+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Robbie Robertson

Robbie Robertson

See that yet another musical icon of the 60s has passed. Famed for being part of The Band whose 1968 album Music From the Big Pink became quite influential with its fusion of country, blues and rock and whose farewell Last Waltz concert was filmed by Scorsese, Robertson was only 80. Hadn't realised he had been ill for a while. I'm only in my early 60s but every time a musician or tv/ film star from my youth passes I feel just that little bit older. RIP Robbie.

I thought you meant “Bang Bang” B.A. Robertson there for a minute.

Loved his whacky stuff.

Loved his Somewhere Down the Crazy River.

RIP RR.

Also just read of the passing of Sixto Rodriguez at 81. Although a bit of a musical icon in South Africa (where he became popular amongst the younger white anti-apartheid movement) and Australia, he remained virtually unknown elsewhere until the Sugarman documentary film a few years ago re-discoveried him. He released 2 albums in the US but think that the record companies at the time thought his Dylan-esque style, even with its Mexican influences, was passe so didn't push him. It's an interesting documentary and personally I quite like a lot of his songs-including Sugarman.

Sad to hear about Sixto too.

Didn't know anything about him until we watched searching for sugarman at the cinema a few years back.

Unbeknownst to him he was massive in South Africa, whilst skint in the USA.

RIP SR.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    See that yet another musical icon of the 60s has passed. Famed for being part of The Band whose 1968 album Music From the Big Pink became quite influential with its fusion of country, blues and rock and whose farewell Last Waltz concert was filmed by Scorsese, Robertson was only 80. Hadn't realised he had been ill for a while. I'm only in my early 60s but every time a musician or tv/ film star from my youth passes I feel just that little bit older. RIP Robbie.
    I love the film The Waltz with Robbie and the band playing a farewell concert with loads of guests. Great stuff. RIP

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)