+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More Ownership Share Activity at BFC

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Are you saying that players plucked from non league are already quality players who are the finished article & do not need developing & coaching to help them step up to a higher level ? Are you saying that every player who has been sold was offered a new contract ? Are you saying the club do not have history for selling players . We have consistently sold players when we have been in a position to kick on, FGS give the fans some credit , we don"t all walk about with our eyes closed .
    Quality - yes.
    Finished article - no
    Every player sold (current) offered a contract - probably yes
    Every player sold (historically) offered a contract - no
    History of selling players - yes - but that’s history and not current

As for giving some of the fans some credit - I find it amazing that some fans are still finding it so difficult to separate out the different owners we have had at the club.

Just to reiterate …
    John Dennis
    Pete Doyle
    Patrick Cryne
    Chien Lee (Paul Conway)
    …… are NO longer running the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Quality - yes.
    Finished article - no
    If the players were "quality" when they arrive we wouldn't be able to afford them. The quality young players have been on the books of the bigger clubs from being at school level.

Most young players who have worked their way to Academy/ U21's at clubs or play at National League have been seen by someone who judges them to have POTENTIAL to become a quality player capable of playing at a higher level.

We no longer buy "quality ready players" such as Craig Hignett. We are the Crewe who developed Hignett's potential and then sold him on to Boro. Sadly most players we recruit or promote from within never make it to the "quality" levels of football.

We fish in the free agent, token cost, non league level hoping to see and recruit potential than can be developed into enough quality to attract a bid.

(Please don't patronise posters on here suggesting we do not know who our owners have been. It doesn't go down well)
    Last edited by SBRed48; 01-11-2023 at 11:14 AM.

By the way the so called Chein Lee(Paul Conway) ownership was a Consortium Ownership with Co-Chairman Lee who held the most shares, but less than 50%, and Conway who was made Co-Chairman by the New York Investor Group, who held the balance of power of share ownership and was their representative at Barnsley.

Quality - yes.
    Finished article - no
    Every player sold (current) offered a contract - probably yes
    Every player sold (historically) offered a contract - no
    History of selling players - yes - but that’s history and not current

As for giving some of the fans some credit - I find it amazing that some fans are still finding it so difficult to separate out the different owners we have had at the club.

Just to reiterate …
    John Dennis
    Pete Doyle
    Patrick Cryne
    Chien Lee (Paul Conway)
    …… are NO longer running the club.
    Nudger please do not insult my intelligence , having watched & supported the Reds since 1961 I think I have a fair knowledge of our owners past & present , I have basically seen it all ,past & present with all the highs & lows that supporting a team for 62 years bring , you say history of selling players is in the past & not the present , well considering we have just sold Anderson & Kitchen how much more current can you get ? , they were sold in the last window with others also in the not so recent past , if you think I get pleasure out of my comments then you are wrong , I am in the " happy Clapper " band of fans but I try not to look through red & white glasses & just say it as I see it , just a footnote regarding players contracts , you are guessing , you like the rest of us only know what we read & is as sure as eggs are eggs we do not get told everything about a players contract situation past or present.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    If the players were "quality" when they arrive we wouldn't be able to afford them. The quality young players have been on the books of the bigger clubs from being at school level.

Most young players who have worked their way to Academy/ U21's at clubs or play at National League have been seen by someone who judges them to have POTENTIAL to become a quality player capable of playing at a higher level.

We no longer buy "quality ready players" such as Craig Hignett. We are the Crewe who developed Hignett's potential and then sold him on to Boro. Sadly most players we recruit or promote from within never make it to the "quality" levels of football.

We fish in the free agent, token cost, non league level hoping to see and recruit potential than can be developed into enough quality to attract a bid.

(Please don't patronise posters on here suggesting we do not know who our owners have been. It doesn't go down well)
    Yes - the skill is in finding the quality, the potential gems amongst 100s if not 1000s of young players.
    We are fortunate at Barnsley to have someone that’s brilliant at it.

But even at identifying young players there are tiers within that.
    There are young players with potential out there that can cost.
    We had a glimpse of that with Conways ‘best transfer window ever’.
    When he blew a load of money - for little return.

I don’t think it’s patronising to point out that it is totally unfair to lay the blame for anything that has gone on in the past at the door of the present owners.
    The history of these owners began at the beginning of last season.
    That’s the starting point - any decision before then was not the decision of the present owners.

I don’t think it’s patronising to point out that it is totally unfair to lay the blame for anything that has gone on in the past at the door of the present owners.
    The history of these owners began at the beginning of last season.
    That’s the starting point - any decision before then was not the decision of the present owners.
    The Crynes became owners in 2003 and joined the new Consortium in 2017

Parekh has been a member of the Consortium owners since 2017. He has not made clear his motives for joining the money orientated Consortium at that time. He agreed that his share of a "Director's Bonus" could be taken from Club Accounts to pay the first instalment of the purchase price. He could have refused his share being used or paid it back later but there is no record of this happening.

JAQ has been, with husband Edmonds, a member of the New York Investor Group which made Conway their representative in 2017 and failed to monitor Conway's activities for four years. The EFL Investigation relates in large part to the individual members of this Investor Group not being fully disclosed at the time of the Consortium takeover and control of the club being handed to Conway to look after their interests. They made Conway Co-Chairman giving him control without anyone fully disclosing who the individuals in this Investor Group were, which is a breach of EFL rules.
    Cryne and Parekh were not sufficiently observant to monitor what was happening in their name.

The "new" sparkling clean Board of owners came about in 2022 because the Investor Group eventually realised Conway was trashing their investment and switched sides to join Parekh and Cryne. It was the Investor Group decision to switch sides that brought about the fall of Conway.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 02-11-2023 at 07:42 AM.

SB
    Let’s go through those points.

1) Neerav has not made clear his motives.
    All I can say to that is you need to listen to what people say.
    He has explained his motives on a few occasions.

2) The JAQ group didn’t monitor what Conway was up to ?
    Where have you read that ?
    There is no evidence of that.
    Conway was under contract to manage their shares - and when that contract expired they jumped ship and joined the Crynes and Neerav.
    So on the contrary - they knew exactly what Conway was doing.

3) The board made Conway Co-chair.
    As Chien Lee and Paul Conway had the majority voting rights they could call themselves whatever they wanted to.
    And as they controlled the club - they could tell the EFL whatever they wanted to.

Note.
    Having minority shares (eg Crynes and Neerav) may have given them a voice - but that voice doesn’t mean to say they were listened to.

4) New sparkling clean board.
    No it’s not that - but it is a new sparkling clean majority share ownership and direction.

What is that direction Nudger?

Same as before, sell anything saleable and replace them with cheaper unproven replacements?

SB
    Let’s go through those points.

1) Neerav has not made clear his motives.
    All I can say to that is you need to listen to what people say.
    He has explained his motives on a few occasions.

2) The JAQ group didn’t monitor what Conway was up to ?
    Where have you read that ?
    There is no evidence of that.
    Conway was under contract to manage their shares - and when that contract expired they jumped ship and joined the Crynes and Neerav.
    So on the contrary - they knew exactly what Conway was doing.

3) The board made Conway Co-chair.
    As Chien Lee and Paul Conway had the majority voting rights they could call themselves whatever they wanted to.
    And as they controlled the club - they could tell the EFL whatever they wanted to.

Note.
    Having minority shares (eg Crynes and Neerav) may have given them a voice - but that voice doesn’t mean to say they were listened to.

4) New sparkling clean board.
    No it’s not that - but it is a new sparkling clean majority share ownership and direction.
    1) Just remind me again what Parekh said when he joined the Consortium because I cannot recall any words from him until he became Chairman in 2022

2) US Financial law allows the removal of any contracted employee if they are not completing their duties adequately or causing the group financial losses. You surely are not claiming that the three/ four Financially savvy Hedge Fund managers that comprised The Investor Group were powerless to remove Conway at any time in those four years.. They left him to it--a minor part of their investment portfolio--and they only acted when a likely second relegation looked like costing them money. Hedge Funds exist to make money for the investors.

3) The Investor Group were a major part of the Board. I haven't got the exact percentages to hand but Lee had the largest percentage of shares and was made Co-Chairman. The Investor Groups percentage of shares was needed alongside Lee for overall control so Conway, the representative of the Investor Group, was made Co-Chairman by the Group to act in their interests. Conway himself held very few shares.

When you read the EFL Investigation findings you will find it all explained--How was it that a man with few shares, Conway, was in control as the active Co-Chairman and was put in place by Hedge Fund groups whose names were not fully disclosed ? All against EFL rules

Note They had a voice and if they knew rules were being broken they could have resigned and spoken out rather than waiting so long until now to report to the EFL what was going on and initiate a retrospective investigation when it is all too late as the Investor Group has now disbanded leaving only JAQ remaining and Lee and Conway as minor shareholders probably on their way out anyway.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 02-11-2023 at 01:01 PM.

1) Wait for him to repeat it.
    It was only a few months ago he was on stage at the club explaining why he got involved.

2) According to reports Conway had a contract for 4 years.
    If those in charge at the time are trying to pay off the previous owner by money (£750k) generated by the club then I’m sure if the other share holders could have stopped him then they would.

3) In hindsight - the previous owners were good at pulling the wool over peoples eyes.
    As Jean Cryne said - we didn’t like how they were doing things.
    And for me that says it all - as Jean is carrying the torch for her husband - who we all agree had his heart in the club - so if Jean says that she didn’t like how the previous lot were doing things - and importantly she is willing to throw in with JAQ and Neerav.
    THEN ALLS FINE BY ME.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast