+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sciatica!

Sciatica!

I’ve had it for years in me lower back and down to my left buttock and at times to me knee but I’ve now got what I think is the same issue causing my numbness and tingling in my left ankle and foot!

Any other sufferers in here?

It’s an absolute b a s t a r d, really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’ve had it for years in me lower back and down to my left buttock and at times to me knee but I’ve now got what I think is the same issue causing my numbness and tingling in my left ankle and foot!

Yes. Years a go I had it very bad to the point of acute pain for nearly two years. Horrendous time but thankfully very low issues with it now.
    It's the longest nerve in your body so the pain can erupt anywhere from lower back all the way down the leg and it terminates near the little toe. Hence people get pain anywhere along the line or nerve. The nerve usually gets pinched around the waist but people often get pain once it erupts anywhere along the nerve.
    I usually get "feel" a bout coming on and if I act quickly enough when I get the signal, I can avoid the pain thankfully. A decent physio should be able to help with precise exercises that can help, AS LONG AS YOU ARE SURE IT IS SCIATICA.
    bUt there are habits you can develop to help limit an event...

I think once you've had it, it sadly seems to keep returning at some point. Of course, it never comes on through trying to lift something heavy but rather stupid things when you just twist the wrong way. Apart from making it extremely difficult to get comfortable in bed at night it also ends up with me seeming to limp around so it looks like its my leg playing up rather than my back! Mine also used to seem to get worse November time when the weather started to get colder/damper.

The trick is to invest in a decent mattress and, most importantly, to try to keep mobile so it starts to free up. You may need to rest it for a brief time but lying in bed wont help and I found it only made matters worse. In fact, I found it better to lie on the floor than in bed with a small pillow or cushion under my back for support and knees raised to relieve the pressure. Best thing I did that helped was to start to do some gentle tai chi exercises which also seems to have helped prevent it re-occurring. Touch wood, haven't had a bad bout for a while now but I know it can be bloody painful.

Hey Mick you really are in the wars ain’t ya?

I used to have this for a few years and as mentioned above changed my mattress for a memory foam (no springs) which helped it never come back

I can’t find the exercises I was given when I went to Lilleshall to see a physio but this is pretty close give it a go I know you have a tennis ball kicking about and the lady in the vid seems quite watchable

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CisbhyLrKEA

Here’s hoping you doing end up with a groin strain 😂

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    Here’s hoping you doing end up with a groin strain 😂

Had an attack in my back and down to my buttocks a few years ago, extremely painful, but not as bad as gout in my left knee that I had a few years before, have since had a knee replacement so no more gout attacks, thank goodness

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

I've got exactly the same symptoms. Left arse cheek and up into my hip. Just had an MRI on lower back to see if its Sciatica. Got the appointment within 2 weeks which I thought was brilliant. Had the scan to be told results take up to 10 weeks to get to my doctors. The hospital is 4 miles away from my doctors and can be there at the touch of a button. Bloody ridiculous.

Nasty thing. It can last anything from a few hours to years!

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Nasty thing. It can last anything from a few hours to years!
    Ditto matrimony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)