+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- The Wimbledon Championships 2023

I think the difference from 89th in the world to 3rd in the world is beginning to show, hope I’m very wrong though

Disappointing results for the Brits this year , and there is no hiding from it bar a couple of very impressive individual perfomances.

Turn my attention to the next generation and the juniors, where we have good prospects including an incredible 14 year old talent competing at Wimbledon this year.

How middle/upper class id this LOL. Umpire asks fans not to open champagne during serve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/66147991

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    How middle/upper class id this LOL. Umpire asks fans not to open champagne during serve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/66147991

I don't know there is a fair chance it was prosecco.

My mate had a sparkling wine nightmare on Centre Court last Monday just as the players were warming up. No umpire involved, but a string of apologies and two free Pimm's were needed to placate the two ladies in front of us that he unintentionally sprayed.

I was covered too but found it hilarious which really didn't help matters.

Have to say I was impressed with Rybakina last night she was clearly a class above Boutier, I just hope she learns from the experience and uses it to grow as a player and move British tennis forward as it needs it at tbe moment.

Also have to say watching Svitolina to say she had a baby late last year and come back to play how she has is just remarkable, some athlete, and the same goes for Azarenka too. An exciting last week to come on the women’s side.

So far the British juniors are doing their best to make up for the seniors overall disappointing perfomances and results.

Currently watching the very talented Hannah Klugman (name to watch out for in a few years time) in a great game against seeded (9) opposition on Court 3. One game from victory.

Not bad for a 14 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Also have to say watching Svitolina to say she had a baby late last year and come back to play how she has is just remarkable, some athlete, and the same goes for Azarenka too. An exciting last week to come on the women’s side.
    Just been watching that. Amazing game right to wire. A real shame that there was no handshake at the end, because both players contributed to the spectacle and gave their all. Victoria Azarenka isn't responsible for the actions of the Russian Government or her own country's stance on the matter. She came to the net and then realised it was pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Just been watching that. Amazing game right to wire. A real shame that there was no handshake at the end, because both players contributed to the spectacle and gave their all. Victoria Azarenka isn't responsible for the actions of the Russian Government or her own country's stance on the matter. She came to the net and then realised it was pointless.
    Agree totally, and I would say a classic in Wimbledon History. Real shame at the end as you say, but would have sent a powerful message if they would have at least shook hands, to a degree I can understand the crowds reaction if it was for the reason I suggested, game of the tournament so far for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    A real shame that there was no handshake at the end, because both players contributed to the spectacle and gave their all. Victoria Azarenka isn't responsible for the actions of the Russian Government or her own country's stance on the matter. She came to the net and then realised it was pointless.
    That's one way of looking at it, but not one I would agree with. Svitolina made her position perfectly clear before the game, she vowed not to shake hands with Russian or Belarusian players. Neither player could be held responsible for events in the Ukraine, but surely you must see a problem sharing a handshake with an opponent representing a country trying to kill your family and friends?

A bit like the England football team giving a Nazi salute in 1938.

And the 14 year old Klugman marches on with another straight sets victory

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast