+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matter Joseph

Matter Joseph

Not sure if anyone has been following the u21s but young Matteo is starting to fill out and looks to have become a handful for defenders.

Hope he gets some first team game time soon

I think Joseph is a pure striker. One of the few we have in the system.

what probably has to be determined is whether he can get back on help on defense. For all of Bamford's faults he does do that exceptionally well. The problem is that we don't have enough players that can score. Summerville's emergence could dramatically change our season. We have a lot of the other pieces in place.

Agree Spaldy, very much a 'striker-forward' still.

A buddy in York went along to see Leeds u21's play Hertha in the recent Youth Euro match at the LNER Community Stadium in York (£6). He mentioned that in the game the kid played more of a disciplined central role, holding up the ball, laying it off with his back to the goal job, which would suggest he's still some way to go to learning 'all' his craft.

Those that seen him regularly all agree he does demonstrate great balance & is almost impossible to knock off the ball.
    But still needs to kerb his natural athletic enthusiasm when operating as the focal point of the attack.
    Playing in the withdrawn-striker role then all is well it would seem as he's one of the best in his age group.

But his natural goal scoring awareness can be useful off the first team bench saying all that, for sure, as we go throughout this season. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Not sure if anyone has been following the u21s but young Matteo is starting to fill out and looks to have become a handful for defenders.

Hope he gets some first team game time soon
    I noticed he looks physically impressive. I guess a season on loan would help him as he needs first team football and won't get much at Leeds at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer999 View Post
    I noticed he looks physically impressive. I guess a season on loan would help him as he needs first team football and won't get much at Leeds at the moment.
    And that will be the end of his time at Leeds. How many more class youngsters are we going to see develop in the U21s before being loaned out never to see 1st team football at the club that developed them (Hjelde, Cresswell, Gelhardt etc)?

If he can't get first team football now, what exactly is going to change in a season long loan period (except to see more newcomers signed during subsequent transfer windows)?
    Last edited by WTF11; 31-10-2023 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    And that will be the end of his time at Leeds. How many more class youngsters are we going to see develop in the U21s before being loaned out never to see 1st team football at the club that developed them (Hjelde, Cresswell, Gelhardt etc)?

If he can't get first team football now, what exactly is going to change in a season long loan period (except to see more newcomers signed during subsequent transfer windows)?
    Managers rarely put youngsters in when they have seasoned pros. In theory Joseph would go on loan and perform very well. That may make the manager think he is in the first team squad and a realistic chance of some action. Although it may be injury etc that provides the opportunity.
    I wouldn't have him in front of the current strikers now and I can understand the manager not taking the risk.

Managers rarely put youngsters in when they have seasoned pros. In theory Joseph would go on loan and perform very well. That may make the manager think he is in the first team squad and a realistic chance of some action. Although it may be injury etc that provides the opportunity.
    I wouldn't have him in front of the current strikers now and I can understand the manager not taking the risk.
    "Current strikers"? I'll grant you that Summerville has been sparkling thus far, but "strikers" (plural)? Our goals have come from a variety of sources (no bad thing IMHO) but Joseph would seem to warrant at least a place on the bench and some 1st team game time as impact sub to show if he is indeed "ready", rather than being sent out on loan to Peterborough or Yeovil or some other arse-end nonentity.
    Last edited by WTF11; 31-10-2023 at 11:26 PM.

"Current strikers"? I'll grant you that Summerville has been sparkling thus far, but "strikers" (plural)? Our goals have come from a variety of sources (no bad thing IMHO) but Joseph would seem to warrant at least a place on the bench and some 1st team game time as impact sub to show if he is indeed "ready", rather than being sent out on loan to Peterborough or Yeovil or some other arse-end nonentity.
    Piroe?

I understand your opinion. The reply I gave is based on normality in professional football. I happen to agree with Farkes selections so far but my point is that he won't throw an untried youngster in when things are going quite well for us.
    My point about a loan is that first team football is better than reserves. I would hope he would get a better club than the ones you mention whether that be domestically or abroad.

I understand your opinion. The reply I gave is based on normality in professional football. I happen to agree with Farkes selections so far but my point is that he won't throw an untried youngster in when things are going quite well for us.
    My point about a loan is that first team football is better than reserves. I would hope he would get a better club than the ones you mention whether that be domestically or abroad.
    Maybe 4 nil up is a good time to blood youngsters without too much pressure?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)