+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rovers Return

Totally unconvincing performance. 2 situations the Alex clearly don't like: taking the lead and facing 10 men.
    I really don't understand the transformation that happens. First 15 minutes, moving the ball around sharply using the full width of the pitch and then we take the lead and it all comes juddering to a halt. The centre halves and goalkeeper start playing a game of their own and then disaster...the opposition goes down to 10 men. Cue for 'walking football'. On comes Finney to play backpasses to Mickey D and nothing else. The old Offord from last season reappears and is constantly side-on to the ball looking for the pass back to the keeper.
    Last season when we did manage to win was rarely enjoyable because of the lack of positivity. There is no need to be leaving with that feeling this season but I am totally frustrated at the lack of ambition shown. Another 2 goals would have seen us 3rd.
    At the end of the season goal difference could be crucial.

Really shoddy from ITV again tonight. 1st the graphic spelling Crew(e) wrongly. Then showing the table with a red arrow pointing downwards next to Crewe's position. So ITV...moving from 6th to 4th is downwards is it?
    Bring back Quest!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Really shoddy from ITV again tonight. 1st the graphic spelling Crew(e) wrongly. Then showing the table with a red arrow pointing downwards next to Crewe's position. So ITV...moving from 6th to 4th is downwards is it?
    Bring back Quest!
    The coverage of anything outside the Premier League is awful, and getting worse.

Forgot to mention - good to see a decent turnout for the game today.

On the other hand - that mysterious stoppage in the second half ...it seems coins were being thrown at somebody by someone ...not clear which group of "supporters" were responsible, suspect it was theirs. Nice to see the ref looked after himself by keeping his distance but didn't bother informing the players or the official on that side.
    Where do we get these absolute plonkers from? What was Davies booked for?

Forgot to mention - good to see a decent turnout for the game today.

On the other hand - that mysterious stoppage in the second half ...it seems coins were being thrown at somebody by someone ...not clear which group of "supporters" were responsible, suspect it was theirs. Nice to see the ref looked after himself by keeping his distance but didn't bother informing the players or the official on that side.
    Where do we get these absolute plonkers from? What was Davies booked for?
    Kicking the ball away I suspect. The referee was awful today. Fortunately he didn't influence the result but he could easily have handed out three red cards today but chose not to.

Totally unconvincing performance. 2 situations the Alex clearly don't like: taking the lead and facing 10 men.
    I really don't understand the transformation that happens. First 15 minutes, moving the ball around sharply using the full width of the pitch and then we take the lead and it all comes juddering to a halt. The centre halves and goalkeeper start playing a game of their own and then disaster...the opposition goes down to 10 men. Cue for 'walking football'. On comes Finney to play backpasses to Mickey D and nothing else. The old Offord from last season reappears and is constantly side-on to the ball looking for the pass back to the keeper.
    Last season when we did manage to win was rarely enjoyable because of the lack of positivity. There is no need to be leaving with that feeling this season but I am totally frustrated at the lack of ambition shown. Another 2 goals would have seen us 3rd.
    At the end of the season goal difference could be crucial.
    It would appear we saw the game differently. For the first hour I felt that at last we had a 3 man midfield that was competitive, hassled, closed down, and most importantly could create solid attacking moves. A big differences from weakly giving the ball away. It is essential that we have a competitive midfield to reduce the amount of silly goals we are giving away.

A word of caution. could it have been that Rovers were so bad it made it easy for our midfield. On the day they were a poor team.

It all started to go downhill when we started to make subs. there was not the same drive or spirit. Could it be that some of our younger players have to change their attitude and seriously lift the level of their game? Or is it down to the negative tactics of our management mindset?

On the positive side for the first hour I felt it was our best whole team display so far this season.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    On the positive side for the first hour I felt it was our best whole team display so far this season.
    Totally agree with that. Apart from the subs - really just saving legs it seemed - I felt the whole game lost its shape after the stoppage, and never really got it back - apart from the goal of course!

I thought we were by far the best side for an hour. On the front foot from the off, really up for the game. As ever we needed the 2nd goal before ht that our play deserved. Flat back 4 works for me as we then have a solid midfield 3, who were tremendous until the subs broke up the unity a little. Shilow was absolutely unplayable, just his final ball not quite right. All in all, an excellent performance, a clean sheet and another 3 points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12