+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: League Two Notts memories 2004-2009

League Two Notts memories 2004-2009

A bit of a weird thread, but I remember very little about supporting Notts up until our League Two Munto promotion. I do however have two very specific Notts memories pre 2009; my first ever away game which was a 5-1 defeat at Rushden and Diamonds, and a 2-2 draw at Darlington which the late Richard Butcher scored both our goals. Anyone else got any Notts memories from this time period?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexl0908 View Post
    A bit of a weird thread, but I remember very little about supporting Notts up until our League Two Munto promotion. I do however have two very specific Notts memories pre 2009; my first ever away game which was a 5-1 defeat at Rushden and Diamonds, and a 2-2 draw at Darlington which the late Richard Butcher scored both our goals. Anyone else got any Notts memories from this time period?
    A little bit of the Darlo match on this tribute to Butch.

That whole period is summed up for me by McP's interview in which he said that we were "5 years behind Rochdale". It turned out that we went up together, but my god that was a low point. My first 15 years watching Notts we were always at least a level above Rochdale, sometimes 3. First 22 years we were only in the same division for one season (the one we went up as champs under Big Sam), so to hear McP say that absolutely crushed my spirit and hope.

I'm currently in the process of expanding my database of players into and beyond the admin period and I barely recognise a quarter of the player's names. Things got worse of course in the late 2010s but at least the soap opera was mildly entertaining as a distraction from the endless defeats. The mid-late 2000s was not only awful but there was a sense that the Trust would never relinquish control and we were stuck with them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    That whole period is summed up for me by McP's interview in which he said that we were "5 years behind Rochdale". It turned out that we went up together, but my god that was a low point. My first 15 years watching Notts we were always at least a level above Rochdale, sometimes 3. First 22 years we were only in the same division for one season (the one we went up as champs under Big Sam), so to hear McP say that absolutely crushed my spirit and hope.

I'm currently in the process of expanding my database of players into and beyond the admin period and I barely recognise a quarter of the player's names. Things got worse of course in the late 2010s but at least the soap opera was mildly entertaining as a distraction from the endless defeats. The mid-late 2000s was not only awful but there was a sense that the Trust would never relinquish control and we were stuck with them forever.
    Interesting points, I wonder what would have happened if Notts had dropped out of the football league in 2008 when Mansfield and Wrexham went down. I can’t imagine Notts spending 15 years in National League like Wrexham

I have some memories of the managers like McParland, Steve “998” Thompson and Gudjon. The 998 quote is infamous in the same way as Delroy Chasey faces the ball

Interesting points, I wonder what would have happened if Notts had dropped out of the football league in 2008 when Mansfield and Wrexham went down. I can’t imagine Notts spending 15 years in National League like Wrexham

I have some memories of the managers like McParland, Steve “998” Thompson and Gudjon. The 998 quote is infamous in the same way as Delroy Chasey faces the ball
    Had Notts dropped in 2008 or before, we wouldn't have a club right now, we were just getting by with EFL money, I'd hate to see the dirge we'd sign without it! Weirdly, even though there was no money, Munto saved the club

The trust years were brutally depressing, how not to run a football club.
    It was like a Dickensian nightmare, where the supporters were fed on gruel.
    I was there at the 5 1 defeat at Rushden.

I actually felt Butcher was harshly treated by Notts when we let him go, just as the Munto 'money' arrived. Of all the players, he was the one who i felt had earned the right to be offered an extension. I'm not sure how much he'd have played, but that's another question.

In answer to the OP, very little. It really was a dark time in the club's history. The 5-0 defeat at home to Macclesfield stands out however.

Unfortunately they were all my memories with the exception of my first season when we went up under Allardyce until the Munto season unfolded.

Even when we had Allsopp, Stallard and Heffernan at our disposal we always seemed to struggle. We were in administration for what seemed like an eternity to a kid.

The only genuine good runs we went on pre-Munto were 'The Great Escape' which culminated against Huddersfield in the only time Meadow Lane had looked remotely full to me up until perhaps Coventry in the play-offs and a 10-11 game spell at the start of Gudjon Thordarson's reign.

Chelsea away in the League Cup shortly after Abramovich had taken over was another highlight. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink scored perhaps the best solo finish I've seen live.

Notable mentions for Brett Angel, Marcel Cas and the one that never was ... Noh Alam Shah.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    I actually felt Butcher was harshly treated by Notts when we let him go, just as the Munto 'money' arrived. Of all the players, he was the one who i felt had earned the right to be offered an extension. I'm not sure how much he'd have played, but that's another question.

In answer to the OP, very little. It really was a dark time in the club's history. The 5-0 defeat at home to Macclesfield stands out however.
    A player who I think would thrive now 3 in midfield is vogue but was lumped with Mackenzie as his midfield partner.

Perhaps - we bought in Ravenhill, Bishop and Jackson over that summer who were all significant upgrades.

Which has just bought back a game away at Port Vale when we had Weston and Hamshaw. We won 2-1 in that chocolate and blue kit sponsored by Marsden's and I'm not sure if it was like a starved child being given an average meal and it tastes fantastic but I'm sure I remember us playing some absolute silk that day.

https://youtu.be/vufyh7x6-U8?feature=shared

Well it certainly wasn't the goals. Short corner though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast