+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarets v United Match Preview.

Clarets v United Match Preview.

Clarets Mad - Clarets v Manchester United, English Premier League Match Preview.
    Venue: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley BB10 4BX.
    Kick-off – 20.00 – Saturday 23rd September 2023.

Burnley entertain Manchester United at Turf Moor in yet another absurd made for TV Saturday night eight o’clock kick-off English Premier League fixture.

Vincent Kompany has three very valid reasons to be fearful come Saturday night. First off, a Manchester United backlash following last weekend’s hammering at home to Brighton. The Reds do not take kindly to being humiliated in their own backyard.

Second thing to fear, the dreadful VAR which is a magic eye capable of conjuring up all sorts of reasons to ruin the beautiful game. The concept of clearing up the “clear and obvious” cost Burnley three points at the City ground on Monday night. There was absolutely nothing clear and obvious why Burnley’s second goal was cancelled out for an alleged handball.

Third reason to be fearful, the alarming PGMOL who seem determined to ruin Burnley’s return to the EPL at the earliest possible opportunity. Referees such as the woefully inept match referee Rob Jones who has “previous” as far as dubious decisions against Burnley go and “off another planet” VAR operator Darren England. Hard to believe Paul Heckingbottom is not right in calling these clowns out for the sheer ineptitude of their match officiating.

Nottingham Forest made an official complaint against scandalously poor refereeing by Jones at Old Trafford; it hardly came as a surprise in their next game up Burnley are on the receiving end of doubtful game changing match officiating.

The PGMOL was constructed in 2001 with the aim of improving refereeing standards: it’s failed badly and now is the time for the English FA to call it out and try something different. In my opinion VAR and poor match officiating are ruining the English Premier League matchday experience for football fans, managers and players alike.

English Football League clubs are certainly showing no interest in adopting VAR despite comments made by Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson and others who agree that the standard of match officiating is at “an all-time low and claim the integrity of the sport is being compromised."

It is hard to disagree with Nigel Pearson after watching the performance of Rob Jones at the City ground on Monday night. Abysmal hardly covers it and VAR is certainly not helping.

One’s to watch: The Clarets will be without the much-improved Lyle Foster following his controversial late red card on Monday night, but in-form Swiss striker Zeki Amdouni and ****age sensation Luca Koleosho will pose obvious threats to the United defence. Manuel Benson may also feature in this game and I hope he gets back on track, this game will be the perfect time to do it.

The Reds will inevitably have the formidable Marcus Rashford and the Portuguese international Bruno Fernandes who are both more than capable of turning a game on its head in their starting line-up. The recent £72 million signing from Atalanta Rasmus Hojlund is starting to find his feet and netted United’s opener in Munich. The goal against column is undoubtedly the Reds current major concern.

Verdict: Manchester United have conceded 10 goals in their last three games; losing to the Gunners and the Seagulls in the Premier League and Wednesday night suffered a 4-3 reverse against Bayern Munich in the Champions League. I think United will feel the need to win this game and I expect them to leave Turf Moor with a 3-1 win under their belts.

Footnote: I now fear the antics of the VAR operators more than I do the team the Clarets are playing. The VAR impact is negative, offers no positives and it is clear and obvious the whole concept needs consigning to the bin. I hope Saturday night’s game is not marred by the VAR malarkey, but I will not be holding my breath. (TEC).

" Hard to believe Paul Heckingbottom is not right in calling these clowns out for the sheer ineptitude of their match officiating."

He was right, but the muppets on MOTD and pundits in general showed no interest in backing him. Perhaps they secretly love the controversy, keeps them in work.

Who replaces Foster ? I reckon Jayrod, but Vinni is hard to predict, I wouldn't put money on it.

My money is going on Wilson Odobert, apparently he's lethal in training.

I would love to see Odobert start if that’s the case BT. Not sure what Jay offers these days sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by wmdave_b View Post
    I would love to see Odobert start if that’s the case BT. Not sure what Jay offers these days sadly.
    I'll bet we moved heaven and earth to move him on in the last window but his wages are astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'll bet we moved heaven and earth to move him on in the last window but his wages are astronomical.
    I’d guess BT he’d be looking to stay at Burnley or at least local , company I do a lot for have just done his house out top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    I’d guess BT he’d be looking to stay at Burnley or at least local , company I do a lot for have just done his house out top notch.
    I think you're right army, I believe Jay is settled back in the area. Those rumours of a move to the USA soon died a death.

BT:

''Burnley entertain Manchester United at Turf Moor in yet another absurd made for TV Saturday night''

It means I can see that game on the Telly here, (in the land of sunshine! )

It's on TNT which used to be BTSport. I used to pay £12 a month for that, TNT is £28 a month, no way am I paying that.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's on TNT which used to be BTSport. I used to pay £12 a month for that, TNT is £28 a month, no way am I paying that.
    I'm not sure how this works sinkov but my wife enabled "Discovery Plus" I think it's called, which is effectively the old BT Sport and costs us about a tenner a month.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)