+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What's the point?

What's the point?

On loan players. We get young lads that have huge potential signing up for Notts and can't even get on the bench. Captain of a Premiership under 21s must have something about them. Surely

You’ll see the point if we get a couple of injuries.
    We have a pool of 6 CB’s. Since the Sutton freak show we’re averaging less than a goal a game conceded. On such good form, why would we change that?

It's a good question. What's the point for us, or for the player?

For the player, I imagine that even being in a first team squad in men's football is good for them. If they're not a first team regular, they're still in first team training and competing against men. They're learning how to behave and conduct themselves, how things work away from elite academies, and increasing their chances of a job elsewhere if (as is likely) they don't make it at their current club. It's probably good for them to start bottom of the pecking order and wait for their chance and take it when it comes.

For us, as KtD says, it increases our squad depth. I wonder if a prem U21 player costs us more than our own players, or whether they're cheaper. Either way, we're not tied to down to long contracts or commitments. I expect we might see more rotation as the season goes on.

Think it takes a bit of time for Luke to be happy that they know the way we play

Quote Originally Posted by pjace View Post
    Think it takes a bit of time for Luke to be happy that they know the way we play
    Yes, that is the nail hit squarely on the head. To get into the side you have to be fully conversant with the why's, wherefore's, do's' and do not's of playing in a LW team.These young lads are learning and will be better prepared when their chance comes along, if they then don't take that chance they will fail in football.
    Looking forward to seeing that talent that has been hidden, when the time is right that is.

It seems to take at least a month, doesn't it? New player is signed, disappears and then reappears ready for the first team a month or so later as if by magic. Use the force, Luke.

There's some insight in Jodi Jones' recent interview where he said he had to concentrate, and sometimes forgot, the system at Malta versus at Notts.

I'd love to have the capacity to understand what it is that LW is drilling into the players and hope it's not all too complex, but it does seem to take time, even to experienced players such as Bostock and Didzy.

It’s also fair to say when the young lads were signed we probably weren’t expecting Brindley or Rawlinson to be in and around the starting 11? Both contributing more than I had expected.

I think Brindley is the reason, we have not seen either in the first team frame, especially now that you would expect them to be up to speed with the way LW wants them to play. Since moving to the centre of the back three, Brindley has been like a new signing, and a very good one at that.