+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Match ratings v Wrexham

This Nemane debate is interesting... my friend was watching as a neutral and he felt that we lost a lot when Nemane went off. His view was that his pace was giving Wrexham issues on the right, providing more space for Jones to operate (they put 2 or 3 men on both Nemane and Jones, but when Austin came on they could get away with only having 1 tied up on the right. He also was more of a threat, albeit he could have taken on his man more, especially as he was on a yellow. Our problem wasn't Nemane, it was not attacking the spaces in the centre that we created, but rather continuing to recycle from wing to wing.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    Langstaff is second top of the L2 goalscoring charts. He's spearheaded two promotions in two seasons and is on course for 30 goals this season. Below par or not he could still have had a couple yesterday.

I know it's a messageboard board for opinions but you gave Nemane 3.5 and called Cameron a moron in pre season. We're in the top three with a massively stretched squad and I just don't get your negativity and seeming joy at the chance to get the knives out.
    Macca's previously exploits or what he may or may not do this season have absolutely nothing to do with his performance against Wrexham. He's an excellent footballer but even the best players have off days and I was merely pointing that out with my rating of him. No player should be above criticism, especially the minute amount of criticism I afforded Macca.

I gave Nemane a 4 not a 3.5 and in hindsight that probably was too low. But I don't have a clue what you're talking about regarding Cameron, I've never called him a moron🤷*♂️

I think Nemane does OK. Their are times in a game that he looks a world beater and other times when he looks average at best. The perks of being a wide player I suppose.
    Would I like to see him run at his man more? Of course. Do I think that occasionally he and JJ could swap wings? Yup.
    Personally my biggest gripe when I watch Notts is how big the hole in the middle of the pitch becomes when we have the ball. There were instances on Saturday (and in many of the games we play) when the movement created so much space and a player made the run, only for the ball to go backwards. Surely, the way we play is to create these moments of space and disorganisation of our opponents. I think this is where we have missed Rodrigues.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I think Nemane does OK. Their are times in a game that he looks a world beater and other times when he looks average at best. The perks of being a wide player I suppose.
    Would I like to see him run at his man more? Of course. Do I think that occasionally he and JJ could swap wings? Yup.
    Personally my biggest gripe when I watch Notts is how big the hole in the middle of the pitch becomes when we have the ball. There were instances on Saturday (and in many of the games we play) when the movement created so much space and a player made the run, only for the ball to go backwards. Surely, the way we play is to create these moments of space and disorganisation of our opponents. I think this is where we have missed Rodrigues.
    This. Most attacking movement seems to come from either wing and the possesion always seems to go across and round the midfield to get to the wings. Why are we not using our possession to mix it up and attack through the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    This. Most attacking movement seems to come from either wing and the possesion always seems to go across and round the midfield to get to the wings. Why are we not using our possession to mix it up and attack through the middle?
    Totally agree, against Accrington we didn't get alot of success, we went central second half and battered them feeding Macca in between the centre halfs.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 30-10-2023 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code error

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    We thought exactly this. Sometimes there was acres of space in the centre crying for someone to attack it, but not doing so allowed their defence just to drift from side to side and not commit anybody to defending it, which in turn gave them numbers to double (or triple) up on Jones and Nemane, so forcing us to go back again.

We also looked reluctant to take a risk with a shot or two. That was a big difference between the sides, Wrexham were prepared to shoot and take a chance that something may happen, and in the end it did with the deflection. That opened the door for the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    We thought exactly this. Sometimes there was acres of space in the centre crying for someone to attack it, but not doing so allowed their defence just to drift from side to side and not commit anybody to defending it, which in turn gave them numbers to double (or triple) up on Jones and Nemane, so forcing us to go back again.

We also looked reluctant to take a risk with a shot or two. That was a big difference between the sides, Wrexham were prepared to shoot and take a chance that something may happen, and in the end it did with the deflection. That opened the door for the second.
    Same same.

As someone pointed out before, this is probably one area we miss from losing Ruben. Crowley doesn't tend to drive into the area with the ball. Didsy does, and Bostock more so than Palmer.

Would it require Macca to drop deeper to move the defence around, or more commitment from Crowley/Didsy/other to try something more central?

It will be interesting when Scott is fit again, to see where he plays. Also if Randall can take the LWB spot, we could have JJ move more centrally.

I thought we missed Ruben, probably for the first time. It was just crying out for one of his runs. I'm not sure Macca moving the defence around will help if nobody exploits the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySeaDog View Post
    Same same.

As someone pointed out before, this is probably one area we miss from losing Ruben. Crowley doesn't tend to drive into the area with the ball. Didsy does, and Bostock more so than Palmer.

Would it require Macca to drop deeper to move the defence around, or more commitment from Crowley/Didsy/other to try something more central?

It will be interesting when Scott is fit again, to see where he plays. Also if Randall can take the LWB spot, we could have JJ move more centrally.
    I’ve been a massive advocate that JJ should be more central when we can get him there when Randall’s fit and if he’s decent. That said I’m having a slight change of heart, JJ is frightening players out there now so he’s either that good and he’s becoming more accustomed to the position or maybe he’s as well suited out there as he is more centrally, either way what a player.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I’ve been a massive advocate that JJ should be more central when we can get him there when Randall’s fit and if he’s decent. That said I’m having a slight change of heart, JJ is frightening players out there now so he’s either that good and he’s becoming more accustomed to the position or maybe he’s as well suited out there as he is more centrally, either way what a player.
    I agree. What a player

It will be interesting to see what Randall brings to the team

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast