+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Cracking Open The Door

UEFA Cracking Open The Door

To allow Russian U17 sides to compete again.

Thoughts?

See below from Sky News.

‘England opposes partial return of Russian teams in Europe
    By Rob Harris, sport correspondent
    England will oppose playing matches against Russian football teams after UEFA suddenly lifted its blanket ban on the country competing in its competitions to allow under-17s fixtures.
    European football's governing body took the decision at a meeting of its executive committee 18 months after banning all Russian teams from its competitions following the full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
    UEFA said: "Children should not be punished for actions whose responsibility lies exclusively with adults and is firmly convinced that football should never give up sending messages of peace and hope.
    "It is particularly aggrieving that, due to the enduring conflict, a generation of minors is deprived of its right to compete in international football."
    Russian U17 teams will be allowed to play in Europe again but without their national flag, anthem or national kit. Games can't be played in Russia.
    But Sky News understands the Football Association does not support readmitting Russia to UEFA youth competitions and its position remains that England teams won't play against Russia.
    The ban prevented Russia playing at the Women's European Championship in England in 2022 and from qualifying for the men's and women's World Cup.
    UEFA insists senior teams will all remain banned at club and national team levels from its competitions.
    Aleksander Ceferin, its president, said: "UEFA's continuing suspension against Russian adult teams reflects its commitment to take a stand against violence and aggression.
    "UEFA is determined that this position will continue until the war is over and peace restored.
    "But by banning children from our competitions, we not only fail to recognise and uphold a fundamental right for their holistic development but we directly discriminate against them.
    "By providing opportunities to play and compete with their peers from all over Europe, we are investing in what we hope will be a brighter and more capable future generation and a better tomorrow."
    World governing body FIFA did not reply to a request for comment.’

Terrible decision. Kids may not be responsible for the actions of adults (Putin) but putting a ban on them playing may make them question why they are in this position. This in turn may lead them to make changes in their country when they are adults. We need to continually put more pressure on Russia not less.

A lot of ordinary Russians have little respect for Putin and no control over what he does either internally or externally. I don’t have a problem with sport being non political after all most of us here can’t stand the “taking the knee” even, because politics isn’t sport. That’s my view. I’m just wondering if individual club members in tennis clubs who happen to be Russian are banned from the club? Of course not. Do we stop serving Russians in the Supermarket? Why would we? How petty could this thing get?

It is true that children should not be held responsible for the sins of their father's but only in an ideal world are children "innocent" and doubtless many U17s in Russia have swallowed Putin's propaganda. I am sure that there are members in both the U17 and adult teams who support Putin just as there are those that do not so what is the difference? Why allow the U17s to play but not the others?

Sanctions against any country will impact on those not complicit with the ideals and actions of the regime's leadership but surely that is part of the point of such sanctions, to encourage the population of such countries to question the actions of their leadership?

I know some may argue that Sports or other cultural events should be totally a-political but is it really morally right that the individuals involved are then not allowed to speak up against injustices and pretend to be neutral? Sports people, like musicians and other artists (or businesses come to that) should surely also be allowed a conscience and only if they are able to speak up will there be a possibility of change. The Beatles, for example, would have been wrong to play segregated audiences on their US tour but whilst they didn't refuse to play the South they did insist on non segregation. There is a big difference between those who take the money and perform in countries with oppressive regimes that refuse to criticise and act "neutral" and those that perform and voice their concerns to support the victims of such regimes. Paul Simon was criticised for touring South Africa during apartheid but he purposely collaborated with Black South African artists like Miriam Makeba and Hugh Masekela and played to Black audiences. Ultimately, it was surely better that he did tour there to use his influence and "star power" to show support for Black South African artists and try and effect change than not to have gone?

Jessie Owens famously let his performance on the track speak for itself during the 1936 Olympics to refute the Nazis racial stereotyping so allowing international sporting-or other events-to continue and involve unsavoury regimes can make a difference, but I would say that they should only go ahead if those participating are allowed to reasonably voice their criticisms. The moot point, of course, is defining what is "reasonable" and the balance between showing respect for other countries whilst still being able to criticise certain behaviours or actions is the tricky bit.

As for Russia, for as long as Putin is engaged in his invasion of Ukraine I personally think that Sanctions should continue and that includes sporting events.

Totally agree, Omegstrat!

Keep them all banned!! Let them play and they will mock and take the p iss with Z symbols as they have previously!

Putin laughs at the West because we are too soft! Its like some saying we feel for thousands of illegals pouring into the country!!! A line has to be drawn and unless you are tough everything crumbles!

Some do need to put into context that innocent Ukrainians are being tortured, murdered, raped, and executed. People should think - what if this were my family before going all soft!!’

What has the illegals have to do with allowing Russia to return in competing in international football.

It is purely a question of whether one accepts the reasoning behind UEFA’s decision or one does not.

Whether you are from Ukraine, from a North African country or anywhere else where conflict rages and where people are also tortured, murdered, raped and executed, there is no difference. People are people, all suffering from a threat. So let’s try to keep it on topic rather than bang the old illegals drum. We all know there is a problem, no one has a solution.

Personally I do not like to see politics in sport. However, there are times when a line is crossed, such as in the case of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, that sport needs to make a stand. This is one such occasion mostly for the reasons Omeg has already stated.

Sadly, and that is why I chose the title of this thread, I suspect this is just the beginning of an attempt by UEFA to get Russia and Belarus back in the fold.

I hope UEFA members find it unpalatable and refuse to play against either Russia or Belarus.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    What has the illegals have to do with allowing Russia to return in competing in international football.

It is purely a question of whether one accepts the reasoning behind UEFA’s decision or one does not.

Whether you are from Ukraine, from a North African country or anywhere else where conflict rages and where people are also tortured, murdered, raped and executed, there is no difference. People are people, all suffering from a threat. So let’s try to keep it on topic rather than bang the old illegals drum. We all know there is a problem, no one has a solution.

Personally I do not like to see politics in sport. However, there are times when a line is crossed, such as in the case of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, that sport needs to make a stand. This is one such occasion mostly for the reasons Omeg has already stated.

Sadly, and that is why I chose the title of this thread, I suspect this is just the beginning of an attempt by UEFA to get Russia and Belarus back in the fold.

I hope UEFA members find it unpalatable and refuse to play against either Russia or Belarus.

The response was based on the West being totally soft in many ways. You have gone off topic yourself by mentioning conflicts in North Africa or elsewhere, where unless you tell me otherwise - Russians in these counties are not executing, raping and murdering their civilians!!! Omeg's posts are three times more worthy than your own as he does not nitpick at certain points to wind another poster up. If you don't like one sentence in a post - than ignore it like any other poster or Omeg but hey you choose to create arguments. The last one was with Steve who is three times more liked than you will ever be but you can't help yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    The response was based on the West being totally soft in many ways. You have gone off topic yourself by mentioning conflicts in North Africa or elsewhere, where unless you tell me otherwise - Russians in these counties are not executing, raping and murdering their civilians!!! Omeg's posts are three times more worthy than your own as he does not nitpick at certain points to wind another poster up. If you don't like one sentence in a post - than ignore it like any other poster or Omeg but hey you choose to create arguments. The last one was with Steve who is three times more liked than you will ever be but you can't help yourself!
    Why are you so defensive. Where have I said anything you might take umbrage to. I only suggested that you had gone off topic by involving refugees from other countries.

What you have written above makes little sense to be honest. You may have written it in haste and not checked it prior to pressing the send button.

I have never said any poster was less liked or is less intelligent than me. Interesting, perhaps more peculiar you should feel the need to mention it.

If you can show me where I have nit picked please do.

I stand by what I said in relation to the original topic of the thread.

Hope we can both leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    Why are you so defensive. Where have I said anything you might take umbrage to. I only suggested that you had gone off topic by involving refugees from other countries.

What you have written above makes little sense to be honest. You may have written it in haste and not checked it prior to pressing the send button.

I have never said any poster was less liked or is less intelligent than me. Interesting, perhaps more peculiar you should feel the need to mention it.

If you can show me where I have nit picked please do.

I stand by what I said in relation to the original topic of the thread.

Hope we can both leave it there.

Yawn yawn! Your nit picking of Steve’s post was trivial and he’s a top bloke and then you jump on illegals but go on about there’s no difference to what’s happening in other countries besides Ukraine! What has the thread got to do with other countries when the objection is about Russians competing in sport again due to the Ukraine tragedy? Does North Africa have anything to do with Ukraine? Is North African within Europe! No - so we will leave it there!

Are you watching the celebrity race across the world tonight! Good viewing and you will see Africa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)