+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts: Barnsley-v-Shrewsbury Town

Romared Match Thoughts: Barnsley-v-Shrewsbury Town

I've only just noticed that Shrewsbury have only scored 7 league goals this season (13 matches) yet have won 5 games. Must be a few 1-0 wins in there and may well suggest a defensive set up at Oakwell.

Despite being in 15th place they are only six points behind Barnsley in 3rd place in this bunched up league.

Having just beaten Derby 1-0 Shrewsbury should be in a relatively confident mood.

Neill and Jon will need all their tactical experience and nous to break down a team that sets up not to lose but, in doing so, does not score freely. An early goal for the Reds would change the whole game tactically.

# Go Well Neill and Jon's Men's Team

Always a tough game…

Not going to be one for the purists in my opinion , time to start putting that home form in order if we've any aspirations of a top two finish .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Not going to be one for the purists in my opinion , time to start putting that home form in order if we've any aspirations of a top two finish .
    Yes we definitely need to improve our home form but I don"t think anyone has any aspirations of getting in the top two , we have had the guts ripped out of the team & replaced them with prospects , they are all doing well & will improve but for me if we make the play offs again it will be a minor miracle .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Yes we definitely need to improve our home form but I don"t think anyone has any aspirations of getting in the top two , we have had the guts ripped out of the team & replaced them with prospects , they are all doing well & will improve but for me if we make the play offs again it will be a minor miracle .
    I have.
    And there should be no doubt about us getting into the top 2 with the talent in this squad.
    Had to smile when I saw Mael getting the Orient MOTM.
    It was only 2 or 3 weeks ago he’d been written off by a large slice of our supporters claiming he was a cheap nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I have.
    And there should be no doubt about us getting into the top 2 with the talent in this squad.
    It was only 2 or 3 weeks ago he’d been written off by a large slice of our supporters claiming he was a cheap nobody.
    Factually speaking he is a cheap league one defender , until proven otherwise when someone higher up the pyramid pays us lots of money for his signature .

Two pulls under Blackpool pier dunt mek thi Casanova .

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I have.
    Top 2 is possibly achievable for us because the overall standard in this division is a total embarrassment in all honesty. We haven't been that great ourselves have we? There's been a lot of change and trial and error yet we somehow sit 3rd in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Top 2 is possibly achievable for us because the overall standard in this division is a total embarrassment in all honesty. We haven't been that great ourselves have we? There's been a lot of change and trial and error yet we somehow sit 3rd in the league.
    There's been a lot of change and trial and error yet we somehow sit 3rd in the league.[/QUOTE]

Good summing up Pass - fix our home form whilst maintaining our away form and we could find this league easier to get out of than it was last season.

Our 3rd place is nowhere near established and consolidated at the moment.

If Exeter had scored a late goal rather than us in a fairly even game we would be alongside 8th placed Wycombe, who have a game in hand as well.

Fine margins at the moment.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 24-10-2023 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Our 3rd place is nowhere near established and consolidated at the moment.

If Exeter had scored a late goal rather than us in a fairly even game we would be alongside 8th placed Wycombe, who have a game in hand as well.

Fine margins at the moment.

Very true. Then again, it's just ifs and buts.

The 10 games, which is the criterion that you and others on here have alluded to many times over the years as a benchmark as to how the season could possibly pan out has come and gone.

We are now 13 games in. That's almost a third of the way through the season and we sit 3rd despite already having lost 4 home games. I've seen nothing in this league that is quality so far. We caved in against the side that is top of the league but Pompey weren't overly impressive to be honest. We did exactly the same to the side that lies 2nd in the league at Oakwell as well.

I don't think that we are a particularly good side ourselves at the moment SB. There's lots of improvements to be made, a lot of new faces to integrate into the team, a few decisions from the head coach that have to be made in order to find the consistency in terms of performances. Fortunately for us, we've given ourselves a platform with the points amassed so far.
    I'm not saying where we will end up come May, but this division is as poor as I've ever seen it and we surely can only improve.
    Last edited by pass_and_move; 24-10-2023 at 05:28 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast