+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Unlucky Buxton FC

O/T Unlucky Buxton FC

Since moving to Buxton a few years ago I try to jeep my eye on there results.
    Yesterday they were playing a league away at S cu n thorpe, which seems fairly astonishing in itself.
    I was at work , glancing at updates and saw they had a HT lead at the league leaders.

When I checked later to look at the final score

I watched it change from a 2-1 "win" to abandoned.
    Turns out Scunny equalised on 81 minutes with Buxton retaking the lead a couple of minutes later.

Apparently there was a torrential downpour which waterlogged the pitch, not sure at what stage it started, but Scunny missed a penalty
    "Because the lad couldn't see the ball " on around 90 minute mark with 10 left to play.
    About half way through the added time the ref blew up and both teams thought he'd just finished the game early, only to find out he'd actually abandoned the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66765341

The result has to stand surely. It would be ridiculous to make them play that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    The result has to stand surely. It would be ridiculous to make them play that again.
    You'd think so wouldn't you.

Although Cardiff would probably put on an official complaint if it did 😆

Decision made today. Match to be replayed in full.

Quote Originally Posted by crookadile View Post
    It's unlucky on Buxton but they really had no choice but to make that decision given the current laws of the game. You can't make a different decision for a game abandoned for the reasons of weather after 15, 45 (like ours against Cardiff), 90+5...whatever without changing the laws. Plenty of goals could have been scored in those last 5 minutes as we ourselves have found out to our detriment on too many occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by crookadile View Post
    The game was already into injury time and literally just a few minutes left. I just can't get my head around not seeing the game out. Rules are rules but this just doesn't sit right at all.

I hope Buxton are able to appeal this nonsense.

Diabolical decision

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
    The game was already into injury time and literally just a few minutes left. I just can't get my head around not seeing the game out. Rules are rules but this just doesn't sit right at all.

I hope Buxton are able to appeal this nonsense.
    In the last day of full fixtures (2/9) there were 44 games played in PL/EFL. 12 of them had goals scored in 90+ minutes and 3 saw players sent off in 90+ minutes. The decision to abandon the game might be questioned but not the decision to play it again in full.

What idiot came up with that joke decision? Was it a Cardiff fan?

Are they going to rescind the players red card ?

I’d definitely be looking into this if I was Buxton

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    What idiot came up with that joke decision? Was it a Cardiff fan?

Are they going to rescind the players red card ?

I’d definitely be looking into this if I was Buxton
    I've just been reading a follow up article to this and it appears the red card stands, which seems very harsh, as disciplinary issues aside, everything else from the game seems to have been scratched.

I did see a statement from the league stating the game would be rescheduled in full, but no mention of the red card in that.

Also, mentioned in the bbc article, quite a portion of the added time came from a stoppage when some Scunny fans were throwing items at the Buxton keeper.

One of those, where the rules seems to have been followed but leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.

Scunny have definitely dodged bullet if they go on and get anything out of the rescheduled game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66778293