+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Parkinson

Michael Parkinson

Fingers crossed that there’s no emus in heaven fella

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    Fingers crossed that there’s no emus in heaven fella
    Just watched "Parkinson at 50" on BBC iPlayer.

He was a class act. The very best at his trade.

I heard Jamie Cullum being interviewed on BBC Radio 4 this morning. He said Parky (a big fan of jazz) was responsible for launching his career when he was invited on his show to perform back in 2003, when he was relatively unknown. He and Parky became good friends and Cullum said he'd often perform for Parky at private parties, including at Parky's sons pub which he said was "near where Parky lived". I'm assuming that this was in Bray, Berkshire where loads of millionaire celebrities live. However, he now owns the Kirkstyle Inn just ten miles from where I live, not been in yet but I and a few friends are intending to go for a meal there soon, the food is apparently superb.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...taurant-review
    Last edited by yoonited; 18-08-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yoonited View Post
    I heard Jamie Cullum being interviewed on BBC Radio 4 this morning. He said Parky (a big fan of jazz) was responsible for launching his career when he was invited on his show to perform back in 2003, when he was relatively unknown. He and Parky became good friends and Cullum said he'd often perform for Parky at private parties, including at Parky's sons pub which he said was "near where Parky lived". I'm assuming that this was in Bray, Berkshire where loads of millionaire celebrities live. However, he now owns the Kirkstyle Inn just ten miles from where I live, not been in yet but I and a few friends are intending to go for a meal there soon, the food is apparently superb.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...taurant-review
    Sounds good although menu seems a bit too gamey for me.

Bray to Slaggyford is an interesting move!

What is it with you and the pubs that are in the middle of nowhere and miles from anywhere yoonited?

That menu looks well poncy,”a whole carrot” ffs and have you seen the size of the portions,the “dark chocolate cremeux with cherries” is a p1ss take in giving customers as little as possible and calling it something expensive and hoping that they will be in to much awe to realise they they are being taken for mugs,”salt cod brandade piped into fingers” are just fish fingers yoonited,a overpriced Birds Eye 70’s council kids tea and who in the hell pays good money for Ox cheek,they probably got that out of the butchers bin that was heading to pig farm,fingers crossed that there’s a kebab shop on the way home for you

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post
    Sounds good although menu seems a bit too gamey !
    There’s not even any gravy to be seen and you call yourselves to be northerners?

https://theksi.co.uk/

There's plenty on that menu I'd go for, in fact there's nothing I wouldn't. I love game, I often cook it myself (pheasant, rabbit, boar, venison etc). Parky's son or not, he won't get away with providing poor value or service or he won't last, the local's will soon tell him if they think he's ripping them off, hence all his reviews so far are very good. I was in Lord David Steel's sons pub (ex LibDem leader) for lunch a couple of Sundays ago, The Cross Keys Inn at Ettrickbridge, up over the border, also very good. The reason I visit pubs in the middle of nowhere and miles from anywhere is because that's just where I live. A kebab on the way home? A ten mile detour if I wanted one of them so no, three courses should be sufficient, with plenty of beer/wine if I don't pull the short straw and end up driving.

I’ve been to the Kirkstile loads and it’s always been good scran and decent ale. It used to be Hunter Davies’ local and some great walks round and about.

Do you lot ever visit pubs that not got some kind of celebrity connection?
    There’s no way that the chocolate cherry pudding is worth £7,you are probably being fleeced because there ain’t a kebab shop anywhere near or thst we just move in different social circles and yoonited is far more posher than I give him credit for

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/king-keb...20meat&start=1

I can always make my own kebabs, anytime. I've got bags of this stuff in the freezer with loads of pitta breads, Greek flatbreads, naan breads, tortillas, hot chilli sauce in the cupboard, always got some spare salad in the fridge, no need to be paying £8 for a kebab when I can rustle a better one up myself for a quarter of that.

If you like cooking, I might even tell you where you can find the best curry sauces bar none. Forget Pataks, forget Sharwoods, forget the ones with the spices in the top of the jar you stir in, I discovered, by accident, a range of curry sauces that absolutely are the dog's danglies. And they're riduculously cheap for the quality they are, huge range of them (Vindaloo is decently hot, not like the supermarket ones), but there's only one store chain where you can find them.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)