+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's not forget...

Considering we’ve not played in the Champions League for 20 years, have players who are mainly very inexperienced at this level and our first game being away to one of the most successful football club’s in history, we should all be incredibly proud of the point and performance. Sure, we weren’t at our best, especially in attack, but we battled hard and proved we belong at this level. The players will gain massive confidence from it too.

Personally, I think it's acceptable to on the one hand be very happy with us being back in the Champions League, to have enjoyed watching us play in Milan - and the occassion in general - and be very happy with the fact that we managed to achieve a draw, but simultaneously have a healthy scepticism with regards to us having no creativity or imagination on the ball, and why a player like Isak looked completely lost.

Many things to be happy with, many areas with room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Could've been one of those games where we snatched it right at the end; would be nice to try that one day.
    If you look at the subs, Hughie, I think Eddie did go for it. Mind if Longstaff’s shot had gone in at the end it would’ve a complete steal.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    If you look at the subs, Hughie, I think Eddie did go for it. Mind if Longstaff’s shot had gone in at the end it would’ve a complete steal.
    Absolutely! That wasn't a criticism of Eddie, more that this kind of thing usually happens to us, and it would be nice to be able to steal three points one day. I thought Eddie was brave yesterday with the team selection and got it more or less right.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Personally, I think it's acceptable to on the one hand be very happy with us being back in the Champions League, to have enjoyed watching us play in Milan - and the occassion in general - and be very happy with the fact that we managed to achieve a draw, but simultaneously have a healthy scepticism with regards to us having no creativity or imagination on the ball, and why a player like Isak looked completely lost.

Many things to be happy with, many areas with room for improvement.
    I’ve seen an anonymous performance from him like that playing for Sweden - he was marked out of the game and when the team sits a little deeper, as we did, the strikers get swarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I’ve seen an anonymous performance from him like that playing for Sweden - he was marked out of the game and when the team sits a little deeper, as we did, the strikers get swarmed.
    It can happen that the opponent is able to neutralize a player throughout long periods of a game, and obviously players are bound to have off days. I don't have it in for Isak specifically, I just think it's an area where we need to do better if we want to obtain points against the very, very good teams we will be playing against in the group stage, as we will be sitting deeper than we are used to in the Premier League for the most part.

We have an obvious, effective plan when our wingers and wingbacks are in possession, not so much when the striker is playing a deeper role and has to carry the ball forward. Just an observation.

Liverpool won it without winning a single away game,to get a point at the San Siro is an achievement.

Howe said we did not set out to play a strictly defensive game but were forced into it.

Although Isak is technically better than Wilson he is more a winger or number ten,Wilson is much better at leading the line as he is an old fashioned centre forward,he should always lead the line away from home as an outlet when we are pushed back.

Take away from yesterdays match is that we went toe to toe with last seasons Champions League semi-finalists.

How many teams are gonna go to the San Siro this season and take points this season.

What every has been said in the press or by other fans is irrelevant. What's being written is born out of jealous. Chelsea & the Bindipper fans among the press wish they were playing AC Milan last night.

Great point, would have taken it before the game and thought we might struggle to keep a clean sheet by during half time but they came out better second half.

As Eddie said, for the majority of the squad this was a brand new experience, not an easy place to get a win and the players need to adjust from Prem to European refereeing.

But again the midfield looks poor, it’s a real issue and until we sort it I think we are going to have to dig deep and win ugly, but I trust Howe will sort it out before too long.

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with last night's point.

Never mind the benefits going forward (the confidence, the experience, the actual point itself!!), to go there and get a point with a clean sheet against a team with such European experience and pedigree...honestly, man, how good is that??

I'm not ignoring the midfield issue-it is a genuine concern-but, for me, it can't take the gloss off what we achieved in our first Champions League match in over 20 years...parity!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)