+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Connor Lemon-heigh Evans could return.

Gutted to have lost Matty. If anyone was in any doubt to his importance to this team I’m afraid we’re now going to find out. Absolutely instrumental to how we play and is literally the last player we could afford to lose.

Not sure how we’ll pull ourselves out of this one. As much as I like them, JOB and Austin aren’t going strike any fear into any L2 midfields.
    I agree with the last sentence to an extent but if there's two players who would run until they pass out in a shirt it's them two. It's a huge ask for them to step up to the level that Palmer and Bostock can play at - I'd be tempted especially away from home to switch to a more compact 4-4-2 with O'Brien and Austin essentially playing the Ravenhill / Bishop roles and just giving it to Jones or Nemane and going a bit more direct.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    I agree with the last sentence to an extent but if there's two players who would run until they pass out in a shirt it's them two. It's a huge ask for them to step up to the level that Palmer and Bostock can play at - I'd be tempted especially away from home to switch to a more compact 4-4-2 with O'Brien and Austin essentially playing the Ravenhill / Bishop roles and just giving it to Jones or Nemane and going a bit more direct.
    I’m sure LW won’t change shape. The players have had it drilled into them for 18 months. Picking up injuries/suspensions is part n parcel of football.
    The thing with how Palmer plays is that a lot of what he does goes unnoticed. He isn’t one for bombing around the pitch or smashing in to tackles but a disciplined holding midfielder. Could Didzy play the pivot? Could Baldwin do it? All this is assuming that Bostock is still injured, otherwise he’s the man.

Gutted to have lost Matty. If anyone was in any doubt to his importance to this team I’m afraid we’re now going to find out. Absolutely instrumental to how we play and is literally the last player we could afford to lose.

I agree. Although his injury must be the worst kept secret ever!
    Matty is the ‘engine room’ for Notts and our most consistent player, week in, week out.
    I can only wish him all the best with his recovery and hope to see him in a Notts County shirt very soon.
    Meantime, I trust the owners and the head coach to find a solution to our dilemma 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I’m sure LW won’t change shape. The players have had it drilled into them for 18 months. Picking up injuries/suspensions is part n parcel of football.
    The thing with how Palmer plays is that a lot of what he does goes unnoticed. He isn’t one for bombing around the pitch or smashing in to tackles but a disciplined holding midfielder. Could Didzy play the pivot? Could Baldwin do it? All this is assuming that Bostock is still injured, otherwise he’s the man.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Ollie Tipton given a go in the defensive midfield role tomorrow if Wolves allow him to play. I seem to remember reading that he has played in midfield before.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    There is always someone i.e. Austin who will rise to the occasion and excel in Palmers place..
    Hopefully that's true, and sometimes that's what happens. You don't always know what talent you've got in reserve until the 'main man' gets injured and opportunity knocks.

That said, Notts fans will have an important job to do in the coming weeks. We've got to be realistic about our own expectations in terms of results and performances in light of what are now some quite significant injury problems. We've basically had 18 months to two years of almost non-stop good results and quality performances, and if we - understandably - have a bit of a wobble between now and the transfer window, it needs fans to keep calm and appreciate the reasons, which in turn will help the players to battle through this. We might have to take a couple of steps back before we can start to move forward again.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Ollie Tipton given a go in the defensive midfield role tomorrow if Wolves allow him to play. I seem to remember reading that he has played in midfield before.
    Could be an option but with all respect to Tipton, Palmer basically epitomises the Notts County system at the minute. I don’t even think Bostock can do what he does. Granted, he is better at other things, but is easier replaced than Matty is as he is more conventional so to speak.

Losing Palmer is, in my footballing world, my worst nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Sensible statement from the club leadership as usual, recognising the need to bring in reinforcements but taking their time to identify the right ones, while also showing that they trust other players to be versatile enough to do a job in the meantime.

Everything the club says these days oozes calmness and careful consideration. There's never any panic, 'must-win' games, 'promotion or bust' rhetoric, 'five-year plans', or silly arguments with fans on message boards. The owners manage to steer clear of all the hyperbole and drama in social media and apparently have no desire whatsoever to be part of the 'show'. They leave the stage to the Head Coach and the players, and they yet still say enough to reassure fans at significant moments. It all feels so strategic and professional.
    I agree totally with your very sensible comments, and find the statement from the club very reassuring. Let’s remember where we have been, and that we are on a long journey.

Could Macari cover the defensive midfield position?

Probably our worst scenario losing Matty for the season.
    The club is, as is now usual, very calm and organised.
    Ollie Tipton, I believe, can also play defensive midfield.
    In the short term this may be an option but I think we can trust LW and the club to dig us out of this crisis but they are big boots to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Could Macari cover the defensive midfield position?
    Possibly. I think we've got two or three "centre-halves" now who are good enough footballers to move further forward if needed. In fact, my biggest concern about some of them has been whether they're really defenders a all, in terms of natural defensive instincts.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast