+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saudi Arabian Football League.

Saudi Arabian Football League.

I wonder just how much talent they’ll be able to take from European football?

The figures are truly staggering, the fees and wages are dwarfing even the EPL.

As a player, I wonder how you square not only the ethical side of things but also the present lack of overall quality out there and the fact you’re sacrificing the chance to play at the great clubs of the world and the opportunity to play in The Champions League and the EPL.

I’ve heard people commenting on how it’ll be good for us because it’ll even things up in England as the stars get lured to SA but it I don’t see that.

If Man City signed Karl Bartley to replace John Stones we’d end up with the centre half from Woking or the like, our “quality” would drop in line with the drop in quality for the top clubs.

I try to put myself in a present day players shoes and contemplate this situation.

Boatloads of extra money coming in but then knowing each day that your personal level is dropping due to lack of competition and lack of motivation.

What would you do……be happy playing in the Prem on £5m to £10m a year or give up your best years to get two times or three times what you’d be paid in the EPL?

I don’t blame the likes of Henderson and Ronaldo taking the deal when you’re well into your 30’s by the way.

Just this morning there’s news that a SA club have offered £259m for Mbappe.

We can’t afford £2 for a corned beef bap!

America used to be the destination for players to top up their pensions, but these were players at the tail end of their careers, like Pele, Beckenbauer and George Best. But the Saudis are taking players who are in their prime.
    Money is always the prime motivator for players, Chelsea and Man City would still be the run of the mill clubs they always were without rich owners.

Blood money contracts.
    Leave your humanity at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    America used to be the destination for players to top up their pensions, but these were players at the tail end of their careers, like Pele, Beckenbauer and George Best. But the Saudis are taking players who are in their prime.
    Money is always the prime motivator for players, Chelsea and Man City would still be the run of the mill clubs they always were without rich owners.
    Agree with this, players like Henderson who has a year or two left I reckon it makes sense for them to earn a silly amount, his best days are definitely behind him.

But he is/was still in the England set-up, will he still get picked by Southgate? Probably.

I see it as a shame for younger players to move there as money can't buy happiness, not sure there would be much living over there but not sure.

Shame some of our dead wood is not good enough to play over there!

But, do they need to earn more money!? Of course they don’t, greedy b**tards!

Morals, ethics, setting a good or bad example, blood money etc, etc…

Top up my pension, FFS…

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Blood money contracts.
    Leave your humanity at the border.
    Like it (sadly so).

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    But, do they need to earn more money!? Of course they don’t, greedy b**tards!

Morals, ethics, setting a good or bad example, blood money etc, etc…

Top up my pension, FFS…
    Do you think any of them would have gone to City or Chelsea if they had still been top half championship/bottom half prem?
    As I have said before football is the new formula one, it's not about who has the best run club, the best scouts, the best acedemy it's about who has the richest owner.
    Clubs used to be built from the bottom and it took a few seasons. Now a club could be 17th in the prem one season and qualify for the champions league the next.
    The "game" holds little interest for me these days.

Do you think any of them would have gone to City or Chelsea if they had still been top half championship/bottom half prem?
    As I have said before football is the new formula one, it's not about who has the best run club, the best scouts, the best acedemy it's about who has the richest owner.
    Clubs used to be built from the bottom and it took a few seasons. Now a club could be 17th in the prem one season and qualify for the champions league the next.
    Yes, the richest owner and the biggest pay check, that’s what matters - so sadly but true.

My diminishing interest in football is closely linked to the above.

I still think the Saudi league is a flash in the pan. They have bought one or two in their prime but most are old and looking for their last pay check.

They will want to integrate world football at some point but find this difficult because they are buying players without energy or motivation. A half decent side will give them a hiding week after week.

I can’t see Mbappe making the move but if I’m wrong he’s resigned to not being a great.

On a side note, I had a right laugh seeing that Tottenham were plotting a bid haha

Same here Des and for quite some time now as well. I watched the All Ireland Hurling final yesterday here in Dublin.
    82,000 fans all mixed together in the stadium, watching 30 men with hurling sticks made from Ash in their hands smashing a sliothair (as hard as a cricket ball and about the same size) for seventy five minutes and most back in work this morning.
    Pure passion honest to God. If you are interested check it on YouTube. They only recently made it mandatory to wear helmets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF0BSVTNnOA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)