+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Style not formation

Gru you make some good points, but then make yourself look foolish, listen to what you have just said, when a opposition forward closes us down just get rid, that is what school kids are taught. Playing out requires players to find space, create triangles and pass quickly 10 yards, if you genuinely believe that our players are incapable of playing that level of football, you should be asking serious questions about our recruitment and coaching. I think we do have the players to be able to mix it up and learn to build from the back as well as play a longer ball when required, but for some reason our management don't and that for me is a bigger concern.

Interestingly we had 54% possession yesterday but only managed 7 shots at goal with 3 on target.
    Possession isn't everything but I do agree that we give the ball away too easily and rarely attempt to play through the thirds.
    I don't want to see us attempting to knock the ball around at the back because I think we'd get picked off but I would like to see us play more through midfield because we have the individuals who can do that as we saw against Norwich.

Rapidly losing patience with Hugill . All he does is fight defenders most of the time fouling them the waves his hands about no end product whatsoever. Having said that when a ball is pinged in 20 foot above his head he hasn't much chance of doing anything. I would go back to a 2 up front if a ball is pinged long the wide men usually are wide so any Hugill flick ons are into no man's land ive him a man to play alongside him we actually looked a bit better when Eaves and Nombe played together .Problem is we have a stacked CM Rathbone,Christ,Cafu and now Clucas add to that Odoffin .If he plays 442 let's say he can pick 4 cm each game and rotate them 2 playing 2 bench 2 up top 2 wingers Green and Freddy 4 at the back room to rotate he can also change to a 3 cm if we are defending a lead late on .

Substitutions puzzled me Saturday,2nil down & leaves a goal scorer Kelly on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerMillersSwinton View Post
    Rapidly losing patience with Hugill . All he does is fight defenders most of the time fouling them the waves his hands about no end product whatsoever. Having said that when a ball is pinged in 20 foot above his head he hasn't much chance of doing anything. I would go back to a 2 up front if a ball is pinged long the wide men usually are wide so any Hugill flick ons are into no man's land ive him a man to play alongside him we actually looked a bit better when Eaves and Nombe played together .Problem is we have a stacked CM Rathbone,Christ,Cafu and now Clucas add to that Odoffin .If he plays 442 let's say he can pick 4 cm each game and rotate them 2 playing 2 bench 2 up top 2 wingers Green and Freddy 4 at the back room to rotate he can also change to a 3 cm if we are defending a lead late on .
    Why not play a 4-3-1-2 pushing a midfielder up.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    Gru you make some good points, but then make yourself look foolish, listen to what you have just said, when a opposition forward closes us down just get rid, that is what school kids are taught. Playing out requires players to find space, create triangles and pass quickly 10 yards, if you genuinely believe that our players are incapable of playing that level of football, you should be asking serious questions about our recruitment and coaching. I think we do have the players to be able to mix it up and learn to build from the back as well as play a longer ball when required, but for some reason our management don't and that for me is a bigger concern.

You see some of the better championship sides building up slowly from the back our forwards chasing shadows. We aren't short of ability but even under the slightest pressure it's a risk I wouldn't want to take get the ball out wide were the risk is reduced build from there. There's nothing worse for confidence than giving a goal away losing ball near your own area.

Gru ok decent point, our better players are in the middle so we should play through them and let the wide players push onto the opposition full backs

Quote Originally Posted by PokerMillersSwinton View Post
    It worries me that Hugill only seems to play well against ex clubs. Is he not very motivated then most of the rest of the time? Also agree we need to play 2 together closer up front. Plainly Green, Fred, Nombe, Georgie have eyes for a goal. let em play off Hugill. Their are a lot of combinations which could be used to find the pedrfect pairing for us. We dont need these players out on the wings we have attacking full backs who can do that or Clucas now.

Assuming we cant have 3 cbs which is admittedly difficult when a lot of em are knacked why not play this at miwwaw.

Viktor
    Lembikisa , Humphries, Blackett, Revan

jesus sitting deep

Ollie, oddofin, clucas

fred, Green or virtually any other forward 2 combination i have mentioned.

Perhaps all Hugill needs is a kick up the arse. If his knee is knacked he needs a rest anyway.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 17-09-2023 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    It worries me that Hugill only seems to play well against ex clubs. Is he not very motivated then most of the rest of the time? Also agree we need to play 2 together closer up front. Plainly Green, Fred, Nombe, Georgie have eyes for a goal. let em play off Hugill. Their are a lot of combinations which could be used to find the pedrfect pairing for us. We dont need these players out on the wings we have attacking full backs who can do that or Clucas now.

Assuming we cant have 3 cbs which is admittedly difficult when a lot of em are knacked why not play this at miwwaw.

Viktor
    Lembikisa , Humphries, Blackett, Revan

jesus sitting deep

Ollie, oddofin, clucas

fred, Green or virtually any other forward 2 combination i have mentioned.

Perhaps all Hugill needs is a kick up the arse. If his knee is knacked he needs a rest anyway.

Odoffin seems to be spent just after half time. Can he play at centre back?

Victor

Dext Humphreys Blackett Seb

Fred Ollie Tiehi Green

Clucas

Nombe

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    It worries me that Hugill only seems to play well against ex clubs. .
    Preston due soon
    Think that’s where he first got noticed and subsequently got a big move to whu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast