+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Old Barnsley In Colour

Thank you Poggy.

Volume 16 , hot off the press .

https://youtu.be/AGEXNwwTSA8?si=5s8c2qcTk884puxq

Thank you Animal.

We used to laik art near those terraces, now demolished, at Gilroyd. Across from bottom of Kere Hill, near Rob Royd pit. Now the M1.

Eeee, brought back memories of childhood and good times laikin art from dawn to dusk with other Doduth urchins and ragamuffins ( a dirty, poorly dressed, disreputable child)

Thanks for that post animal you have again set my mind in overdrive.

Flooding back to some great memories at a time I was watching from my school desk the first TV areal (not ours) been mounted on a chimney stack on Ash Row, Hoyle Mill . It was the big X one and the H ones followed back then in the 1950s.

Barnsley canal.
    Our terraced house on Ash Row ran parallel with the canal with the three Barnsley Main muck stacks prominently standing in the back ground. A place where coal picking was a regular thing by the locals with no central heating or double glazing in those days.

I remember mi mam once chasing me along the canal bank I’d been a bad little sod that day and around 7 years old at the time she didn’t catch me though and gave up around the area of Woods Brothers. I could run like the clappers then but Ive no doubt she would well catch me today, bless her.

As kids we regularly walked along the canal passing Woods Glass Works then under the Pontefract Road Bridge and further on passing the canal lock then onto to the Honeywell with the Old Mill Gasometer standing in the background, passing The Keel Inn on the left ( now Asda )
    I don’t know if it’s sill there but further on to the Wilthorpe area we arrived at a footbridge known then by us as The Thirty Two Steps. We always counted those steps and every time we went and I don’t why because it always totalled Thirty Two, that’s kids for ya. Some very good blackberry picking there all and nice fresh without the plastic containers. We all certainly got plenty of exercise in those days.

The Hoyle Mill Aqueduct.
    When I was about four I think , I remember catching the Barnsley to Cudworth "Pull and Push" at the Old Court House Station. I was so young I can’t remember who I was with that day except one my then three brothers along with a few more grown ups.
    The one thing I can certainly remember was the fantastic views from the train crossing the Dearne Valley on the Viaduct as we called it. These pictures are so clear in my mind as though it were yesterday.

Something about old Court House Station which had character in abundance. Another memory I remember being stood on the platform one Saturday morning with my Dad waiting for some chickens to arrive from Skipton. They did arrive in two cardboard boxes with one dozen in each box.
    We got them back home and we had the little fluffy things running all over the place, mi mam wasn’t at all well pleased.

Hoyle Mill village was a thriving place back then having:
    A Primary School, Two Glassworks, Barnsley Main Colliery.
    Post Office, Bus Depot, Brewery,Two Pubs, Working Mans Club,
    Coop, News Agent, Green Grocer, 3 Corner Shops, 2 Fish Shops, and two Hairdressers.
    Oh and not forgetting a great Football Club all on the doorstep.

This is just a snippet of some childhood recollections in the days of the Village Bobby, Bobby Hodges I seem to recall. It was a waste of time running away from him, he knew all of our addresses along with our names.

You could well ask was life better back in the day, it really does make you wonder, what I will say is that it was a privileged experience through hard times and good.

Classic post Poggs. Wonderful stuff.

Tha nearly ed mi ruerrin with nostalgia.

Lovely post Poggy

Will the youth of today write like that in 60 years time about their youth?…I doubt it.
    They most definitely wont take the blame for being “a bad little sod”…..
    Great recollections .

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Will the youth of today write like that in 60 years time about their youth?…I doubt it.
    They most definitely wont take the blame for being “a bad little sod”…..
    Great recollections .
    I hope this does not fall into the category of "hi-jacking" the thread but a lot of kids don't go out and "play" nowadays. Recollecting what so and so "celebrity influencer" said on Twitter X about so and so's Tweet is unlikely to invoke the same memories as Poggy's post.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I hope this does not fall into the category of "hi-jacking" the thread but a lot of kids don't go out and "play" nowadays. Recollecting what so and so "celebrity influencer" said on Twitter X about so and so's Tweet is unlikely to invoke the same memories as Poggy's post.
    I think it should only be classed as “hi-jacking” if it involves the board. …. The humour on the board (sadly mostly gone) often came from slight deviations from topic….

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I think it should only be classed as “hi-jacking” if it involves the board. …. The humour on the board (sadly mostly gone) often came from slight deviations from topic….
    Unless, of course, the first post and the theme of the thread, is about the board.

I think Jules lamenting the decline of humorous threads and comments about "no board interventions" is indeed a hijacking of this Old Barnsley thread leading the discussion into areas it shouldn't go. (only joking Jules).

The now demolished group of Gilroyd terraces with a classic corner shop was the type of small community built as miner's homes next to Rob Royd pit that is now social history with many community values sadly gone. Nardays many residents on new estates dunt even know their neighbour's names.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast