+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 📅Pre-Match Build-Up Thread: Gillingham FC 21.10.23 - 5,000th League Game

📅Pre-Match Build-Up Thread: Gillingham FC 21.10.23 - 5,000th League Game

Saturday’s trip to Gillingham will see us participate in our 5,000th Football League match.

We’ll become only the eighth club to reach the impressive figure, following in the footsteps of Preston, Burnley, Wolves, Derby, Bolton, West Brom and Blackburn.

To enable as many of our supporters as possible to be part of this historic occasion, we’re offering free coach travel to Priestfield - and supporters will also be able to purchase commemorative items.

The first of these items is a poster featuring some of the club’s greatest ever players and managers, which will be available online and in store from 9am on Thursday. Our all-time leading goalscorer, Les Bradd, features on the poster and will be in the shop from 10am-3pm to sign copies and chat about our incredible history.

In addition, a very limited number of exclusive commemorative coins featuring details of the landmark will also be available to purchase. Each coin is individually numbered and comes in a special presentation box including a certificate of authenticity. These can be purchased online or by completing an order form in the club shop from 9am on Thursday.

The build-up to Saturday will also present us with the opportunity to celebrate our plethora of past achievements, which include nine league titles and many promotions.

We’d therefore love to hear supporters’ favourite memories and see the best photos from their days following us in the Football League.

To make a submission, use the hashtag #Notts5000 on X (formerly Twitter) or email media@nottscountyfc.co.uk. Please note - by submitting a message or photograph you consent to it potentially being used on our digital platforms, as well as in our matchday programme.

Our owners, Chris and Alex Reedtz, said: “We share supporters’ immense pride in the club’s status as founding members of the Football League and are therefore excited to reach this incredible milestone.”

The EFL will also be recognising our achievements by presenting us with a commemorative plaque at a forthcoming home match and publishing a variety of content on their channels.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/october/5000th-football-league-match-161023/

I wonder if Gillingham still hand out those plastic rain macs to away supporters ?....Saturdays forecast not looking good..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I wonder if Gillingham still hand out those plastic rain macs to away supporters ?....Saturdays forecast not looking good..
    Would be a real shame if the game was off, especially with it being the 5,000th. Fingers crossed all's well.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Would be a real shame if the game was off, especially with it being the 5,000th. Fingers crossed all's well.
    On the other hand, it would be lovely if the 5,000th league game was at home next week.

Probably just me, but I'm a bit irritated by this, it's league game 5,170 as far as I'm concerned, but even if I was to accept it should just be EFL games that count, should play offs not be part of the equation as it's the same competition?

As for the game being called off. Probably the most inconvenient incident of this type we've ever had occurred at that ground, on Christmas Day 1937 (which must have been a hellish trip all that way over Xmas in those days) when the match was abandoned in the 1st half due to thick fog.

In that 1980s five season stretch under Sirrel/Barnwell/Warnock, we played them 11 times, won 1, drew 1, lost 9 including a key home game in the Barnwell title race run-in and it was also a home loss against them the following season that got Barnwell sacked. The head to head hasn't been much better since. We've only won once there since 1960 and it was of course the ground we got relegated on in the last few minutes the last time we went. Lost 8 of the last 10 visits.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 19-10-2023 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Probably just me, but I'm a bit irritated by this, it's league game 5,170 as far as I'm concerned, but even if I was to accept it should just be EFL games that count, should play offs not be part of the equation as it's the same competition?

As for the game being called off. Probably the most inconvenient incident of this type we've ever had occurred at that ground, on Christmas Day 1937 (which must have been a hellish trip all that way over Xmas in those days) when the match was abandoned in the 1st half due to thick fog.

In that 1980s five season stretch under Sirrel/Barnwell/Warnock, we played them 11 times, won 1, drew 1, lost 9 including a key home game in the Barnwell title race run-in and it was also a home loss against them the following season that got Barnwell sacked. The head to head hasn't been much better since. We've only won once there since 1960 and it was of course the ground we got relegated on in the last few minutes the last time we went. Lost 8 of the last 10 visits.
    Regardless of your opinion and it is worth something let's just celebrate our history as we mark this game as a club that has certainly had its ups and downs over the years but has achieved a monumental milestone.

Can’t believe nobody asked LW for an injury update at the press conference!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast