doing it all shouty about their clunky old 2nd tier standard ground.

Can't think of any better than Cov, which is unfortunate because they've long been a club I don't like.
    Yeah, it does sound quite a lot like 'Marching on Together.' I'm not particularly keen on Coventry either after some of the antics after the first leg at their place, not to mention the awful decisions that went against us over the two legs, but their fans were incredible at Meadow Lane.

'Goodnight Irene' by Bristol Rovers is another good one. I know they aren't the most popular team with Notts fans, but it works well as a random song that's become a football anthem for a particular set of fans.

In terms of teams further afield, this one by Eintracht Frankfurt is one of my favourite football chants ever (starts about 25 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqys...EuropeanUltras

No idea what it's called, but it sounds and looks incredible. There's another video of them singing the same song and the upper tier of their stadium is literally bouncing off the lower tier. Apparently it was designed that way!
    Last edited by slack_pie; 30-06-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast