+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colin Murphy

Colin Murphy

It’s being reported by BBC Radio Lincolnshire sport that the ex Notts County manager Colin Murphy has passed away.

Most notably known for his managerial exploits at Lincoln City he along with Steve Thompson led us to the playoff final against Bradford in 1996 in which we lost 2-0 in what is now called League One. A position we have not reached since.

RIP.

Did not like him as a manager for us but still sad as he did what he could for us. RIP Colin.

Best programme notes writer of all times RIP

RIP Colin

It was only a week or so ago I said on here that I'd be willing to re-appraise Murphy and Thompson's tenure at the club and that the relegation after the play off final was partially the fans fault for insisting on a change of playing style.

Only those old enough to remember the 1960s had anything lower-league levels of bad to compare Murphy/Thompson to at the time. Results had been perfectly acceptable up to that point but after two relegations in the preceding four seasons, momentum had gone into reverse and there was a sense of being back to where we started, only now with an empty soulless stadium - money spent on which could have secured Premier League football instead, or at least consolidated tier 2. None of that being Murphy's fault and perhaps we could now say he was on a hiding to nothing in those circumstances and overachieved, considering what was to follow. His first full season remains our best finish in the pyramid since dropping out of tier 2.

Older fans will also remember Colin Murphy as being a coach under Sirrel in the late 70s before Howard Wilkinson came in.

RIP

RIP, always sad to hear of someone's passing and thoughts with his loved ones.

Sadly my memories of him are vague and not too happy, I remember the Bradford game at Wembley and then the next season but sure many others can remember the Sirrel years which would have been happier

“I realise that not many possess the wisdom of the Mandala, but at times persiflage is not comprehensible. However, don’t worry, we shall defeat the diphthongs.”

RIP Colin

Quote Originally Posted by TedBovisPie View Post
    “I realise that not many possess the wisdom of the Mandala, but at times persiflage is not comprehensible. However, don’t worry, we shall defeat the diphthongs.”

RIP Colin
    Eh? T'was not Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Eh? T'was not Colin.
    https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/s...y-imps-3977625

R.I.P Colin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast