+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Crooked House…..

Quote Originally Posted by BARBaggies82 View Post
    New owners are ATE Farms Ltd

Anyone know anything of them?

To add to the story there was supposed to be a band playing on the night of the fire. They were booked in before the pub closed so just seems like a terrible coincidence......the band name: Gasoline & Matches 😯
    The woman whose sole director of ATE Farms husband owns the plant hire company next to The Crooked House and who’s had problems with access to his site with the previous owners of the pub!

That’s a lot of money to pay for easier access!

Apparently the new owners hired a digger with a contract to demolish the pub days before the fire. Obviously had no intention of doing otherwise and probably something to do with access to their quarry business. If the Crooked House was not a listed building presumably -provided they notified the council of their intentions-such an action by the new owners, however reprehensible, was not technically illegal though? Something definitely suspect but the local council would appear to have hard questions asked of them too. Just hope the story doesn't go away and that somehow funds can be raised to enable it to be reconstructed using mostly original parts of the building.

This isn't just about the Crooked House, it is about the wider issue of seeking far better protection for buildings (or indeed football grounds) that can be proven to be of local historical/cultural importance from unscrupulous developers.

Demise of the Crooked House made the news here in California. I even got asked if I knew of The Black Country

Two arrested on suspicion of arson.........

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-66608279

Quote Originally Posted by yoonited View Post
    Two arrested on suspicion of arson.........

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-66608279
    Good luck getting a conviction when all and sundry have been trampling on the "crime scene" before the sniffer dog turned up.

This c??t owner has played a blinder and I this is public relations bull, as I don't know who it endangers as it a secluded building with no neighbours and the fire brigade were denied access.

Unless he makes a claim to his insurance he is OK.

I think the public pressure around this may be enough to get a conviction and also go someway towards establishing laws that may help prevent such actions happening to similarly culturally important buildings in the future.

As to whether the Crooked House itself can arise from its ashes to be rebuilt, whilst that would be the ultimate aim, I don't know if that will happen. The BCLM might seem an ideal new site for it but they have already said that this is not possible, although I assume that this is down to the huge costs of such a project. If the new owners are found guilty maybe they can be forced to pay for it to be re- rebuilt? I'd like to think so, but doubt it and sadly can't see any government grants or go-fund me donations raising anything like the money needed either.

This story has made headlines all around the world, the justified public outcry over how this happened should ensure justice is served on those responsible. As a deterrent to anyone else ever attempting to carry out similar behaviour in future then yes, order them to get the place rebuilt.

The council need to stall or block any planning application , on the tiniest detail.
    What I would like to see is a weight restriction on the access road and no council or goverment contracts for their landfill.
    Spot checks for health and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    The council need to stall or block any planning application , on the tiniest detail.
    What I would like to see is a weight restriction on the access road and no council or goverment contracts for their landfill.
    Spot checks for health and safety.
    HMRC to investigate all group companies.

I also believe Marstons have a moral obligation, here. They are not squeaky clean in this. It's a little like JP selling to Lai with no due diligence, for such an historic/iconic building

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)