+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My Captain my Captain!

My Captain my Captain!

I remember as a kid, although transfers weren't so frequent as they are today dreading every close season and praying we didn't sell John Richards or Kenny Hibbit. Even as a young adult, after Steve Bull, Andy Mutch and Robbie Dennison had fired us from the depths of despair at the foot of the football pyramid back to the respectability of what is now the Championship I prayed we wouldn't sell them. Now, ending my years of middle life I've dreaded losing Neves, Moutinho and Conor Coady. The first two were inevitable, Moutinho was nearing the end of his glittering career and Ruben was entering his prime, but Conor was the glue that stuck this present period of reasonable success together. I liked the lad from the moment he signed for us as a Championship midfielder that always gave that 110%. During those first few seasons where he was moved between midfield and right back I heard the noises of the doubters but I saw a player there. Nuno changed everything, the formation, the dynamic of the side, the belief and Conor Coady. He saw in Conor the vocal leader he needed to form 'The Pack', he also saw a player that could land a sixty yard pass on a sixpence. Nobody but nobody played a system with 3 at the back like we did, and they still haven't. Conor Coady has embodied everything a fan wants in a player and leader, on and off the pitch. He is a role model, that's why more than anything Southgate wanted him in the England squad. He's a thoroughly decent and likeable man that any dressing room would love to have, and he isn't a half decent footballer either. Every man I've mentioned in this post either has, or will go down in Wolverhampton Wanderers folk-law. Their names will grace the history books of the club forever. I'm gutted to see him leave but his place in our history is guaranteed. I wish him all the best, and perhaps someday in the future he may return in some capacity. Whatever happens he will go down as a Wolves legend.

A worthy tribute to a fantastic player and ambassador for our club Plates👍.

It’s tough seeing the departure of all the players who contributed to our promotion and the relative success we have had since. Only Raul and Jonny left from the side that lined up against Sevilla at Molineux by my reckoning.

Well said Plates. Conor has been great for us and will remain a great in the history of the Wolves.

Having only been a fan for 15sh years, Coady and Neves represent the best on field success I’ve witnessed as a supporter. Two players you could depend on match in and match out. Moutinho and Jimenez (I know the last two seasons have been tough but the first two were magnificent) will always bring about fond memories as well. I hope the door is always open for them to return in some capacity after they’ve all retired.

I don’t know what the future holds for Wolves. Could be the beginning of a slip or just the changing of the guard to another era of positive times. But whatever happens, we had a wonderful ~ half decade with these Wolves.

Mich, if you get 5 minutes to spare go on YouTube and watch some of the footage of the eras I've mentioned. Richards, Hibbit, Waggy and the Doog. Bull, Mutch and Dennison, you won't be disappointed!

I remember Emelyn Hughes captaining the League Cup winning side..

I was there when Emlyn Hughes captained the League Cup winning side against Nottingham Forest. So tragic that he should die of a brain tumor at the age of 57. You could not help but love Emlyn. Great Player and a great personality. Sadly missed.
    Last edited by Woking88; 16-07-2023 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    I was there when Emlyn Hughes captained the League Cup winning side against Nottingham Forest. So tragic that he should die of a brain tumor at the age of 57. You could not help but love Emlyn. Great Player and a great personality. Sadly missed.
    I was there too Wokes, what a player, what a leader and as you say a great personality. Fitting that he gets a mention in this thread, I saw lots of parallels between Coady and Hughes, in their respective time at Wolves.

Shame this site doesn't do 'likes'.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)