+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tewksbury school stabbing.

Tewksbury school stabbing.

Not much fun these days in teaching adolescents I would presume.

I think back to all the “handy” lads that were at my Secondary school and I can’t ever remember seeing or hearing of a single incident either in school or outside school where a knife was part of the scenario in the 70’s.

Same when out at nights pubbing or clubbing, plenty of nights that involved a scrap and on one night in particular in Stourbridge it was pretty much an all out riot with the cops involved but it still only resulted in a massed scrap.

I do think a lot of this comes from a lack of boundaries and discipline from parents but it’s all too late now, we ain’t putting this bad genie back in its bottle.

Can anyone on here remember an instance in the 70’s or 80’s where they saw a knife at a scrap in this country?

There has always been violence using knives and I can recall instances of some gang members using Stanley knives in the late 70s and 80s but I get your point as incidents involving longer bladed knives seems to have rocketed over recent years. Don't know what the answer is but a lot of it revolves around cultures and the fact that the very worrying fact that the perpetrators seem totally oblivious to the serious injury and deaths they can inflict.

Always recall an old manager of mine talking about his own youth in the 60s when there was a fair bit of gang violence but it was always fists and no weapons and he always said that if someone was down there was an unwritten rule that no one then put the boot in and certainly no kicking heads. Looking back through rose-tinted glasses? Maybe, but the figures on knife crime today speak for themselves and one of the worrying things about it is the young age of many of those involved. That said, the growing number of incidents of ***ual harassment and bullying via social media amongst school age kids is also a concern. Something is clearly wrong about the way these kids are being raised that makes them think that such actions are acceptable.

I remember in my youth, late 50's - early 60's, when Teddy Boy gangs had regular fights, the only weapons I can recall were knuckle dusters and razor blades sewn into coat lapels so that if anybody grabbed the lapels to give a Glasgow Kiss they finished up with badly cut hands

Went to school in the 80's and tragically one lad stabbed another who died, neither me or my friends witnessed the incident but in court it was ruled an accident, the parents of the dead lad were very magnanimous saying "boys will be boys". Thankfully that was a one off.

In and around Handsworth you did hear of knifepoint muggings but rarely murders, nowadays it feels as if society is descending into chaos with a callous disregard for life.

I wasn’t around when many of you were perhaps, my loss I guess, because it sounds like it was perhaps a safer place. The issue today appears to be that young people hold grudges and they deal with them differently. Taking a knife into school!

I’d love to know the background of the individual. America is reeling from this type of crime. Only a few weeks ago a kid of, I think 7-8, shot their teacher.

I really hope we’re not heading that way. Feel we are though.

We will never be close to matching the USA for violence, there’s no way we’ll have private citizens hoarding AK47’s and walking around with a Browning 9mm.

If Tewksbury nut job had lived in an American culture it would’ve ended up as a mass shooting today possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    We will never be close to matching the USA for violence, there’s no way we’ll have private citizens hoarding AK47’s and walking around with a Browning 9mm.

If Tewksbury nut job had lived in an American culture it would’ve ended up as a mass shooting today possibly.
    I’d prefer you being right. However, the UK often a few decades behind the USA.

A positive we in the UK is that we do have, thankfully, gun laws in place unlike the USA. However, there are ways that one can get hold of an illegal firearm if one is determined, as has been proven in the past. If you’re going to kill, being caught with an illegal firearm is unlikely to concern the perpetrator.

The link below indicates the serious gun crime the UK. When you take into account our better legislation, the size of the UK to the USA and the difference in the size of the population, we perhaps should not be too complacent.

It does make you wonder if some of the young people of today are being to coveted and find it difficult to deal with disappointment or rejection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Not much fun these days in teaching adolescents I would presume.

I think back to all the “handy” lads that were at my Secondary school and I can’t ever remember seeing or hearing of a single incident either in school or outside school where a knife was part of the scenario in the 70’s.

Same when out at nights pubbing or clubbing, plenty of nights that involved a scrap and on one night in particular in Stourbridge it was pretty much an all out riot with the cops involved but it still only resulted in a massed scrap.

I do think a lot of this comes from a lack of boundaries and discipline from parents but it’s all too late now, we ain’t putting this bad genie back in its bottle.

Can anyone on here remember an instance in the 70’s or 80’s where they saw a knife at a scrap in this country?
    I remember seeing a supporter at the ground with his eye hanging out during a match v Coventry I think that was the 70’s. There were lots of knife incidents then (especially the spurs fans) that’s why it was such a shock v Coventry, hardly what you would call a nasty fixture. Regarding schools though, no, it was mainly scrapping.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)