+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Bolton v Derby

Matchday Thread: Bolton v Derby

Seems we are better away than at home so high hopes for this one eh?

Me? a win for Derby, more goals for Waghorn

1-1, a Tiresian goal

0-0 might just have to grind a result out

A hard fought 2-2.

1-3

With two of our starting back 3 out with injury I think our makeshift defence will struggle against your strong attack and it wouldn't surprise me if our midfield laboured against your press either - they can play but struggle under constant pressure as Wigan demonstrated. As a Wanderers fan I'm not expecting much from today - we can't compete with you financially so we'll be putting out a lot of players with "potential" against your experienced Championship-quality team and we come into this more in hope than expectation.
    That said, some of our fans are a bit deluded having been taken in by the pre-season media hype and will be calling for the manager's head if we lose.
    How quickly they forget that it wasn't so long ago that we were hours away from oblivion and that building back whilst living within our means is a long, slow and steady process for any club that isn't a gazillionaire's plaything - and we certainly aren't. These days we're a community club that is focused on being a financially stable business with a good infrastructure first and foremost, trying to play attractive football with players drawn from non-league, lower leagues, the development squad and some modest transfers. We'd agreed a deal with Brizzle for Wilson for example, but couldn't/wouldn't meet his wage and personal terms demands so you guys snapped him up. Lost a couple of other transfer targets by sticking to our wage cap but reality is that if we can't afford them, we aren't going to overstretch to get them.

Manager wants us to play like Barca/City - but that's a huge ask of League 1 standard players and whilst it occasionally comes off, better teams - and especially athletic/physical teams with a high press - are quite capable of putting us to the sword, so today will be a massive test of character for us.
    Personally I expect you to win but TBH the score could be anything.
    Last edited by wanderlust; 02-09-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    How quickly they forget that it wasn't so long ago that we were hours away from oblivion and that building back whilst living within our means is a long, slow and steady process for any club that isn't a gazillionaire's plaything - and we certainly aren't.
    Could just as well have been written about Derby, wanderlust.
    We seem to have been on very similar journeys. Two great football towns, huge tradition, excellent stadiums, great support, both in the relatively early stages of return from near ‘oblivion’.
    Hope you get back where you belong, just not at our expense today.

Wanderlust "we can't compete with you financially so we'll be putting out a lot of players..."

I think you've been in a coma for the last 3 years Wanderer...did you miss us going into administration and being under EFL spending restrictions since?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Wanderlust "we can't compete with you financially so we'll be putting out a lot of players..."

I think you've been in a coma for the last 3 years Wanderer...did you miss us going into administration and being under EFL spending restrictions since?
    Agree, Bolton are further along in their recovery, i'd expect them to have more financial clout than us who are still being held back by the EFL witch hunt, sorry damn auto correct, meant restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Could just as well have been written about Derby, wanderlust.
    We seem to have been on very similar journeys. Two great football towns, huge tradition, excellent stadiums, great support, both in the relatively early stages of return from near ‘oblivion’.
    Hope you get back where you belong, just not at our expense today.
    Two further comparisons. Both wear very similar kits...indeed, in our greatest days, virtually identical...and both have stupidly named stadiums...although Bolton clearly win on that count. 2-2.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-09-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)