+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Blinding Lights by The Weeknd?

Blinding Lights by The Weeknd?

What a great song, I’d never really listened to it before.

A real 80’s vibe to it and I’ve been trying to work out which 80’s was ripped off in the making of this!? 😏🤣

The synth sound is for me, very similar to Take On Me by A-ha I think?

Both class songs though.

Then as I was looking for links to each song I found this! 😮

https://youtu.be/BuiY57hicks?si=Eet3treZqspLLStW

Quite a bit of this going on, especially over recent years (e.g. Portugal the man's "feel it still" take on "Mr Postman"). The Weekend is clearly talented but just hope he acknowledged the original source in this case and paid the appropriate royalties.

As the "Axis of Awesome" video shows, so many songs use the same chord progressions (there are, after all, only so many notes and workable permutations) and only change the key, beat or tempo but lifting melody lines as well can get you into copyright issues. I think that many more recent writers also deliberately channel recognizable pieces from old hits in order to help give their own songs more traction. Just wait until AI software gets better...

Only just discovered it Mick - where ya bin mate? . Great track!

Omeg - I've just bought a Squire Strat and my barre chords are coming on, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Only just discovered it Mick - where ya bin mate? . Great track!

Omeg - I've just bought a Squire Strat and my barre chords are coming on, love it.
    Good to hear WCV! Learning Barre chords certainly begins to open up the fretboard for you and gives you much greater voicing options and, of course, you only have to learn relatively few chord shapes as they are moveable.

I mostly play a Fender strat myself, it's an early CBS one which aren't generally favoured but it's great to play even if quite heavy. Glad you are enjoying it and you should check out some of the links Soulman has posted, particularly if you like soul/blues.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)