+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- The Dam Busters!

Quote Originally Posted by LincsPie View Post
    You're quite right about the Petwood and Woodhall Spa village in general being a fine
    tribute to 617 Sqn especially the monument in the shape of a dam by the roundabout
    and particularly now RAF Scampton has closed (and part of which is to be used used for another
    purpose which would kick off a whole new thread), but I had to point it out.
    Fair enough, when I went to Woodhall Spa everything closed really early (restaurants at 9:30, pubs about an hour later). Is that particular to there or for most smaller Lincolnshire towns/villages? Caught us out the first time we went as we expected Notts times for pubs/restaurants (our bad for not checking).

P.S. Donate to the East Kirkby Aviation Centre (Just Jane plus the latest the Mosquito they recently aquired). Beem there for many events.

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    Fair enough, when I went to Woodhall Spa everything closed really early (restaurants at 9:30, pubs about an hour later). Is that particular to there or for most smaller Lincolnshire towns/villages? Caught us out the first time we went as we expected Notts times for pubs/restaurants (our bad for not checking).

P.S. Donate to the East Kirkby Aviation Centre (Just Jane plus the latest the Mosquito they recently aquired). Beem there for many events.
    Good to see some Military aviation on here, anyone go to RIAT or Duxford this year? Anyone see tbe Lane over Nottingham city Centre a couple of weekends ago?

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I have only used it in the same way someone may say "bloody poms" for example. So perhaps pom is also racist.
    What I don't get is that abbreviated versions of Japanese and Pakistani are somehow racist and yet Pom is still allowed? Obviously can't complain about it and reinforce another stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I had never ever heard of the c word being used here but I did find it weird being British by birth that the cheese was called that. Most people here would have no clue.
    I well remember seeing Coon cheese in a Sydney supermarket on my first trip over there in 1986. Couldn't believe it. Led to a lifetimes interest in visiting supermarkets in overseas countries to see what other delights they have. I recall sitting on the floor laughing at dog food in rolls in the supermarket fridge in NZ, although at the time I was very, very drunk.

Back on topic, I don't think you should whitewash history, if I can still use the term. Things happened, some weren't nice, but to bury them away is to alter our very history. By all means have warnings etc, blank the word out if you really must but don't change it to something else. Someone mentioned Dixie. How long until re-runs of the Dukes of Hazard are banned?

History is a lesson for the future and shouldn't be altered to appease those people historically mistreated.

Yeh how fitting to use RAF Scampton as a holiday home for economic migrants, after it was at the forefront to keep our country and borders safe against the Nazi's.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Yeh how fitting to use RAF Scampton as a holiday home for economic migrants, after it was at the forefront to keep our country and borders safe against the Nazi's.
    Well at least they'll have some company there as that's also where the asylum seekers will be staying, many of whom are fleeing oppressive regimes not entirely unlike those Nazis.

Didzy, most definitely one of our own

https://x.com/Official_NCFC/status/1709338248428867916?s=20

Yes all those poor young single asylum seeking men, with out a wife/woman or kids in sight. If I had seen any of the afore mentioned people I would have every sympathy, but I am yet to see either a young child or woman young or old.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Yes all those poor young single asylum seeking men, with out a wife/woman or kids in sight. If I had seen any of the afore mentioned people I would have every sympathy, but I am yet to see either a young child or woman young or old.
    You can almost hear GB News on in the background as you type this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    You can almost hear GB News on in the background as you type this.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast