+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ollie

That was a brilliant all-around forward performance, v BHA. He ran the media’s darlings back 4 ragged.

Striker please

Quote Originally Posted by bongosdad View Post
    Striker please
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledvillan View Post
    OW is a fine forward, I like him and was pleased he scored his 1st Prem goal this season, yesterday. However, he’s a lucky streak type of player. He’ll not worry a barndoor for months, then go on an impressive run (once a season). He snatches, he hits and hopes, just swings a blind peg and therefore is not a natural goalscorer.

Alas, OW’s hit-and-hope approach to scoring will continue to hit my hopes, of Villa glory. OW is a good forward, but we need better to reach the dizzy heights that I hope that we crave.

Hello EV The evidence would seem to suggest otherwise. Pretty consistent returns per season for a barn door shooter.
    Last three seasons have returned 15,11, and 14 goals with 20 assists. Plenty of clubs would love that kind of return. Big engine and works hard for the team. That’s a champion right there.

Morning OZ. As I posted, he is indeed a fine forward. It was his miss ratio, especially when he has time to think, i.e. one-on-one % situations. I mentioned his hot streaks and his awfully long barren spells. His hit and hopes.

Those stats, based on chances, should read 20, 25, even maybe 30.

As I said, I like him and appreciate his work ethic.

I just don't see him as a clinical striker. He misses too much.

Totally agree oz. I found some stats of our top scorers each season in the Premier league.

Season
    22,23 Watkins 15
    21,22 Watkins 11
    20,21 Watkins 14
    19,20 Grealish 8
    15,16 Ayew 7
    14,15 Benteke 13
    13,14 Benteke 10
    12,13 Benteke 19
    11,12 Bent 9
    10,11 Bent 9
    09,10 Gabby 13
    08,09 Gabby and Carew 11
    07,08 Carew 13
    06,07 Gabby 9
    05,06 Baros and Moore 8
    04,05 Solano 8
    03,04 Angal 16
    02,03 Dublin 9
    01,02 Angal and Vassell 12
    00,01 Dublin 12
    99,00 Dublin 12
    98,99 Joachim 14
    97,98 York 12
    96,97 York17
    95,96 York 17
    94,95 Saunders 15
    93,94 Saunders 10
    92,93 Saunders 13

There are some very good strikers in that lot and Olli is doing fine. Bent was the natural goal scorer we all wanted and ended up with 9 goals in his best season.

Be carful what you wish for comes to mind

Here we go. Every opinion can be supported by some form of Statistic. Lies, damn lies, and statistics (Mark Twain).

So to play your game, here are the ‘Big Chances Missed’ stats, from your beloved Fantasy Football site.

So far this season FF state that OW has missed 6 big chances. Bearing in mind his assist column includes players scoring from his missed chances, blinding crosses etc. Dougie’s on Saturday.

Last season, according to the same site, he missed 20 big chances. If he had scored just 5 (25%) of those, he would have hit 20 league goals. The difference maybe, between the Europa League and the Conference?

Stats are like bikinis, they reveal all that is interesting but they hide what is v1tal, so I’ll stop now, as I don’t wish to instigate the literary assassination of a fine player, who I merely have a question about.

I’m happy to agree to disagree.

That bikini analogy is class Exiled, not heard that one before

Those stats don't half make depressing reading, I'm backing Ollie to get 20+ PL goals this season - we are a better side already in the final third and didn't have Emery at the wheel for 1/3rd of last season.

Just signed a new contract.

New striker please

Yes he can frustrate at times but end of day I love his work rate and sure he can get more goals this season than last as he’s thriving under Emery. Glad he has signed his new contract and deserves it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)