+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash Turnstile in Dens Park

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I assume from the other posts that you are union official and a postman.
    There is a big problem with the delivery of the Royal Mail on Islay which has been happening since May 2021 and despite reassurances from the Royal Mail bosses in Glasgow that it was a short term problem at the time, it is getting worse. Mail has not been getting delivered to the correct address with the new posties who do not receive sufficient adequate training operating a ‘pot luck’ delivery service.
    If they cannot find the correct house they fire the mail through the letter box of another house hoping that the home owner will do their job for them and deliver the mail to the correct address.
    Last June we returned after a holiday to discover eleven items of mail for a neighbour who lives two houses away from our house. Surely the postie should have realised that Royal mail with two different surnames living at different addresses should not be pushed through the letter box of one house.
    It is not ‘rocket science’ even on the island of Islay where things get slower the further west you go in Scotland.
    Every place in the country is struggling to get people to fill the posts of those that have left, folk in my office refuse full time contracts due to benefits they receive, in a lot of cases the jobs go to folk who wouldn’t get near to them years ago, it’s a poor service now due to this

I assume from the other posts that you are union official and a postman.
    There is a big problem with the delivery of the Royal Mail on Islay which has been happening since May 2021 and despite reassurances from the Royal Mail bosses in Glasgow that it was a short term problem at the time, it is getting worse. Mail has not been getting delivered to the correct address with the new posties who do not receive sufficient adequate training operating a ‘pot luck’ delivery service.
    If they cannot find the correct house they fire the mail through the letter box of another house hoping that the home owner will do their job for them and deliver the mail to the correct address.
    Last June we returned after a holiday to discover eleven items of mail for a neighbour who lives two houses away from our house. Surely the postie should have realised that Royal mail with two different surnames living at different addresses should not be pushed through the letter box of one house.
    It is not ‘rocket science’ even on the island of Islay where things get slower the further west you go in Scotland.
    My postie's great.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Every place in the country is struggling to get people to fill the posts of those that have left, folk in my office refuse full time contracts due to benefits they receive, in a lot of cases the jobs go to folk who wouldn’t get near to them years ago, it’s a poor service now due to this
    In the late 1990’s Gordon Brown as Chancellor of the Exchequer brought in the Working Tax Credits scheme which greatly increased benefits paid to some people. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33224896
    I think that they had to work a minimum of 16 hours per week to qualify.
    The problem with the posties on Islay is totally different.
    The Argyll and Bute Councillors keep giving planning permission to whisky companies to build new whisky distilleries on the island of Islay despite the lack of suitable infrastructure in place.
    There are now nine whisky distilleries working full time on the island with planning permission granted for another three new whisky distilleries.
    Local firms on Islay cannot get school leavers to become apprentices as they can earn a lot more money working in a whisky distillery on the island.
    The main roads on Islay are wrecked as a result of all the 44 ton HGV’s serving the whisky distilleries with the Argyll and Bute Councillors continually bleating about having no money to repair the roads but they have plenty of money to create well paid clerical jobs at their council HQ in Lochgilphead.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    My postie's great.
    The postie’s in the cities are usually good.
    We never had a problem with our postie on Islay who had been a postie for a long time and she knew all the routes.
    After she decidedly to leave things started to go downhill.
    The Royal Mail bosses in Glasgow decided to reduce the training period for a new postie being buddy trained by the existing postie from two weeks to three working days which was ridiculous especially with all the houses outwith the large villages on the island not having a street number, only a name for their house.
    A lot of houses on Islay only have a Gaelic name.
    About ten years ago I was walking our two dogs when a delivery van driver stopped and asked me where a house a Gaelic name was situated in our village.
    I told him that sadly I did not have a clue where the house was situated. I then asked the driver who the parcel was addressed to which he told me and I replied that it was the second house on the right.
    This is what the posties on Islay should be doing if they are unsure where to deliver the Royal Mail.
    Stop and ask a local person for help instead of putting the mail through any letterbox.
    My wife posted a birthday card from Islay to an address in the Dundee area and it took eight weeks to be delivered.
    No wonder people are stopping sending birthday cards and Christmas cards through the post when it is taking so long to be delivered or in the case of last Christmas not at all.
    We have heard from several people on Islay that they are no longer sending Christmas cards due to the greatly increased cost of postage stamps whilst getting a poorer service into the bargain.

I'd go very poor

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Nobody cares
    You obviously care enough to post though.

It is time that the Government of the day was tightening up the benefits system in this country and stopping the working tax credit scheme to encourage people to work full time contracts. I can see posties going the same way as staff working in bank branches. They will become a dying breed as people stop sending birthday cards and Christmas cards through the post.
    Emails have taken over from posting letters.
    In 2006 a postie on Islay told me that junk mail paid his wages. Now we get little junk mail as firms now bombard us with emails so we are now paying through the nose for first and second class stamps for a poor service.
    In addition to the birthday card my wife sent which took eight weeks to be delivered she sent another two birthday cards at the same time. They were posted a least a week before the date of the birthday each with a second class stamp and they arrived late.
    Goodness knows where the Royal Mail are getting their performance figures for the delivery of their mail on time. They must be using a desk top exercise or using selective counting.

It is time that the Government of the day was tightening up the benefits system in this country and stopping the working tax credit scheme to encourage people to work full time contracts. I can see posties going the same way as staff working in bank branches. They will become a dying breed as people stop sending birthday cards and Christmas cards through the post.
    Emails have taken over from posting letters.
    In 2006 a postie on Islay told me that junk mail paid his wages. Now we get little junk mail as firms now bombard us with emails so we are now paying through the nose for first and second class stamps for a poor service.
    In addition to the birthday card my wife sent which took eight weeks to be delivered she sent another two birthday cards at the same time. They were posted a least a week before the date of the birthday each with a second class stamp and they arrived late.
    Goodness knows where the Royal Mail are getting their performance figures for the delivery of their mail on time. They must be using a desk top exercise or using selective counting.
    Have a look at prices around Europe for letters you’ll be surprised at how cheap the uk is, letters are dying a painfully slow death, it’s packets/parcels that make the money

Have a look at prices around Europe for letters you’ll be surprised at how cheap the uk is, letters are dying a painfully slow death, it’s packets/parcels that make the money
    That is the other problem on Islay.
    Royal Mail have the contract for the delivery of the Amazon parcels on the island which means that the posties spend a lot of extra time on their round delivering Amazon parcels which have a deadline for delivery which is to the detriment of the delivery of letters assuming that the posties can find the correct address in the first place.
    The Islay residents go mad ordering goods online from Amazon and then moan about the late delivery of their mail.
    In my opinion the simple solution on Islay is to have a separate parcels delivery service by the Royal Mail with the letter delivery rounds being increased in size to take account of the reduction in the number of letters being delivered.
    However that is unlikely to happen as the Royal Mail bosses in Glasgow treat the island of Islay as a place which is out of sight, out of mind.
    The posties on Islay never go on strike but a couple of years ago they all arranged to phone in sick on a Saturday morning which meant that no mail was delivered on Islay that day.
    It was not much of a loss as at that time our mail was being delivered once a week due to a lack of staff.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    You obviously care enough to post though.
    As do you so maybe I'll rethink it.

Maybe not.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)