+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Old Barnsley In Colour

“with many community values sadly gone”
    So true

Volume 17 now available to view .

https://youtu.be/-PdnHaLHSlU?si=gg1_dZF3gYlllmlD

Loved that 1900 Victorian scene of May Day Green Market with the women dressed in the clothes of the time.

Would make an excellent poster.

Great stuff in there.

Interesting to see Market Hill bart tarn hall being theear (never imagined it). I've always seen the tarn hall as an iconic building of Barnsley with its presence and height. We've probably all had some kind of a significant association with that building whether it be a wedding or a registry of a birth. Having it sandblasted in recent years has given it a much cleaner appearance and done it justice.

Volume 18 , Monk Bretton Castle ???

Niver knew that .

https://youtu.be/-J33dOOFp58?si=GVbkiDRFaotDNqll

Volume 20 too , the canal system fascinates me , shame it's long gone .

https://youtu.be/9iT4W40KodY?si=Z5YUieW5MLcECyne

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Superb aren't they. The old courthouse railway station was class. Its glass roof and elevated status was so appealing. Much more aesthetically pleasing than the midland one that's in use today. I wish they would've kept it and demolished the current one. Aye well.

The ariel shot of Hoylemill is marvellous. The Brewery, Barnsley main, Canal, Oaks Viaduct and rows of terracing still there today. It was a hive of activity back then

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Volume 20 too , the canal system fascinates me , shame it's long gone .

https://youtu.be/9iT4W40KodY?si=Z5YUieW5MLcECyne
    Yes I've always been interested in the findings from the past. As a kid laikin darn near the Dearn (Hoyle Mill) I always wondered what the Oaks Viaduct would've looked like as there was, and still is, only the stone pillar footings left after its demolition. Back then though in the late 80s, the stone piers weren't shrouded by trees and I could never picture an actual railway line in my head and where it went. These picture pieced it all together.

As for the Canal, wow. Stunning piece of architecture and engineering. Truly mind blowing how they built these things back then. What a shame it's gone although a bit remains down the hill behind Oakwell to the bottom of Harborough Hills. There's also evidence close by of the stonework of the canal and old tow path behind Oakwell, again shrouded by trees now unfortunately and most people oblivious to the fact that it existed.

Meks thi wonder why we destroy all that history. When tha looks at what they've done in Castlefield, Manchester, the once run down shyte hole that it was 30 years ago is now thriving thanks to a big clean up and restoration of the canal which is now a thriving and trendy place.

Tha looks at what's left of Hoyle Mill nar. They ent even gorra boozer ennymooar bar Jooa Johnsons snooker club. Crying shame how such a beautiful area has become barren and desolate when so much history surrounds it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast