+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Men and women

A bloke in the pub says one day women will play in the same England team as the men.🙄
    Clearly he's not an expert on the female body and anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    A bloke in the pub says one day women will play in the same England team as the men.🙄
    Clearly he's not an expert on the female body and anatomy.
    A bloke in a pub once said that women will be given the right to vote. Everyone laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by BARBaggies82 View Post
    As far as I am concerned men and women playing football are two different sports.

I cannot stand the women's game. It's slow, cumbersome and it is never, EVER, going to be in the same league as the mens game....

....so WHY do the BBC, Sky sports et al lump the two into the same category on their apps and websites?
    I have no interest in the women's world cup but I have to trawl through all that crap before I can read anything about the men's game.

Sort it out
    I have no issue with women’s sport. I do take issue however, with the fact that the BBC, Sky etc. do not have separate pages for women’s and men’s sport. They are the same sport but it is gender related. I may watch some of the women’s World Cup, it is not played at the same pace as the men’s but it’s ok.

Just have a page that says men’s football, cricket, tennis and a page for the female equivalent. It’s not we se+ist, it is simply for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    A bloke in a pub once said that women will be given the right to vote. Everyone laughed.
    Even if a woman was deemed to be of the same physical and technical skill as a man I don’t ever see them competing in the same teams as men in a contact sport.

When you just consider all the uproar that’ll occur once a lump like Kyle Bartley mistimes a tackle and sends a woman cartwheeling into a hospital bed.

This sort of stuff is a walking court case in every match

Add to that all of the snowflakes who’ll be saying it’s intentional and that it’s assault etc.

I have no issue in athletics, mixed Triathlon for example works well and the same in mixed athletic events.

There’s a reason why crowds flock to elite men’s football and women’s is a much harder sell.

It’s the same reason 23,000 turn up to watch Albion and 600 go to watch Stourbridge FC……it’s all about quality of product.

Some of the goalkeeping at the women’s WC has been like mens keeping in the early 1900’s, just awful.

They are still trying to sell us “ The Kings New Clothes”……I’m not interested in purchasing thanks all the same.

Like I say though, I do enjoy women’s athletics.

Women's football is fine for those who play it and for those who choose to watch it, I don't have a problem with either.

I've tried watching it and can't, as far as I'm concerned not watching it is fine with me as I don't feel the need to whine about others enjoying themselves.

I don't watch netball or rounders either as they hold about as much interest for me as women's football.

Plenty of women attend men's games and have no interest in the women's game either, my wife being one of them.

It isn't a crime to enjoy the women's game and my only problem with it is when it's implied you're a se xist misogynist if you don't watch or openly support the women's game.

Best of luck with accusing my wife of being a se xist misogynist but then I suppose some would argue she's been influenced by a se xist misogynist.

And that just isn't true as she rarely cooks anything I can actually taste, can barely iron and rarely washes the dishes properly proving I don't influence her decisions and actions 😊 .

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Enjoy watching the girls! More quality and passion than some men ie Grant, Reach and a few others. Seen some cracking goals on a one on one but yet we don’t have a proven striker ourselves who can do this.

Credit to the girls for improving! Equal pay though? No!
    I agree. Can’t compare it with the mens game but it has come on tons in recent years.

I have no problem with women playing any sport, except boxing, as that doesn’t sit well with me. My gripe is the way that the media keep pushing it and trying to make out that the general public, both male and female, are as interested as they make out. The public just isn’t. Regarding equal pay, that’s just ridiculous. Women’s club football brings in a couple of thousand fans at most whereas the men’s game brings in up to 70,000 on occasions. The women just don’t bring the money into the game. In tennis women get the same prize money as the men and play two sets less. Why? Equality works both ways. I think that the media need to reassess its priorities.

I think that anyone, regardless of their *** (by which I mean male/female/trans) should be able to play and compete in any sport they wish whether that is football, an athletic event or boxing. But it seems plain and wilfully stupid to deny that there are key physical differences between the ***es which enable one *** to be inherently "better" at certain sports than others.

Competitive sports should be inclusive but they also have to be fair. This means they have to take into account inherent advantages one *** has over another and the recent furore over whether transwomen should be able to compete in women's events is a case in point. It is disingenuous of certain extremists to claim that not allowing transwomen to compete in women's events is a breach of equality law because they are deliberately ignoring the physical differences. Whatever happened to "equal but different"?

As for pay, I know that in the real world it certainly is not the case that pay is based on "worth" (e.g. nurses pay v the salaries of celebrity tv presenters) but the basic concept of men/women/trans being paid the same for doing the same job should still apply across the board. But "doing the same job" clearly cannot mean that everyone gets paid the same as position, performance and ability all come into it. A tv presenter who can demonstrate they pull in a larger audience is then going to attract a bigger salary than others. A manager whose performance against their KPI s is better than others will get paid more. The CEO of a multi million pound business will earn more than that of a small business. As long as this is applied equally to all with no discrimination based on the ***/colour/age etc of the individual then I don't see anything wrong. If women's tennis or football does not draw the same amount of revenue as the men's game then that will effect earnings in the sport. Same as lower league men's sports not attracting the same revenue and salaries as higher ones. As long as there is a kind of relative pay band and a form of minimum pay to protect those at the bottom then I don't see a problem.

Men’s football, even at non league level is being compromised to support hugely loss making women’s football.

This is because the likes of Stourbridge FC are now at level three and having to pay player wages, wages that THEY THEMSELVES cannot sustain!

This is just plain stupid.

The pot you generate should be what you get paid from, their pay is artificial.

Whilst I have nothing against the investment in women's football and fully support it, I totally understand your point. There is only ever so much money in the pot to draw from. If the club is at a level it now needs to pay its players a higher wage to meet the going rate then this is a key priority along with the costs of maintaining the ground etc. Only once the essential costs are covered can you then start looking at spending in other areas whether that is investment in women's football or in improving the ground/facilities but if there is no money left to do so you surely cannot spend what you don't have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)