+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In and Around

Err am I missing summat here lol, what is this thread meant to be about.. exactly ?. 😀

It was a sombre start to proceedings today as the flame throwers were sadly absent. Had they been double booked with a monster truck rally? Has SYP deemed them a possible blockage for the Beevor Court emergency access? Could no one be bothered to set them up? We may never know (but I know which option my money's on). I'm sure they'll be back on Tuesday though as they were popular, and if there are two things Barnsley Football Club is known for, it's innovative thinking and pleasing the fans.

The pre match flags were all present and correct today... well, all except one. As the flag men were putting them all on the pitch they realised that the big flag was in too much of a state of disrepair. Sometimes in life unforeseen circumstances come your way and this was one of them. There is no way that anyone from the Oakwell Entertainment Team could have noticed that the flags have become tattier and tattier as the season has progressed and so they should be absolved of any blame that won't come their way.
    Unfortunately the broken flag had to spend the game behind the malfunctioning advertising board that occasionally shone brighter than a thousand suns and cured Seasonal Affective Disorder in seconds.

The half time entertainment was a classic today. Instead of six year olds trying to hit the crossbar from a mile away, Youtube takeaway eating sensations, men wearing inflatable suits whilst on the sauce or The Cone Game, we got an awards ceremony. 'The EFL Community... Something award, to give it it's full title. The smiley old couple who sit at the front of the supporters bus and diligently tick off fans names as they board were one winner for their commitment to travelling the country listening to bus drivers rant about the world in general. Other equally worthy winners were The Family, for their commitment to attending three quarters of the home games, devising riveting half time entertainment and managing to look to fully engaged and personable throughout. Obviously this award was voted for by EFL officials who recognised The Family's dedication to their craft and not someone who is their mate behind the scenes at Oakwell
    Sadly though there must have been some discontent within The Family, as upon receiving their award they all went their separate ways. Wife tidied up the mini flags, Husband walked the length of the West Stand on the phone to his agent, while Son sullenly took his Milk Tray back to his seat. This bad feeling started on Thursday when Wife put smoky bacon crisps in Son's lunch box for college. According to Son, she KNOWS he doesn't like smoky bacon and he hasn't been able to let it go since. Hopefully the frosty atmosphere will have dissipated by the next home game.

Hurrah! The flame throwers were back - just in time for an action packed first half where they were used a grand total of once, for an innocuous free kick 35 yards from goal.

The flag fixing fairies haven't visited Oakwell since Saturday (surely the only possible way they can ever be fixed) and so flag man had to put the same tatty flags out once more. At one point he even swapped one broken flag for another slightly less broken flag. I'm sure the Oakwell Entertainment Team will get right on it though... If ever Iron Maiden want to recreate their The Trooper album cover, I can point them in the right direction.

Fresh from winning the EFL community award for services and loyalty to Barnsley Football Club, The Family decided to take the night off. Instead, they had a few nibbles (M&S obviously) and invited round the ball boys and Liam Roberts (yes the Barnsley goalkeeper tonight wore a 'Roberts' shirt, but that wasn't the Liam Roberts who I watch every other week). Thankfully the ball boys weren't needed at Oakwell tonight as we chased the game and the kitman had to fill the role in front of the East Stand for the last twenty minutes.

Our half time entertainment today consisted of Match Day Announcer interviewing Donovan Pines - a player given so much publicity over the past week that if he isn't immediately John Stonesesque, I'll be quite frankly disappointed.
    "I bet you're not used to this cold weather in Maryland" Match Day Announcer began. How right he was - it's seven degrees colder in Maryland than it is here right now. Great first impression. The rest of the interview was as crystal clear as ever with our outstanding sound system picking up every word Stonesy.. erm, Pines spoke.

With the transfer deadline fast approaching, the flamethrowers were rested today. Rumour has it that they are in talks with Sunderland but Neil Collins refused to comment on speculation.

Thankfully the flags passed a match day fitness test and were all present and correct. No doubt they'll be getting rolled up and put back in a shed even as I type. Someone, somewhere, deep within Oakwell would have had the idea of producing these flags, signed off on the designs and instructed the Match Day Entertainment Team on how they should be utilised. How proud he or she must feel, week after week, to see them secured tightly to the pristine poles. In no way will he or she be stunned at the lack of pride or work ethic to keep the flags from falling apart.

Full marks to Husband and Wife from the EFL Community Award winning The Family today. With Son staying at home awaiting an update to Roblox, Wife did a stellar job collecting loose football by herself. Resplendent in clothing totally fit for purpose, she moved around with the same urgency and haste as the first half Barnsley midfield - I can offer no higher praise than that! At one point she even took her hands out of her pockets to adjust her totally necessary handbag.
    Can I also be the first to congratulate the Superbowl team on their outstanding effort during the Cone Game too. It's convinced me that I should try their services, as the body language of each person (particularly the last one) indicates that the customer experience will be second to none.

It was nice to see the electronic advertising become 'one of our own' today too. One game of blocking views, one game okay, and then not working properly on the third game. No doubt we will be told we can't fix it because it's now obsolete, just like the giant scoreboard.

It's a big 'Well Done' from me to everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by 404 error View Post
    With the transfer deadline fast approaching, the flamethrowers were rested today. Rumour has it that they are in talks with Sunderland but Neil Collins refused to comment on speculation.

Thankfully the flags passed a match day fitness test and were all present and correct. No doubt they'll be getting rolled up and put back in a shed even as I type. Someone, somewhere, deep within Oakwell would have had the idea of producing these flags, signed off on the designs and instructed the Match Day Entertainment Team on how they should be utilised. How proud he or she must feel, week after week, to see them secured tightly to the pristine poles. In no way will he or she be stunned at the lack of pride or work ethic to keep the flags from falling apart.

Full marks to Husband and Wife from the EFL Community Award winning The Family today. With Son staying at home awaiting an update to Roblox, Wife did a stellar job collecting loose football by herself. Resplendent in clothing totally fit for purpose, she moved around with the same urgency and haste as the first half Barnsley midfield - I can offer no higher praise than that! At one point she even took her hands out of her pockets to adjust her totally necessary handbag.
    Can I also be the first to congratulate the Superbowl team on their outstanding effort during the Cone Game too. It's convinced me that I should try their services, as the body language of each person (particularly the last one) indicates that the customer experience will be second to none.

It was nice to see the electronic advertising become 'one of our own' today too. One game of blocking views, one game okay, and then not working properly on the third game. No doubt we will be told we can't fix it because it's now obsolete, just like the giant scoreboard.

It's a big 'Well Done' from me to everyone involved.
    Great summary

When the Council Rent Man does his weekly round to collect the rent he may have a few bob to spare to mend the kid's flags that are looking a bit tatty.

Congratulations are in order for the Match Day Entertainment team! Today, the man who hands out the flags now instructs the children on how to wave them. "This one doesn't have a stick to hold it up, so just grasp it with two hands and move around a bit" "Even though this one is hanging on by a thread, it's not fallen off yet so be confident" "Ignore the ribbon hanging off the stick" and "Two of you can hold this one because otherwise it's upside down". If only there was some way of solving this problem. Perhaps scientists in the distant future will work it out and we'll have flags waving on sticks again. Fingers crossed.

I'm getting worried about The Character. Apart from a bit of synchronised clapping with the acolytes that surround him, he was subdued again. The pitch invader stealing his thunder during the taking off of his shirt ceremony a few weeks ago seems to have really knocked his confidence. A last gasp attempt to garner attention by running to the front after the winning goal didn't work either. Hopefully he'll pull through this drought and be singing about Leeds scum or Wednesday getting battered again shortly.

Where to start with The Family! There they were pre game, cones in hand, handbag present and correct, sullen members of the public awaiting their chance to prove they can't kick a ball, when it happened... Up walked Jean Cryne with her tape measure.
    I don't know all the ins and outs, but it appears that Wife's coat only barely covered her calves - a clear case of potential flirting if ever there was one. Who knows what mayhem would ensue if a member of the playing staff caught sight of her! (Actually this might explain Jordan Williams' performances in recent weeks)
    Thankfully a group of children took some penalties instead. With only one child crying at the end, this has to be considered a success. Number seven took the best penalty if you ask me.

20th July 1969. Man lands on the moon.
    9th November 1989. The Berlin Wall comes down.
    24th February 2024. The flags at Oakwell are fixed. (Not fully fixed obviously. The large flag near the West Stand was bent double on it's pole, but I'll take it). May I take a moment to praise the Entertainment Team for their quick thinking in solving this difficult problem.

With the community award winning The Family spending the afternoon searching for a new washing machine at Curry's, it was up to a couple of dozen seven year olds to entertain us at half time. They did this by firing penalties high and wide of the goal, but with the goalkeeper putting so much effort in it would have been a challenge for them to score even if their shots had been on target.

Imagine having a favourite auntie who used to live near you. You used to see her every week when she came to visit and you loved her because she'd do everything she could to make you happy. Looking back you realise that she provided some of the happiest moments of your childhood. However, one fateful day you found out that she was moving away from the area and even though it broke your heart you were happy for her that she could follow her dreams. Parting was painful for both of you, but through your tears you wished her the best in her new life. In subsequent years she would always talk fondly of you and it was obvious she still cared.
    What would your reaction be if she came back to visit? Obviously the correct answer would be to stand at your garden gate as she came down the street and boo her.
    Likewise when Conor Hourihane came to Oakwell this afternoon it was so pleasing to see the deep thinking fans boo him and sing derogatory songs. Along with Adam Hammill the key player in turning around our fortunes in 2016? Booooo! Two games at Wembley? Boooo! The only player we've ever seen lift a trophy at Wembley for us and he did it twice? Booooo boooooo boooooooooooo! I'd be interested to hear why fans booed him personally. I mean there's lots of reasons obviously, but what in particular was it today?

Quote Originally Posted by 404 error View Post
    20th July 1969. Man lands on the moon.
    9th November 1989. The Berlin Wall comes down.
    24th February 2024. The flags at Oakwell are fixed. (Not fully fixed obviously. The large flag near the West Stand was bent double on it's pole, but I'll take it). May I take a moment to praise the Entertainment Team for their quick thinking in solving this difficult problem.

With the community award winning The Family spending the afternoon searching for a new washing machine at Curry's, it was up to a couple of dozen seven year olds to entertain us at half time. They did this by firing penalties high and wide of the goal, but with the goalkeeper putting so much effort in it would have been a challenge for them to score even if their shots had been on target.

Imagine having a favourite auntie who used to live near you. You used to see her every week when she came to visit and you loved her because she'd do everything she could to make you happy. Looking back you realise that she provided some of the happiest moments of your childhood. However, one fateful day you found out that she was moving away from the area and even though it broke your heart you were happy for her that she could follow her dreams. Parting was painful for both of you, but through your tears you wished her the best in her new life. In subsequent years she would always talk fondly of you and it was obvious she still cared.
    What would your reaction be if she came back to visit? Obviously the correct answer would be to stand at your garden gate as she came down the street and boo her.
    Likewise when Conor Hourihane came to Oakwell this afternoon it was so pleasing to see the deep thinking fans boo him and sing derogatory songs. Along with Adam Hammill the key player in turning around our fortunes in 2016? Booooo! Two games at Wembley? Boooo! The only player we've ever seen lift a trophy at Wembley for us and he did it twice? Booooo boooooo boooooooooooo! I'd be interested to hear why fans booed him personally. I mean there's lots of reasons obviously, but what in particular was it today?
    He wasnt our player today. No time for semtiment this season. Welcome back any time…. Just not when hes playing against us. I’m very thankful for the success he gave us…… but today, he was the enemy.
    He lifted the trophy, he didn’t t win it on his own.

I and a lot of others on the right side of the ponty stood and applauded Conor when he was subbed, he deserved that much.
    I remember him saying when he left he would always be a reds fan, and whilst playing for Villa he returned a couple of times to watch us as well.
    Once a red always a red……………..personally I think he will manage us one day?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast