+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T RIP Randy Meisner

O/T RIP Randy Meisner

Bassist and founder member of The Eagles, Surprised that non of the old fogies on here who follow them have posted this

Lead vocalist on one of my favourites of theirs "Take It To The Limit".

My liking of The Eagles has come via a strange route after me and Mrs. CA saw a free concert in the park by an extraordinary tribute band Eagle Eyes last summer. We liked them so much we made a 400 mile round trip to see them in a paid concert last November and will probably do something similar this autumn.

RIP Randy

You beat me to it.

Randy played on all the big albums and hits and had an angelic, harmonising voice. He never really fitted in with Henley and Frey and there was a fair amount of friction. I don't think he ever really wanted the life-in-fast-lane lifestyle and was happiest going home to the wife and kids - which he did permanently in 1977 after yet another blow up with Frey. He seemed to go rapidly downhill after that and was a bit of a bumbling mess towards the end.

It seems odd that his successor, Timothy B Schmidt (like Meisner, poached from Poco) is still seen as the 'new boy" given that he's been with the band for the best part of fifty years. They were lucky to get such a good replacement. Not many bass players can sing high harmony and play the notes.

RIP Randy. You did OK for a kid from Nebraska.

CAM/CT, have to say gentlemen that I missed this story. The Eagles have always been one of my all time favourite bands. Easy going middle of the road and nothing too heavy is probably why I've always held a fondness to their music.

CAM, as you say, Take It to The Limit and Meisner' vocals will forever see it as one of their best.

Some other interesting facts on Meisner which I didn't know included, the bassist had endured numerous afflictions in recent years and personal tragedy in 2016 when his wife, Lana Rae Meisner, accidentally shot herself and died.

Meanwhile, Meisner had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and had severe issues with alcohol, according to court records and comments made during a 2015 hearing in which a judge ordered him to receive constant medical care.

Called “the sweetest man in the music business” by former bandmate Don Felder, the baby-faced Meisner joined Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Bernie Leadon in the early 1970s to form a quintessential Los Angeles band and one of the most popular acts in history.

RIP Randy and thanks for the sweet sounds that I often play.

You all beat me to it. As a big Eagles fan I was saddened to hear this news. Randy Meisner had a great voice as can be heard on Take it to the Limit. Due to poor health he didn’t rejoin the Eagles in later years when I saw them, although I was lucky to see Glen Frey before he died.
    RIP Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburghmiller View Post
    You all beat me to it. As a big Eagles fan I was saddened to hear this news. Randy Meisner had a great voice as can be heard on Take it to the Limit. Due to poor health he didn’t rejoin the Eagles in later years when I saw them, although I was lucky to see Glen Frey before he died.
    RIP Randy
    R.I.P Randy, Their music will live on for a very long time.