+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On yer Bike ! R,I,p Tony Butler

On yer Bike ! R,I,p Tony Butler

Just reading the great pioneer of the football phone in has left us. What a character. I met him several times in the queens head pub in steelhouse lane in late 1990s.wore these bright coloured jackets. Always drank half pints. Said to me Brian Little would be a disaster apointntment. Rest in peace Tone. On yer bike.

R.I.P Tony , used to enjoy listening to his Friday phone in.

There were a few radio characters back in his day. Butler would be on a station called BRMB which is now long gone. He was sacked I think from his show for being physical with a presenter in a wheelchair. We Albion fans at the Brummie End gave him some right old stick when he came visiting the Hawthorns

Beacon Radio from Tettenhall Road Wolverhampton is another station now defunct. Liked to listed to the nearly famous Pat and Pete show on Beacon on a Saturday afternoon flippin hilarious at times, I think they are dead as well.

The original football phone in pioneer and a brilliant wind up merchant.

The “Jerry Springer” of football phone ins, the first, the template of a genre.

I think it was the Valencia match where he was at the game and walked in front of the Brummie Rd at half time and was given a shout out by the match announcer.

The Brummie broke into a massive chant of….

“Tony Butler, you’re a w anchor, you’re a w anchor”.

He responded with a massive “f u c k off” gesture to us in the Brummie before he bust out laughing and we did as well! 🤣

A real character.

On yer bike for the last time old lad….RIP.

Me and my wife were only on about him the other week. When she was single she used to go out clubbing on Friday nights. She had no interest in football or sport in general, but she always listened to Butler because he was entertaining.
    He was right about Little but wrong about Johnny Giles, he was scathing about Giles when we appointed him and was banned from the Hawthorns for the two years Giles was there.
    I saw him once at the crossroads by the Rag and Mop when I was walking my dog.
    I loved his show and though I didn't always didn't agree with him he said what he thought. It's a shame people have to be careful what they say these days.

I used to love listening to and phoning into them and his rival Tom Ross (got a few of his baggies bronc hats) shows.

Cannot be certain but I think it was him (but could be Malcolm Boyden) who used to get the listeners to get the prayer mat out for the port Vale play off final.

They were proper football phone ins.

These days the bell ends who do them know f all and are like nodding dogs to scared to lose their press privileges at the local grounds.

Going back to late 80s I used to like Myatt and Perry to on Beacon late night. Some great ghost story phone ins.

It was indeed Tony Butler BB who got the prayer mat out - it would be accompanied by the theme music 'from an unmade silent movie'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7GbSM2or8

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    It was indeed Tony Butler BB who got the prayer mat out - it would be accompanied by the theme music 'from an unmade silent movie'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7GbSM2or8
    Used to ask Baggies to get the prayer mate out and chant 'Hail Atkinson, Hail Addison' just around the time we were beating Valencia. Who on here was daft enough to do it? Apart from me.

I remember it well. Now everyone in Handsworth is doing it every Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)