+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women’s Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’ve been at ground level at the Birmingham Classic and I agree with what you say, you can barely see the ball and most of us wouldn’t return one in a hundred serves from an average women tournament player.

The point is, if you put the woman up against a man in competition it’s not even close, you’d be looking at 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

The quality isn’t even close.

That’s my point Mick! It’s not just about strength as its strategy and quality. Either of these men finalists today as you say would no doubt hammer the woman’s finalist 6-0 in each set. Not just that - each set would be over in no time at all!

Sort this out no problem , make women play best of five sets at the slams same as the men .

Sorry ladies but you'll just have to train harder won't you .

Equal pay , equal workload .

I'll give you equality ladies alright .

Females are not as physically strong as males, generally at least( I may get ripped appear t for that comment, but it is so. It is a fact). So if you ask females to play the best of five sets, it is likely that the standard of play will drop to an unacceptable level for it to be an interesting watch.

If females play for less time than males is it fair they fat the same pay. I wonder if they put in the same amount of effort to go through say three seats as a male does going through five sets, should they not be rewarded equally. Just a thought. Is there a wrong or right!

As a side note, I generally watch Wimbledon. However, the fact the club backtracked on permitting certain nationalities from playing, I could not be arsed as there is an element of hypocrisy.

Women’s athletic ability is generally about 10% worse than a man’s in you look at athletes in athletics.

The differential in tennis, football and cricket is massively bigger than that.

If Wimbledon was a women’s only event like Eastbourne the crowds wouldn’t even reach 50% of what they do each year, maybe 35% tops.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Women’s athletic ability is generally about 10% worse than a man’s in you look at athletes in athletics.

The differential in tennis, football and cricket is massively bigger than that.

If Wimbledon was a women’s only event like Eastbourne the crowds wouldn’t even reach 50% of what they do each year, maybe 35% tops.
    I’m not sure Eastbourne is a women’s only event these days. I’ll stand corrected if that is not the case.

The capacity at Eastbourne is around 8,000 I read, so even if it was a female only event I reckon it would be a sell out.

I get what you’re saying about the difference in strength. That was my point, of the training and dedication is there should they perhaps not be rewarded equally, all be it they are physically not as strong as their male counterparts.

I don’t see a problem with strength issues. Men are stronger. Womens tennis is very good though. The quality of Mens and womens tennis has shot up over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    I’m not sure Eastbourne is a women’s only event these days. I’ll stand corrected if that is not the case.

The capacity at Eastbourne is around 8,000 I read, so even if it was a female only event I reckon it would be a sell out.

I get what you’re saying about the difference in strength. That was my point, of the training and dedication is there should they perhaps not be rewarded equally, all be it they are physically not as strong as their male counterparts.
    My point is about Wimbledon though, no way would you get anything like the usual attendance if it was women only.

Women’s tennis is like watching women’s football and cricket, it’s slow and ponderous in comparison.

I’ve tried but I just can’t get interested.

In athletics though, for some reason I find it as enjoyable and in swimming and Olympic type sports.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    Females are not as physically strong as males, generally at least( I may get ripped appear t for that comment, but it is so. It is a fact). So if you ask females to play the best of five sets, it is likely that the standard of play will drop to an unacceptable level for it to be an interesting watch.

If females play for less time than males is it fair they fat the same pay. I wonder if they put in the same amount of effort to go through say three seats as a male does going through five sets, should they not be rewarded equally. Just a thought. Is there a wrong or right!

As a side note, I generally watch Wimbledon. However, the fact the club backtracked on permitting certain nationalities from playing, I could not be arsed as there is an element of hypocrisy.
    Just to give you my background so as not to come across as one of those old gits who still lives in the 70's .

I was a trade union rep for 25 years fighting for my members , worked with management for years to keep the company efficient and profitable with realism very much in play , trade unions are not some left wing militant anti capitalist organisations that the media would have you believe .

If I'm the union man elected to represent Ladies Professional Tennis Players and they tell me they want the same money as the men then I've to convince management I've a credible case .

As Mick as alluded to the Ladies don't bring in the same revenue streams as the men , the ticket prices , the sponsorship and advertising revenue won't be equal to the men's tournaments .

Secondly the Ladies game is an inferior product compared to the men and sporting products are valued by tv , sponsorship and advertising companies on excellence and quality , they aren't valued by blokes such as myself and Mick they are valued by the sporting market .

In such a situation I'd be telling my Lady Professional Tennis Players there's nothing I can do that can justify your demands .

The only card they have is to play the gender equality card and use it to shame not only myself but the actual sporting market or anybody else who opposes them with " Male Chauvinist Pig " ringing in our ears .

To be fair it works , it works very well for them .

Doesn't alter the fact that they aren't worth the same money as men because the market tells us that .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just to give you my background so as not to come across as one of those old gits who still lives in the 70's .

I was a trade union rep for 25 years fighting for my members , worked with management for years to keep the company efficient and profitable with realism very much in play , trade unions are not some left wing militant anti capitalist organisations that the media would have you believe .

If I'm the union man elected to represent Ladies Professional Tennis Players and they tell me they want the same money as the men then I've to convince management I've a credible case .

As Mick as alluded to the Ladies don't bring in the same revenue streams as the men , the ticket prices , the sponsorship and advertising revenue won't be equal to the men's tournaments .

Secondly the Ladies game is an inferior product compared to the men and sporting products are valued by tv , sponsorship and advertising companies on excellence and quality , they aren't valued by blokes such as myself and Mick they are valued by the sporting market .

In such a situation I'd be telling my Lady Professional Tennis Players there's nothing I can do that can justify your demands .

The only card they have is to play the gender equality card and use it to shame not only myself but the actual sporting market or anybody else who opposes them with " Male Chauvinist Pig " ringing in our ears .

Doesn't alter the fact that they aren't worth the same money as men because the market tells us that .
    One of the best posts I’ve ever read on here.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

Totally agree! I would have been cheated paying top dollar for the woman’s final - 2 sets - 90 minutes - very few worth while rallies. Now compare that to the men’s final which was full of quality, top tennis and five hours in length.

Absolutely no comparison!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)