+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9/11 - Where where you?

9/11 - Where where you?

It’s hard to believe 22 years have passed since this event.

I was unloading a couple of containers of rackets I’d had delivered from China in a temporary warehouse in Garretts Green, Birmingham.

As I got into my car to come home late afternoon Radio 5Live announced a small private plane had hit the World Trade Centre North building.

An hour later I arrived home to see the tue horror and for the next few days I was just fixated on the TV, the event seemed to consume me for a while.

Even now, it still fascinates me in a macabre way.

The single most vivid event of my conscious lifetime.

I was in my office in Northampton when my wife called me to say a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre, then while she was still telling me, she said that another plane had crashed into the other tower. Within a few minutes all worked stopped in the building as everyone was on the internet watching the disaster unfold. Absolutely shocking, still. Human beings, horrible species (well, a significant number, anyway).

I was in our press office in Camden London watching every minute and taking calls from our overseas managers.

One of the best visits in New York is to see the memorial.

It’s my 22nd wedding anniversary today! To top that off we got married in the states and had quite a large family contingent with us..
    The day itself was surreal as no one really knew what had happened until later in the day, so our wedding went on as planned, then the world stopped..
    The upside is that I can never forget our anniversary

It was my day off, watched every minute .
    For me it brought back memories of the day after the B'ham Pub bombings, I was working in town everyone seemed in a daze and very nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I was in our press office in Camden London watching every minute and taking calls from our overseas managers.

One of the best visits in New York is to see the memorial.
    Yes it is.

The only regret for me is that the new Freedom Tower wasn’t quite ready to accept visitors when we went there 8 years ago.

A fantastic city though, I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Yes it is.

The only regret for me is that the new Freedom Tower wasn’t quite ready to accept visitors when we went there 8 years ago.

A fantastic city though, I loved it.

Love New York - a real lovely city! So much to see then Broadway.

I was on my way to Heathrow Airport to fly back to Australia on that day,My flight was the last to leave london

I was in the air waiting to get into Athens Airport. The pilot came on the intercom to say "there seems to be some sort of issue as I've just been told to fly around the islands and I've replied that I don't have enough fuel!" We eventually landed and security then pulled everyone out of the queue who didn't look Caucasian! We left the airport, oblivious to what was going on and caught the metro. It was only when we got to our hotel (none of the staff spoke English) and I rang my daughter who told us that 2 planes had flown into the Twin Towers (I thought she meant Wembley!). We then turned on the tv and realised what was going on!

Quote Originally Posted by Epsombaggie View Post
    I was in the air waiting to get into Athens Airport. The pilot came on the intercom to say "there seems to be some sort of issue as I've just been told to fly around the islands and I've replied that I don't have enough fuel!" We eventually landed and security then pulled everyone out of the queue who didn't look Caucasian! We left the airport, oblivious to what was going on and caught the metro. It was only when we got to our hotel (none of the staff spoke English) and I rang my daughter who told us that 2 planes had flown into the Twin Towers (I thought she meant Wembley!). We then turned on the tv and realised what was going on!
    I shouldn’t laugh Leicester but I had to contain myself when you said you thought it was the Twin Towers at Wembley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)