+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team today/squad rotation

Team today/squad rotation

Very keen to see what team we put out tonight as personally I wonder whether Emery is just gonna play pretty much the strongest team every game until there legs drop off 🤣

I was shocked to see the starting X1 mate. But the more that I look at it, the better I feel.

Onwards n Upwards.

UTV

I was surprised tbh but then we bring all the rested players on anyway cos things weren’t going well which concerns me tbh as have we got the squad to cope with a pl top 6 challenge and Europe ?

Still trying to process what we saw tonight. Some really quite appalling defending for all three of their goals and it’s not for the first time this season. I think it highlights the influence of Mings on our good defensive displays last season. We clearly don’t have the strength in depth at the back to threaten the top end of the premiership or indeed European competition. Unai has some serious magic to weave if he’s going to address this but Chambers at right back is not it. Would rather have kept Young as understudy.

Am I the only one who feels mah about europe? if we werent in it the conference league would mean nothing. id rather finish high in the league and please can we win the fa cup in my lifetime? i've only got a few years left for gods sake!

Quote Originally Posted by mondaze View Post
    Am I the only one who feels mah about europe? if we werent in it the conference league would mean nothing. id rather finish high in the league and please can we win the fa cup in my lifetime? i've only got a few years left for gods sake!
    I see your point, Mondaze. I don’t believe that we’ll win another European trophy in my lifetime. For my son, this Conference League thing is his only realistic hope of European glory. Unfortunately for him, I see quite a few better teams in the tournament, than the Villa.

Our defence rode their luck last season (none more than Tyrone). Other decent coaches will have had the summer to suss us out. We will no longer be able to sneak under the radar, teams want to play us.

We’ve played 3 away games at intimidating Stadia, where we’ve frozen, and had our pants pulled down, each time.

As a squad, and as individuals, we’re not as good as many think that we are, and nowhere near as bad, either. We’re clueless in defence, and incredibly lucky in front of goal.

Oooh, and midfield is a bit crap

P.s. The F.A. Cup? Tis but a dream

From the highlight clips I've seen we play some great stuff in the final third, but defensively we just don't look like a unit - that said it can take time for new central defensive partnerships to develop and Torres is new to English football. Dreading Brighton though!

As for strength in depth, it's thereabouts overall but having 2 centre halves injured at the same time is going to have an impact. Last night could be a blessing in disguise if there was any complacency about the ECL teams.

First X1 is fine, or would be with the injured lads, EM2, Mings, Moreno, and JJ.

His 'bubble and squeak' X1 on the other hand? Our cup-king appears to be a cup-cake. Thank fk Hibs are ah1t.

EFL Cup Man U...L
    F.A.Cup Stevenage...L
    UCL Warsaw...L
    EFL CUP Everton...L

Everton had Stevenage vibes all over it, obvious to me that the gaps between defence and midfielders was too big to play our passing game. Rotation is fine as long as it's not too many changes - the plan isn't working.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)