+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do We Have The Squad To Fight A Relegation Battle?

Do We Have The Squad To Fight A Relegation Battle?

In my opinion, the players which MT has brought into the squad are geared towards playing the type of football which would achieve a mid table finish. Due to circumstances which we are all aware of, we find ourselves in a position which almost guarantees that the rest of the season will be spent trying to avoid relegation. This requires a certain type of player to successfully take on the challenge.

I wonder if we have the caliber of player to battle out a relegation fight. Our defence at the moment is a lottery and the lack of consistency will not work in our favour. The lack of a fighter and leader such as Richard Wood will work against us.

In midfield, I'd like to see the likes of Lindsay available. Unfortunately, players such as Teihi and Cafu are creatively excellent, but I wouldn't back them to put in the effort to keep us in the league if things get tough.

Up front, no-one has the ability of Michael Smith to hold up the ball and relieve pressure on the rest of the team. Ogbene was always dependable to give us an outlet and Fergusson would never waste an opportunity to hold on to the ball and put in a meaningful cross.

It might just be me, but I don't think we have a set of players which would be prepared to put in the hard graft required to ensure a fourth from bottom finish?

After Wednesday what with what happened at the game and after on here and other social media , one thing that is certain is we certainly don't have the supporters to battle out a relegation battle .

Quote Originally Posted by GlennMiller View Post
    In my opinion, the players which MT has brought into the squad are geared towards playing the type of football which would achieve a mid table finish. Due to circumstances which we are all aware of, we find ourselves in a position which almost guarantees that the rest of the season will be spent trying to avoid relegation. This requires a certain type of player to successfully take on the challenge.

I wonder if we have the caliber of player to battle out a relegation fight. Our defence at the moment is a lottery and the lack of consistency will not work in our favour. The lack of a fighter and leader such as Richard Wood will work against us.

In midfield, I'd like to see the likes of Lindsay available. Unfortunately, players such as Teihi and Cafu are creatively excellent, but I wouldn't back them to put in the effort to keep us in the league if things get tough.

Up front, no-one has the ability of Michael Smith to hold up the ball and relieve pressure on the rest of the team. Ogbene was always dependable to give us an outlet and Fergusson would never waste an opportunity to hold on to the ball and put in a meaningful cross.

It might just be me, but I don't think we have a set of players which would be prepared to put in the hard graft required to ensure a fourth from bottom finish?
    One of the reasons we get Rathbone signed up, Ferguson back November time.

Ferguson was past his best when we signed him he's not the answer. Green another one just going through the motions. Fred he's not a player who'll track back & cover in defence. Centre backs I'd play Douglas with Peltier & Hall between them with him. 4-5-1 got to be now especially today at Southampton

Looks like you might just have got your answer Glenn hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Ferguson was past his best when we signed him he's not the answer. Green another one just going through the motions. Fred he's not a player who'll track back & cover in defence. Centre backs I'd play Douglas with Peltier & Hall between them with him. 4-5-1 got to be now especially today at Southampton
    Ferguson would out run most of this squad (and track back). Were a better team with him in it

I think Cafu gets unfair stick for being a player who doesn't put effort in. He was immense in the Norwich game and some of the tackles he put in were excellent. He put good effort in against Bristol City too but was clearly not 100% and rusty after his injury lay off. He is creative but I definitely think there's more to his game than that.

Peltier, Rathbone, Hugill and Bramall all do different jobs for us with different levels of success but all of them dig deep and give 100% every game. As does Viktor in goal, players with real heart. When he gets a chance, Kelly gives his all too

I don't see any lack of effort in Blackett and Humphreys' games either and both will be a real loss with the injuries.

With Ferguson and Lindsay to come back eventually, I think we have the backbone of a team that will dig deep when needed. We just need to try and keep them fit!

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Ferguson would out run most of this squad (and track back). Were a better team with him in it

would have a few seasons ago!

One of the potential benefits of our current situation is that we may just discover that some players are adept in positions that they never been tried in before. Always opportunity there for some in the face of adversity

Judging by todays second half performance you could say yes but, how many times will they be able to rise to the occasion when called upon?

That’s the main question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast