+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread v Tranmere Rovers 26.08.23 [EFL L2]

I mean they nearly equalised with the final kicks of the game which would've been devastating and if they had the reason would've been obvious.

We put ourselves into a situation we didn't need to. 4 substitutes is more than enough if you don't pick up any injuries.

I suppose it gave us 15 minutes playing with 10 men which was infinitely better than how we played against Sutton.

Quote Originally Posted by ajojones View Post
    Crikey, win and we should have been thrashed as LW messed up. Not a happy clappy type and like the talking points but boy we have some miseries. I hope we have another 40 matches like yesterday.
    The performance for the most part was brilliant, and the reason we played like that is all credit to Luke Williams, but constructive criticism is still okay and I think the point being made about the over-indulgent substitutions is a fair one. The Head Coach himself is known for picking out points of criticism for his players even after his team has won handsomely, in order to constantly push for more improvement, indeed he joked about it in the dressing room after the win at Wembley. Yesterday was a case where Luke's team played brilliantly, but the Head Coach's interventions around the 70-minute mark made us more vulnerable to an unlikely comeback instead of making us more secure, so the questions being asked are valid. This does not mean anyone is denying Luke's excellence overall. What he's done with this football team is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Only if you’re chasing a game not protecting it.
    However well disciplined in team tactics, formations ,philosophy etc. your squad may be, switching five players is bound to have an effect on the team’s rhythm .

We have conceded in both of the last two games after this switch in tactics, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence .

Having said all of that the football is majestic, and I would put John Bostock under house arrest for the next three years , we can’t let him escape.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The performance for the most part was brilliant, and the reason we played like that is all credit to Luke Williams, but constructive criticism is still okay and I think the point being made about the over-indulgent substitutions is a fair one. The Head Coach himself is known for picking out points of criticism for his players even after his team has won handsomely, in order to constantly push for more improvement, indeed he joked about it in the dressing room after the win at Wembley. Yesterday was a case where Luke's team played brilliantly, but the Head Coach's interventions around the 70-minute mark made us more vulnerable to an unlikely comeback instead of making us more secure, so the questions being asked are valid. This does not mean anyone is denying Luke's excellence overall. What he's done with this football team is phenomenal.
    Excellent riposte to the morality police.

I'm sure LW will reflect on whether it was the right thing to do to use all his subs so early.
    However, the decision to use a his subs was made with the score at 1-0.
    They were all stripped and ready before Rawlinson scored the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    I'm sure LW will reflect on whether it was the right thing to do to use all his subs so early.
    However, the decision to use a his subs was made with the score at 1-0.
    They were all stripped and ready before Rawlinson scored the 2nd.
    Correct for the first 2. 3, 4 and 5 were made after the second goal.

Using all 5 substitutes in a game that you are winning is excellent man management from LW. Last week at Doncaster for example all 16 players must have been buzzing at the end, not just 11 or 12 with the rest wondering if/when they would get a chance. Ok, it comes back to bite you in the bum sometimes, but all in all great man management.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    Using all 5 substitutes in a game that you are winning is excellent man management from LW. Last week at Doncaster for example all 16 players must have been buzzing at the end, not just 11 or 12 with the rest wondering if/when they would get a chance. Ok, it comes back to bite you in the bum sometimes, but all in all great man management.
    We’re still relatively new to the “five subs” rule and will have to find the best solution that marries keeping the squad happy and maintaining our dominance of games. The way we’re adapting so quickly to everything else makes me confident this will happen soon.

Out of interest, what would have happened if Stone had got injured in the 80th minute yesterday? Would we have had to go down to 10 men and put an outfield player in goal? Fielding the fifth sub just seems an unnecessary risk when you’re comfortably on top.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    We’re still relatively new to the “five subs” rule and will have to find the best solution that marries keeping the squad happy and maintaining our dominance of games. The way we’re adapting so quickly to everything else makes me confident this will happen soon.

Out of interest, what would have happened if Stone had got injured in the 80th minute yesterday? Would we have had to go down to 10 men and put an outfield player in goal? Fielding the fifth sub just seems an unnecessary risk when you’re comfortably on top.
    Yes, and we would have ended the game with 9 men.

This is the debate for me. Man management versus game management.

Man management wise 10/10 for keeping players keen, involved etc.

Game management, no plan for the injury that may have happened and as we saw did, or a possible sending off that can happen.

Yes, keep everyone happy, good team spirit etc, and LW is brave and takes risks, I think he got this one wrong. (Yes I know we won)

All that matter is that we won, and another 3 points in the bag. I'm sure LW will be prompted not to repeat those mass substitutions again..

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast