+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rathbone

When I read this my mouth was agape.

“To be honest, it's cooled off a little bit,” Rathbone said. “I’d had a positive conversation with the manager just before opening day (August 5) and I came out of the meeting thinking it was really close to being agreed but it was in the midst of the transfer window and the club then said it wasn’t something they could do at the time, which was disappointing but I understood.

“The ball's in their court as to when talks start again. It's cold at the moment.” The lad has been very open and honest and to me it sounds like the club are stalling.

Are they wanting his agent to go out there and sell Ollie for our club? WTF is going on? Don't we usually read the greedy agent story that makes our players stall until inevitably they then say no and see their contract out? For me Ollie is the epitome of what a midfield engine driving Captain of a team should be. The terrier midfielder who gives his all.

I simply cannot believe the club are making him wait until January, what is wrong with them do they want another, Chio/Smith scenario? 12 month extension or not, do they want him to feel under valued so he slams in a transfer request. He along with Viktor have been the only two players to show real intent in wanting to stay at the club.

I did give it thought as to why several reasons have caused the stall but I might be just be second guessing.

1. A substantial pay increase so as to bring him into line with what Wiles was on.

2. He wants the pay increase to start as soon as he re signs.

3. There's nothing left in the pot to pay him the wage increase if point 2 is invoked.

4. Someone has to be sold first in January in order to cover Ollie's new wage demands.

5. The club are looking to sell hard in January to balance the books, and as much as Taylor says he want Ollie to sign a new contract, the club see him a high saleable asset.

We have here the perfect opportunity to retain a player we know well and serves the club well in performance, attitude and respect for his employer not looking for the fast buck move out of here. Good on you Ollie lad.
    Last edited by Brin; 06-10-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I would imagine it also depends upon what division we’re in
    Tony’s enthusiasm may have waned after our recent slump
    Keep giving lucrative contracts to footballers when the team isn’t performing is probably not what he wants to do
    Surely Tony is protected in that in all contract talks, should a club be relegated then players wages regardless of contract, also drop to reflect the loss of higher revenue from the FA?

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Sell him

We now have better players with better technique
    You mean long in the tooth journey boys that won't be here next season?

He's a championship player. Can't see him being next season so bye

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    ibs, you've re surfaced and are being silly again.
    Brin, I think you should pay more attention to people like myself who know their football.

I mean there are people on this board who actually thought that we were going to win 10 games this season

I mean try and get your head round that. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Brin, I think you should pay more attention to people like myself who know their football.

I mean there are people on this board who actually thought that we were going to win 10 games this season

I mean try and get your head round that. ��
    ibs, old bean, fear not I know my football. I've never played at a high level but I've watched, studied form, seen it all to understand the game and what it has to offer. In Taylor I trust

Surely Tony is protected in that in all contract talks, should a club be relegated then players wages regardless of contract, also drop to reflect the loss of higher revenue from the FA?
    Yes true
    But presumably he still has to be paid an inflated / improved salary between now and July. That’s 10 months
    What would you do if you were TS
    Many fans on here can’t even be bothered to invest £50 to go to away games anymore

We’re all in Southampton now. Up the Millers . Heroes every one of us

Yes true
    But presumably he still has to be paid an inflated / improved salary between now and July. That’s 10 months
    What would you do if you were TS
    Many fans on here can’t even be bothered to invest £50 to go to away games anymore

We’re all in Southampton now. Up the Millers . Heroes every one of us
    Flour, Fair points pal. I'm down in Southampton myself tomorrow shall I wear a pink carnation in my lapel so you spot me and i'll buy you a pint?

Flour, Fair points pal. I'm down in Southampton myself tomorrow shall I wear a pink carnation in my lapel so you spot me and i'll buy you a pint?
    Well credit to you Mr B that’s great to hear
    Proper fan supporting the team through a tricky period
    I’ll be the one with a nervous look on my face as the defensive line up is announced

Well credit to you Mr B that’s great to hear
    Proper fan supporting the team through a tricky period
    I’ll be the one with a nervous look on my face as the defensive line up is announced
    In that case I'll not be able to spot you as all the faces will look like that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast