+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Past pubs and custodians and patrons in rotherham

Past pubs and custodians and patrons in rotherham

Just seen this article courtesy of the star,some old and current famous names and pubs…

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/rothe...ghties-4390934

Thanks for this some cracking memories.

Can someone tell me what the original name of the pub is that is closest to Rotherham Bus Station on Frederick Street.

It is now called The Plough but I recall it named something else back in the 70's/80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Can someone tell me what the original name of the pub is that is closest to Rotherham Bus Station on Frederick Street.

It is now called The Plough but I recall it named something else back in the 70's/80's.
    Used to hear “the little eff”…presume effingham arms..

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

I was born in the 80s so don’t know about before then but wasn’t it called The Effingham before The Plough?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    Used to hear “the little eff”…presume effingham arms..
    Cheers clarkey, I said that to someone the other day that I thought it was the same name as another well known pub of the same name in the town but couldn't for the like of me recall it.

Brin, it was the big Effingham, there was another Effingham near to the junction of Wortley rd and Bradgate rd. The Little Eff was renamed the Kingfisher, which is now no more.
    Was the Droppingwell an Effingham aswell before it was re-branded? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    Was the Droppingwell an Effingham aswell before it was re-branded? I think so.
    It was.

I remember Joe at the charters and also Chris at the tabard who was at the charters before Joe.

Years since I was back in Rotherham
    Charters doest exist anymore that right?
    How about mail coach, tut n shive and crofts?

The Clifton Hotel was a great watering hole in The 70s' and 80s'. Run by Mr(can't recall his first name) Skelton.
    Two successful pub teams, Rovers and Hotel. Also a favourite meeting place for the great 80/81Millers. Sunday nights were buzzing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast