+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we stay up?

The team we had last season would stay up without any bother. This team won't. What on earth has VK done?

I don't buy this argument that the new team is inferior. Let's come back to this after 10 games.

Quote Originally Posted by chastenor View Post
    The team we had last season would stay up without any bother. This team won't. What on earth has VK done?
    The problem VK has is that six of last season's promotion winning squad were loanees and he has not really replaced them with better quality or in Maatsen's case not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The problem VK has is that six of last season's promotion winning squad were loanees and he has not really replaced them with better quality or in Maatsen's case not at all.
    BT, now we are really touching the big issue with the transfer window. Only 1 of 5 loan players committed to us and that was literally our first signing of the window! More than Maatsen, I think Tella and his pace and directness are going to be a massive miss for us. Could we also not have got another season loan for THB than signing one of the other numerous CB we now have?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    It is far too early to tell. VK does need to come up with some changes. I think one season we went 10 matches without a win and still stayed up?

My only comment to sinkov’s post is that I hope that the «*old faces*» will not be overlooked. Brownhill was one of our best players against Spurs. Corke was better than Berge, who was anonymous along with Cullen. JBG was ineffective but I don’t think he makes much difference.

My biggest question mark is why VK thinks Roberts is better at LB than Taylor. We need some experienced men at the back. Taylor is proven at this level, can get forward and can deliver a ball. Apart from that he is a brave defender who takes no sh*t.
    Indeed when Gareth Southgate started playing Trippier at left back we said this was idiotic and in that case Gareth was still able to select an established right back. For Spurs VK moved his best right back Roberts and played him on the left but did not have a right back to call on to fill the space vacated by Roberts. At one stroke the defensive problems at full back were made worse on both wings! We need to sort out the defensive line up certainly and find the right midfield blend. Cullen and Brownhill should both start imo with Berge on the bench.

It is too early to call our season after three games which have exposed our limitations at trying to play attacking possession football against teams who are far better organised and with far better players than we met in the Championship. I certainly do not want to revert to the Dyche era. We will know after about 10 games how we are likely to fare this season. There is no point now bemoaning the fact that we do not have THB, Maatsen or Tella. We have what we have and I do not think it is beyond the realms of possibility that we can fashion an effective team out of the players we actually do have.

Well said Sir Outwood.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Good point BT. We are NOT the same team and are involved at a significantly higher level. Too early to tell as Sinkov says but VK's selections are puzzling.

VK's signing of Foster is proving to be a good thing, but it took him a year before he got up to speed. We can't afford to wait a year for the new players to click into place

This was posted on Facebook, we look all out of kilter to me...

Attachment 24872

It is missing Tresor, Massengo and Odobert but still only one left back and VK has no interest in playing him.
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 12-09-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Monday will tell us a lot about where this team is heading.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)