+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Past pubs and custodians and patrons in rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    Brin, it was the big Effingham, there was another Effingham near to the junction of Wortley rd and Bradgate rd. The Little Eff was renamed the Kingfisher, which is now no more.
    Was the Droppingwell an Effingham aswell before it was re-branded? I think so.
    When I was growing up the 4 Effingham Arms were known as follows:

Droppingwell Effingham - "Top Eff"

Bradgate Effingham - "Little Eff"

Kingfisher "Town Eff"

Bus Station - "Big Eff"

Quote Originally Posted by Milesaway View Post
    I remember Joe at the charters and also Chris at the tabard who was at the charters before Joe.

Years since I was back in Rotherham
    Charters doest exist anymore that right?
    How about mail coach, tut n shive and crofts?
    Charters closed as a pub about 10 years ago,college took it over as an education hub.and it wasn’t flattened altogether last year along with citizen”s advice block..ready for new market realm..

Mail coach still alive,crofts is still there as a cocktail bar called George Wright but bit of open and closing not sure what’s happening at minute ….tut m shive..long gone…

Turf used to go in alot just past there was back door into corals bookies used to frequent that alot as well! Dickins weekend nights used to go in pennine bitter liked great rock music in there as well. Monday afternoon when I was on nights used to do tour of Turf County Borough Red Lion Falstaff.

Always liked to pop in the cleaver, a real old throw back pub. Union used to have its meetings upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocksgloves1 View Post
    The Clifton Hotel was a great watering hole in The 70s' and 80s'. Run by Mr(can't recall his first name) Skelton.
    Two successful pub teams, Rovers and Hotel. Also a favourite meeting place for the great 80/81Millers. Sunday nights were buzzing.
    That would be Wilf Skelton mate. I lived next door to him for a while. A right character.

Nicknamed Rigsby, because of his likeness to Leonard Rossiter.

The Richardsons used to run the Grapes in Dalton. I was in the same class as their oldest son and we knocked about together.

My mothers uncle and aunt used to run the Crinoline then moved to the Lion near Millmoor. Both have passed now

I first started boozing at the Cavalier in Ravenfield. A couple called Colin and I think Rita (?) or summat. Grumpy, dry old bugger but seemed to look after the locals well back in the day. Anyone meet them?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    Charters closed as a pub about 10 years ago,college took it over as an education hub.and it wasn’t flattened altogether last year along with citizen”s advice block..ready for new market realm..

Mail coach still alive,crofts is still there as a cocktail bar called George Wright but bit of open and closing not sure what’s happening at minute ….tut m shive..long gone…
    George Wright been bought by Consort
    https://www.facebook.com/10007608951...33945/?app=fbl

In the 80a ot used to be. East dean club then In to town via cat n cabbage on Carlisle Street

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast