+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Style not formation

Style not formation

On the post match thread and on other threads people raise the formation question, also that Hugil is isolated and we should play 2 up front. I don't think the formaton is the issue, we are 4-3-3 when attacking, with wide forwards and they can drop when we don't have the ball. This is a common way to set-up, however the huge difference is the way we play. Hugil looks isolated because all we ever do is long ball from the keeper, we have the best ball playing defenders we have had in a while an international goalkeeper, why can't we play the ball out from the back and through midfield out to the wide forwards. This is how teams with wide forwards do it, Liverpool, arsenal in the premier league are examples but there are others in the championship. We have the players yet the Viking pushes the defenders away and off the ball goes into the strasophere, it doesn't work. Hugil doesnt win enough of the ball and when he does win the header it goes to a defender, we saw this time and time again at Huddersfield and in other games. We seem to think that having the ball isn't a good thing and prefer to let the opposition have the ball and then if we press intercept and counter attack. The players we have and the style of play is down to the manager and coaching staff, so long ball from the keeper is an instruction and it is failing.

Genuine question how long do you think the fans will tolerate what happens to Southampton with trying to play the ball out from the back?
    I’m not saying you are wrong about the possession but if we try it and we keep losing it or getting picked off patience won’t last long.
    Can’t make my mind up about Hugill I feel sorry for him isolated but he also spends too much time wrestling the defenders.
    On to Millwall 👍🏻

Because when Viktor gets the ball it's like we have a collective sigh of relief that their attack is over. Our first instinct is to then hold and protect for a few seconds, they can't hurt us, phew, whereas it should be how we can hurt them with quick balls out. A mindset shift is needed. I agree. Does my head in.

You can’t set up every game the same
    Three across front is a good formation you’d think but still we seem to isolate Hugill, what the hell is he suppose to do? Had a knee injury since start of season too but yes he does tend to piss me off at times with his obsession with trying to take defenders out, just calm down

Sometimes you have to just blame the players.

Southampton (manger) are obsessed with a pointless possession stat

No 3 times no we can't play out from the back when there's a chance we * it up give a reasonable chance to.the opposition not our game.

Why can’t we mix both styles there’s no excuse for Hugill to be isolated Fred and Green need to be closer to him, Odoffin is the only player who anticipates the flick ones thought he had a good game yesterday until MT took him off!! Can only think was because first game back

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    No 3 times no we can't play out from the back when there's a chance we * it up give a reasonable chance to.the opposition not our game.
    so your argument is our players arent good enough Gru? Long ball is failing, the results show that. We have just spent more money on players than we have ever spent and we don't have any that can play football, you are wrong both Humpreys and Blackett are excellent footballers, look at Blackett yesterday he made two runs with the ball into the opposition half. Dexter is a premier league player and international, Viking is an international (they have to be able to pass the ball) Bramall is better with the bal than without it. Regards the southampton question, a very good question. My answer is the manager is vastly overrated, he talks a good game but his teams do not deliver, I am not asking us to be obsessed with it but we can vary our approach and mix it up a bit. At the moment all I am hearing is Southampton are having issues and our players can't play football, not a great set of arguments guys. Good responses and challenges though, at last a debate on here, which is what we want. UTM

On the post match thread I mentioned partnerships.Fern - Moore,Seasman - Towner, Gwyther - Finney.All those played off each other they knew each other’s game.Saturday at times we looked like 11 strangers nobody wanting to take responsibility.Play our own game not how the other team want us to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    so your argument is our players arent good enough Gru? Long ball is failing, the results show that. We have just spent more money on players than we have ever spent and we don't have any that can play football, you are wrong both Humpreys and Blackett are excellent footballers, look at Blackett yesterday he made two runs with the ball into the opposition half. Dexter is a premier league player and international, Viking is an international (they have to be able to pass the ball) Bramall is better with the bal than without it. Regards the southampton question, a very good question. My answer is the manager is vastly overrated, he talks a good game but his teams do not deliver, I am not asking us to be obsessed with it but we can vary our approach and mix it up a bit. At the moment all I am hearing is Southampton are having issues and our players can't play football, not a great set of arguments guys. Good responses and challenges though, at last a debate on here, which is what we want. UTM

We aren't Liverpool Arsenal not under much pressure yes progress from the back but if we've got opposition forwards there get rid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    On the post match thread I mentioned partnerships.Fern - Moore,Seasman - Towner, Gwyther - Finney.All those played off each other they knew each other’s game.Saturday at times we looked like 11 strangers nobody wanting to take responsibility.Play our own game not how the other team want us to play.
    A very good point, that midfield needs to blend and I think we have real quality in that area, the two CBs seem to be forming a partnership, it is down the sides and the front that seem to be lacking.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast