+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic alternatives to Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Given time pocket? A quarter thru season and already 5 points adrift of safety. We just cant afford anymore slip ups . He aint got time has he?

We will soon need play off form just to stay up. Scary int it?
    We’re always going to be a bottom 5 side in the championship.
    Talk of mid table is just delusional

Quote Originally Posted by millersrus View Post
    Can’t believe I’m replying to an obvious wind up.
    As I have…
    I’m certain no one would join as there is no position available and I hope there will be no position available as I want MT to succeed.
    I’ve mostly seen positive signs of improvement in the players and the style of play that is required for championship survival.
    I'm still a bit down after yesterday’s poor show however it’s time to get behind the manager and team and not lay the boot in.

UTM
    Can't believe I'm replying to an obvious wind-up! Taylor's win ratio is less than 20%. When are you expecting it to broach 30%, which looks necessary to beat relegation?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    Be a mistake appointing Wilder. He thinks he’s way too big for Rotherham and another one not for me. Too much of a climb down in his eyes to take on Rotherham. I can see why TS took on Taylor, young ambitious and had a track record in the lower leagues looking for his next steps up. Not sure there are many similars out there and asking a former Prem League manager to step down to Rotherham wouldn’t work out in my opinion.
    A very sensible post and the reasons why TS did what he did. If anyone would care to pull up the 'Welcome Matt Taylor' posts.....oh the fickleness

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    One of the reasons I'm not calling for him to go is because there is no obvious better alternative, so give him chance to turn it around. We were 8th in the Championship just over a year ago and the best manager we could attract was Matt Taylor. Why would we attract better managers now?

Warnock wouldn't come in my opinion, and he looks like going to QPR anyway. Plus that would just mean we had to start from scratch again in the summer when he retires for the 10th time. Going back is often not a good idea anyway, if we going to look at the past we may as well just get Ronnie back!

Rowett I imagine would probably think he can do better if he waits a bit.

Wilder? Again, would probably think he can do better but an ex player who lives local. He's been linked with a surprise return to Bramall lane however.

Nathan Jones possibly? but I don't think those who weren't a fan of Paul Warne and his emotions would be fans of Jones. He did well at Luton but looked on the verge of a breakdown at Stoke and Southampton.

I hate to say Ainsworth but I reckon that's the calibre we'd be looking at, and I'm not sure many of us want that.

I think Rotherham have generally done well with a 'character' in charge, Ronnie, Evans, Warnock, Warne, all very different characters but not your normal cliche spouting managers, and Evans aside all had a previous connection with the club. It was easier to get behind them. The more dour serious managers, Scott, Redfearn, Stubbs etc all failed. Robins was the only one in that mould to really do well but he also had a connection to the club as a player.

The grass isn't always greener.
    Cracking post!

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    We’re always going to be a bottom 5 side in the championship.
    Talk of mid table is just delusional
    Even if we get relegated so what.
    We cant sack every manager who can't keep us in the championship.
    Were favourites to go down every year for a reason
    Taylor needs to be judged in League 1 if need be. We need to build up from the bottom by developing our own players who are championship quality or sold on at profit
    Taylor did this with Exeter a non league/L2/D4 team now hopefully established as a mid table league 1 club.
    Hard graft and playing every game like a cup tie with average players doesn't keep us in the championship as we have shown in the past.
    Taylor (or any manager with the same long term plan) still gets my backing unless we're languishing bottom half League 1.

My alternative? It will never happen because of previous history but I'd have Steve Evans back solely because he delivers.

Yes some think he's a nasty man but, look at the results which is what he's paid to deliver and he never failed us.

Now back to reality! Matt Taylor has not gone yet so time to pack this which hunt in. When he's gone then debate his achievements or losses but not now......he's still in charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Milesaway View Post
    Taylor needs to be judged in League 1 if need be. We need to build up from the bottom by developing our own players who are championship quality or sold on at profit
    Taylor did this with Exeter a non league/L2/D4 team now hopefully established as a mid table league 1 club.
    Hard graft and playing every game like a cup tie with average players doesn't keep us in the championship as we have shown in the past.
    Taylor (or any manager with the same long term plan) still gets my backing unless we're languishing bottom half League 1.
    Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by Milesaway View Post
    Great post and let's not forget Warne was given the same opportunity. We are NOT a settled Championship club so enjoy this ride.

QPR announce the manager from Hammerby(Viktor home team) is taking over, bad timing for us?

I've not got high expectations at this level but we could have got recruitment alot better. Now we're into the season I can't think of many signings incl' loans free agents that's worked. Dext I'd say only one I can think of, Revan looks like he could be another. Nombe needs to be given chance to prove himself.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast