+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing Paul Warne?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Missing Paul Warne?

It would be interesting to hear what supporters thoughts are, a year on from his departure. If he was available again would Rotherham fans be wishing for his return?

At Derby there's a lot of unrest right now with him, the limited style of play, the unwillingness to change the system in a game and always bypassing midfield. It's wing-backs or else, it's never more than 2-3 passes and recovering from a goal down is usually unlikely. A lot of potential signings seem to disappear, and the standard of loans means a trip to Wikipedia to find out who they are, giving the impression playing for a Warne side is not much fun. Derby have got some easy games on paper before the next international break, so I think he is safe, but come Christmas it may well change. And Liam Rosenior, dumped to make way, he's working wonders at Hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbags View Post
    It would be interesting to hear what supporters thoughts are, a year on from his departure. If he was available again would Rotherham fans be wishing for his return?

At Derby there's a lot of unrest right now with him, the limited style of play, the unwillingness to change the system in a game and always bypassing midfield. It's wing-backs or else, it's never more than 2-3 passes and recovering from a goal down is usually unlikely. A lot of potential signings seem to disappear, and the standard of loans means a trip to Wikipedia to find out who they are, giving the impression playing for a Warne side is not much fun. Derby have got some easy games on paper before the next international break, so I think he is safe, but come Christmas it may well change. And Liam Rosenior, dumped to make way, he's working wonders at Hull.
    Are you a derby fan?

These are all warney traits you talk about

I laughed out loud when I read this thread. It was just like millers fans posting a couple of years back

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/41959-can-...ince-arriving/

Still, if he gets the boot he will have made his money out of footy.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 18-09-2023 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Are you a derby fan?

These are all warney traits you talk about

I laughed out loud when I read this thread. It was just like millers fans posting a couple of years back

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/41959-can-...ince-arriving/

Still, if he gets the boot he will have made his money out of footy.
    Yes, and have never been a Warney fan. I never enjoyed playing Rotherham because of the way the game would be played I saw Rotherham last season and thought it was a vast improvement for your fans. 'Most players have beards' appears to be the best that Derby fans can come up with what improvements have there been since he arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbags View Post
    Yes, and have never been a Warney fan. I never enjoyed playing Rotherham because of the way the game would be played I saw Rotherham last season and thought it was a vast improvement for your fans. 'Most players have beards' appears to be the best that Derby fans can come up with what improvements have there been since he arrived.
    I'm sure you'll know he got us promoted 3 times, but he never did it the easy way. You might even say he got lucky. The first time we did it was via the play-offs. The second time we did it was on points per game (due to covid ending the season early and it was becoming a real dog-fight at the top end of the table) and then the third time we went up in 2nd place after nearly throwing away a 10 point lead, only securing promotion on the final day. So don't expect a straightforward promotion!

Would I have him back here? Probably. He's given Millers' fans some incredible memories and we know he's a relatively safe pair of hands. One thing I don't miss is his style of football.

I've watched Derby quite a few times this season (used to live there). I went on Saturday v Portsmouth because I couldn't get a ticket for our game at Huddersfield. It was so poor wasn't it. Rotherham had so many performances like that. In fact, had Derby played in red and white, I would have thought I was watching Rotherham 2 years ago. We'd often play terrible but snatch a win like you guys nearly did. Don't get me wrong, we also put in some fantastic performances as well. We absolutely smashed some teams on our way to promotion.

He'll get you promoted given time but buckle up for some hit and miss performances.

I like Warne but he made his choice and he and us should and will move on.
    He got a 5 year contract and if he is sacked and paid up he should take some time to spend with his family.
    I think his wit and affable nature would suit punditry and would be far less stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosphan View Post
    I went on Saturday v Portsmouth because I couldn't get a ticket for our game at Huddersfield. It was so poor wasn't it.
    Did you see the pompey goal scorers celebration?
    Apparently Colby Bishop is a Forest fan and did the Robin Hood archer action

I believe Forest fans refer to Derby as Attendance FC probably due to a belief that success is entirely dependent upon turnstile clicks
    We have a club near us who are from that school of thought

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Did you see the pompey goal scorers celebration?
    Apparently Colby Bishop is a Forest fan and did the Robin Hood archer action

I believe Forest fans refer to Derby as Attendance FC probably due to a belief that success is entirely dependent upon turnstile clicks
    We have a club near us who are from that school of thought
    I must admit I didn't notice the celebration.

To be fair to Derby 27,000 there on Saturday so a really good attendance. Unfortunately I think most went home disappointed.

Don't get me wrong he did a good job at Rotherham in league 1 but they were his team he built from scratch. He kept all the good eggs and removed the bad eggs. Fortunately for us the bad eggs werent much cop but Derby prob have some bad eggs who are actually good players. How would he deal with them? Would they buy into his coaching? Would the fans? The emphasis on running is not gonna go down well with players if they are used to a passing game.Ours never were.

He may take you up but the pressures are much greater on him at Derby and fans a lot less forgiving.

Would i have him back? Yes if we really dropped down the leagues and we needed to start all over again.

I am hoping that MT may be the next stage manager we need to keep us on the up. He seems to be able to recruit players of decent quality that PW never could. He is not a "it has to be a good guy character" recruiter. He has at last started to get us to pass the ball a bit as well. He can be naive though. The CB saga is a farce and could very well be the catalyst to take us down.

Going back to Warne like i say he has made his money now so prob wont be bothered that much if he gets the boot and good luck to him he never would have earned that with us.. If he did get the boot he would prob end up with a lower league club out on its arse a bit and do quite well eg Oldham one of his old clubs.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 18-09-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Don't get me wrong he did a good job at Rotherham in league 1 but they were his team he built from scratch. He kept all the good eggs and removed the bad eggs. Fortunately for us the bad eggs werent much cop but Derby prob have some bad eggs who are actually good players. How would he deal with them? Would they buy into his coaching? Would the fans? The emphasis on running is not gonna go down well with players if they are used to a passing game.Ours never were.

He may take you up but the pressures are much greater on him at Derby and fans a lot less forgiving.

Would i have him back? Yes if we really dropped down the leagues and we needed to start all over again.

I am hoping that MT may be the next stage manager we need to keep us on the up. He seems to be able to recruit players of decent quality that PW never could. He is not a "it has to be a good guy character" recruiter. He has at last started to get us to pass the ball a bit as well. He can be naive though. The CB saga is a farce and could very well be the catalyst to take us down.

Going back to Warne like i say he has made his money now so prob wont be bothered that much if he gets the boot and good luck to him he never would have earned that with us.. If he did get the boot he would prob end up with a lower league club out on its arse a bit and do quite well eg Oldham one of his old clubs.
    It's incredible reading like you say Roly. It's like a thread from this forum has been copied and pasted from 2 years ago!

So you've obviously not seen Matt Taylor's interviews when he has said incoming players have to be good people or is it just Paul Warne you didn't like saying the same thing .

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast